The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Do You Build A Pilfering Swarm Hydroid?

Brimir

Question

I just can't seem to get it right. If I try Power Range, the tentacles get far too spread out. If I try Power Duration, I can't recast it soon enough to respond to new enemies...

Halp!

Really, the 12 tentacle limit is pretty bad, innit? So many of them spawn on walls and stuff, way out of reach of enemies...!

9 answers to this question

you definitely don't need to add range. it can be beneficial to reduce it actually but the only way to do it is with narrow minded which brings me to my next point. 

i find the best way is still the old way modding for + max power strength, +efficiency, - duration, (100%range). i use CP aura, max blind rage, transient fortitude, intensify, fleeting expertise, streamline, natural talent, pilfering swarm, and r7 vitality/equilibrium with a catalyst and no forma and for me it works as best as hydroid can imo.

the only problem with this build is you probably need ev trin on the team but this way you can recast very fast and tentacles instantly kill enemies up to a fairly high level at which point you usually leave anyway. add a buffer equinox to the team and you can go more.

i tried + duration, - range build but enemies caught in tentacles are pretty difficult to hit unless you have an aoe weapon and the recast time is too much of a hassle if you cast it in the wrong place or enemies spawn somewhere else. also we all know tentacles are very bad at actually hitting enemies so in my book the faster i can recast the better. this build only works well in places you can create a bottleneck like a hallway or something. the only upside to it is you can fit 2 augment mods but overall i still prefer and use the old build.

Edited by ..atom..

Yeah I'm with atom, I still use pretty much the same build, it is just not as effective (still kills, less loot).

Transient, Intensify, Streamline, Fleeting, Pilfering, Natural Talent (+2 survival mods).

I use Natural Talent because although the animation isn't as bad as say Nekros' Shadows, when you only have 12% duration you'll be casting it a lot!

I have messed around with adding Stretch and Blind Rage into the mix, but Stretch doesn't seem to help much, and now you don't get extra loot from going over 200% power strength, I just prefer casting more often with better efficiency.

Edit: I should say Stretch works, but I'm often targeting specific mobs for certain mods, so find it counter productive.

Edited by Egg_Chen

you make a good point Egg_Chen. i was using blind rage to make sure enemies die instantly but i think your build is better since you can easily cast again on the same targets and kill them. i always prefer max efficiency if possible thnx for the tip.

Yeah I'm with atom, I still use pretty much the same build, it is just not as effective (still kills, less loot).

Transient, Intensify, Streamline, Fleeting, Pilfering, Natural Talent (+2 survival mods).

I use Natural Talent because although the animation isn't as bad as say Nekros' Shadows, when you only have 12% duration you'll be casting it a lot!

I have messed around with adding Stretch and Blind Rage into the mix, but Stretch doesn't seem to help much, and now you don't get extra loot from going over 200% power strength, I just prefer casting more often with better efficiency.

Edit: I should say Stretch works, but I'm often targeting specific mobs for certain mods, so find it counter productive.

Same build I run on my Hydro after the nerf. Works quite well. I'll sometimes slot in a Primed Flow as well. I never add range mods; it's better to keep the area of effect small, particularly with how unreliable the tentacles can be.

CC Hydroid now gets similar benefits from the Pilfering Swarm augment as a strength/nuke setup.

Minimized range (Narrow Minded), high efficiency (FE+Streamline) NT, decent duration to taste and defensive mods. 

Drop tentacles and his #1 on different spawn points to lock them down. Shoot grabbed enemies with some sort of AoE weapon.

Works best on defenses and mdefs, tho, where enemy pathing is predictable.

http://warframe-builder.com/Warframes/Builder/Hydroid/t_30_0200030030_2-0-10-5-4-2-6-2-5-8-8-5-55-5-5-256-6-3-396-3-3-411-1-10-492-7-3_2-12-411-8-6-11-396-9-5-6-55-6-256-9-492-9-8-14-f-f_0/en/1-0-24/

here's what i use nowadays (was full streamline and blind rage 4/10 before to get the magical 200%str). curative undertow to fuel the despoil nekros that should be with you; also adds a bit of survivability to the otherwise squishy pirate.