Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Where is the story?

lestes

A game that looks this interesting deserves its chance to SAY SOMETHING, and no I'm not referring to nonsense scifi blurbs prior to the mission ("Alpha centauri is under attack, you need to get in there and protect it!" Yawn)

There are hundreds of Korean MMOs out there to grind and slash on - but I think the developers can really step beyond hack n slash basics of Warframe and provide an immersive and compelling storyline for players. Without this then what motivates the player?

The Darkness II's story was excellent but never detracted from the 'action' focus. How can Warframe replicate this, and how can it do it despite the iterative template MMO missions?

The nature of the missions - to me - lends itself to hostage rescue. What if each hostage had a small dialogue story to offer?

This is a Korean MMO? Really? I hate how everybody thinks this game is a copy off so many things, but it's really not, except the term warframe. I saw in a dev diary they looked up the name or something like that. If anybody just comes on the forums to say that this game is a copy off something and no better, then please, get out, as you have nothing better to do obviously. Back to the story part, I think the developers are working their hardest, so the game WILL get better.

The nature of the missions - to me - lends itself to hostage rescue. What if each hostage had a small dialogue story to offer?

I don't want to listen to Random McDumbNPC's life story about his dog while I lead his stupid &#! to the escape pod.

I actually kind of like that idea, maybe a 10-15 second thing. And Wiawyr, that was pretty funny, lol.

Would be even more bad &#! if each hostage had different personality like:

1. Bad S#&$ crazy (mumbles random things and shouts out some words like ''KILLED! DEAD! EXPLOSION IN SECTOR 5!''

2. Military hostage ( Tells you enemy numbers and their location, secret sotarage location perhaps?)

3. Civilian ('' OH F***! OH F***! Ima gonna get killed! I'm so @(*()$ dead....)

4. High class civilian('' Jesus the F*** have you been?'')

5. Punk (''you didn't need to save me, I was already on my way out, but since youre here do your job and get me out'')

6. Traitor (when you reach him and take him down 10 guys just spawn our of the blue)

Edited by GoneM4d

This is a Korean MMO? Really? I hate how everybody thinks this game is a copy off so many things, but it's really not, except the term warframe. I saw in a dev diary they looked up the name or something like that. If anybody just comes on the forums to say that this game is a copy off something and no better, then please, get out, as you have nothing better to do obviously. Back to the story part, I think the developers are working their hardest, so the game WILL get better.

lmao reading is too hard.

There is a story, but it's pretty much "Tenno are extinct, Grineer took over the solar system, take it back!"

This is a Korean MMO? Really? I hate how everybody thinks this game is a copy off so many things

Thanks for everyone's replies on story.

I never meant to say this is a copy of any other game or any Korean MMO - I only meant to say that I think the dev team is capable of producing more than a hack n slash based on their past work (and that many Korean MMOs only offer only that, which is a great weakness and disappointment).

It's interesting to hear some of your responses to this, though, especially..

I don't want to listen to Random McDumbNPC's life story about his dog while I lead his stupid &#! to the escape pod.

Then maybe it should be optional for people like you .. Maybe you could opt to save the 'materials' (ore, minerals, weapons cache) instead in a team of 4. That's the beauty of a coop mission over a 'party RPG' - it allows for variety, choice, and distributed responsibilities through the mission cooperation.

We're all aware that the closed beta is for ironing out mechanics and graphical issues, right? Also, that once the game becomes increasingly stable that they'll be able to dump resources and man hours on story development and extra level creation?

The biggest issue with everyone's complaints about the game, is that they are putting this example of a closed beta on a pedestal of a completed game. The reason why everyone is comparing Warframe to a completed, retail game is because it's that damn good. It's so good that nobody is sitting back in their chair and saying, "Oh yeah, this game is still in it's highest stage of development."

We are this company's testing team. In an exchange of being their game tester, they are giving us their 100% into listening to you, making changes based on your feedback, and giving you 24/7 access to their game servers to enjoy yourself with. The funds that most use to hire a testing team are being used to give us more refined work in each detail of this game.

Honestly, this is the biggest disappointment of Warframe. This whole Tenno, space Bushido thing could have made for a solid campaign in a standard release title. Instead it all just takes a really weak back seat to the gameplay which, while certainly cool looking and fun in a way, seems a bit repetitive thus far and all too much like "Vindictus in space". I was really hoping the story would factor into the game a bit more, but once you start designing around multiplayer and co-op, scripted events and story sequences go out the window because people either skip them or break them. Still, the option to run a "story mode" when playing Solo would have been a welcome addition.

We're all aware that the closed beta is for ironing out mechanics and graphical issues, right? Also, that once the game becomes increasingly stable that they'll be able to dump resources and man hours on story development and extra level creation?

The biggest issue with everyone's complaints about the game, is that they are putting this example of a closed beta on a pedestal of a completed game. The reason why everyone is comparing Warframe to a completed, retail game is because it's that damn good. It's so good that nobody is sitting back in their chair and saying, "Oh yeah, this game is still in it's highest stage of development."

We are this company's testing team. In an exchange of being their game tester, they are giving us their 100% into listening to you, making changes based on your feedback, and giving you 24/7 access to their game servers to enjoy yourself with. The funds that most use to hire a testing team are being used to give us more refined work in each detail of this game.

Really? The "buit it's beta guys!" excuse? We're pulling this old chestnut out again? How many times does it need to be proven wrong before people learn? Things like "oh, this is kinda janky" will get fixed. Things like "oh hey, you need to cram a whole new system in here" isn't at this stage. If the story was going to be more prominent, it would have been by now. It was a design choice to make it more or less a shallow framing for the general gameplay.

Edited by Kordesh

Honestly, this is the biggest disappointment of Warframe. This whole Tenno, space Bushido thing could have made for a solid campaign in a standard release title. Instead it all just takes a really weak back seat to the gameplay which, while certainly cool looking and fun in a way, seems a bit repetitive thus far and all too much like "Vindictus in space". I was really hoping the story would factor into the game a bit more, but once you start designing around multiplayer and co-op, scripted events and story sequences go out the window because people either skip them or break them. Still, the option to run a "story mode" when playing Solo would have been a welcome addition.

Really? The "buit it's beta guys!" excuse? We're pulling this old chestnut out again? How many times does it need to be proven wrong before people learn? Things like "oh, this is kinda janky" will get fixed. Things like "oh hey, you need to cram a whole new system in here" isn't at this stage. If the story was going to be more prominent, it would have been by now. It was a design choice to make it more or less a shallow framing for the general gameplay.

You can try to call it an excuse, but from what I've seen, the team is most focused on making sure the gameplay is correct before anything. Either way, neither one of us is within the Master or Grand Master category, so what we see is only on the outside. Want to really see what's going on? I suggest talking to a Master or Grand Master.

The funds just weren't there for the team to push an almost complete game out. We've volunteered to be their team. It'll be your choice to watch this game grow into something crazy-amazing. If you're that upset over an obviously unfinished product that's as glorious as this, might I suggest Hello Kitty Online?

The funds just weren't there for the team to push an almost complete game out. We've volunteered to be their team. It'll be your choice to watch this game grow into something crazy-amazing. If you're that upset over an obviously unfinished product that's as glorious as this, might I suggest Hello Kitty Online?

You might want to slow down on the kool aid.

Just throwing my 2 cents in here.

So far, the Developers have put their time into a solid foundation for the game. I would much rather the game launch with low amounts of content and a working stable build, than end up with something like Boringside 2 where there are 3 giant continents, and players with an i7 3770 are getting 15 fps.

I applaud this games developers for understanding that beta is for getting the game working, not for selling cheap content gimmicks.

Just throwing my 2 cents in here.

So far, the Developers have put their time into a solid foundation for the game. I would much rather the game launch with low amounts of content and a working stable build, than end up with something like Boringside 2 where there are 3 giant continents, and players with an i7 3770 are getting 15 fps.

I applaud this games developers for understanding that beta is for getting the game working, not for selling cheap content gimmicks.

I would like to point out that your CPU is not as big a factor of your fps as your graphics card(s) is/are. Also, there are a slew of developers who have said, "We'll add the missing parts after it's released, let's just get it out the door" and promptly abandon the project or only sell DLC for it.

I really think this game need a story because without solid story it would be juast another hack and slash game...Im disapointed,game can last long without a serious story behind,yes its fun and fast,but when you remove or play long cca 1 year what then,craft another sword or axe...

I think , personally will look for something else..if this stay at this level(no story).

Give more animation,not just one,give us something that say why are you fighting for..

Give every character personality, story behind him,why is he rhino,mag or loki...

Btw paying for color your avatar is just lame and bad,whats next paying for weapons color????..

i

Game is awesome for now,but if gonna stay like this i dont think is gonna be something special,just another game of many games....

Story is the key,all great games have great stories...

Cheers:D

I agree with the OP i jumped with joy when i heard about warframe because it looked so much like the original darksector tech demo for the ps3 from 2005. Then i jumped for joy again when i fould out it was indeed from the same ppl as the tech demo. I went nuts waiting for my beta key and then finally got my hands on this beta and i feel alot is missing or just rushed. I know this is a beta<and still very mucha work in progress however, but this is warframe for good sake the game that takes the 2005 E3 tech demo and terns into something beyond vapor wear and i feel like its has so much more it could do. Its not oozing with style like the demo was it had soul personality with substance....this feel like an imitation. I know DE can do amazing games with great story and i feel if this F2P game is to be competitive on the market it needs to get back to the roots of what made the tech demo so great back in 2005. I know the tenno are saving the solar system but from evil what-the grenier the corpus the techno plague!? So many questions to a potentially HUGELY compelling story and i know you guys at DE can make level designs wayyyyy better than what the beta players are currently seeing. Im incredibly hopeful for the future of this IP and where it can go i just truely want nothing more than DE to truly take a plung and give us that next great sci-fi driven story we have all been itching for. DE took a enormous risk even bringing this game to light in the F2P arena so why stop there you've gone so bust forth like seeds along the solar rails and take whats rightfully yours DE!!! (kuddos to anyone who got that reference ;)

Edited by UCANTSEETHIS