The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kunai Rebalance.

neKroMancer

Now I already have Kunai at lv10, I'm ready to give an assessment of this weapon.

Yes, lv10 assessment. You don't read it wrong.

Basic Kunai deals 45 damage/shot, throw extremely fast, extremely fast reload, ample spare ammo, reasonable clipsize. Did I mention it ignores armor? Yeah, it ignores armor.

Comparing this weapon to other pistols, it's insane performance compared to the rest of it's brothers. Other armor-ignoring weapon don't possess this kind of qualities. Paris ignores armor but require charge mechanic to actually shine. Boltor has low base damage. Bolto/Akabolto still require more advanced crafting in order to obtain. It's now Hek version of pistol. Undoubtly it needs rebalancing.

The problem is how to make it balance without creating an uproar from direct nerf since some players obviously bought the stalker bundle which has Despair, an even more powerful version of Kunai.

This is my proposals.

1. Get rid of autofiring mechanic. It allows extremely fast throwing rate.

2. Get rid of reload. Really, it breaks immersion. How on Mercury can one pick more than one Kunai up and throw it one at a time?

3. Lower the total spare ammo. Half the spare ammo won't hurt this weapon.

4. Add extremely short reload after each throw, just a short animation without the reloading circle.

5. Add charge mechanic similar to Paris. Normal throw doesn't ignore armor, charged throw ignore armor. Short charging time.

Well, sounds like a bit of a nerf. What do you guys think? How do you think Kunai should be balanced? Or why it should be left as it is? Comments are welcomed!

My totally biased opinion is to leave it as it is. It's currently my favourite weapon because of how totally destructive it is. Your proposals make sense, but it might also make the weapon really annoying.

In truth, it needs some sort of nerf or balance, but I don't know how they can do that without completely disappointing the players.

Edited by TheSmash

My totally biased opinion is to leave it as it is. It's currently my favourite weapon because of how totally destructive it is. Your proposals make sense, but it might also make the weapon really annoying.In truth, it needs some sort of nerf or balance, but I don't know how they can do that without completely disappointing the players.

Yeah, it has extremely powerful damage, borderlinely destructive. Players will complain if DE touch their favorite toy, especially shiny new one. However, leaving it as it is for too long will and nerf it right before the next update will create even worst impression. If DE is going to do something about it, they better do it fast.

It's only really destructive if you give it the time to shine and lvl it.

My Kunai are lvl30 and still, my lvl30 lato vandel beats them.

and yes, my kunai have every mod that i think would be good on them

all dmg mods with a couple others.

I can hit 3-400 dmg pershot with my lato, plus it has a multi shot 100%

so I'm hitting about 800 dmg a shot, with 15 shots.

Taken into account, I've worked for a while to refine my lato.

It basically goes to show, ANY weapon can be op with enough time and effort.

Leave it the way it is and buff the other weapons if you want.

If it's nerfed that's just another weapon that was once fun most likely ruined.

It's PvE not PvP.

It's impossible to buff other weapons to Kunai level, especially because of the armor-ignoring capability on normal hit. If DE decide to do that them just remove armor mechanic out of the game will be more logical solution.

And no, PvE still requires balance. Both gameplay and marketing reason.

It's impossible to buff other weapons to Kunai level, especially because of the armor-ignoring capability on normal hit. If DE decide to do that them just remove armor mechanic out of the game will be more logical solution.

And no, PvE still requires balance. Both gameplay and marketing reason.

Akbolto is just as powerfull, if not more as you get 30 rounds, plus can reduce the reload to be very close.

The Weapon may need a slight reduction in dmg dealt, maybe -10 or -5, an added charge attack that either throws multiple Kunai or charges one for higher dmg. It should not need to be reloaded. That's about it.

I think the weapon was made like this because its more of a melee weapon, and are supposed to be higher damage. Also there should be Kunai exclusive mods for incendiary, frost and regular explosive effects on impact or delayed.

why dont they put a charge mechanic on it to? i mean you can throw it fast, but if you do lower damage but with charge like the paris you can do full armor penitration. i think that would be badass to see a kunai knife being power thrown. js.

I already mentioned the charge mechanic on the OP, read all of my proposal.

I think this new Forma thing with polarity slots will make any weapon fairly powerful if you max out the slots.

You can destroy enemies with many combinations of weapons and powers easily If you know what you are doing.

Akbolto is just as powerfull, if not more as you get 30 rounds, plus can reduce the reload to be very close.

I already mentioned Akabolto in the OP. it require a lot more crafting in order to make a pair of this baby. Two Bolto, then combining them into one Dual. It's supposed to reflect the amount of time and resource spent making one.

Kunai can be obtained with half the effort.

at least with the stalker version of the paris, you can reasonably argue they are side grades... with the stalker version of the kunai, the kunai is indisputably inferior. I can't justify investing the time in the kunai because if i ever find the blueprint for the stalker version, all that work would be completely negated and i would have to start over again. 

maybe nerf the clip size of both and then raise one stat of the kunai, crit rate maybe? 

I can't justify investing the time in the kunai because if i ever find the blueprint for the stalker version, all that work would be completely negated and i would have to start over again.

To be fair, both versions are arguable cheap to make. Despair seems slightly more expensive than the Kunai because it requires Alloy Plates. Besides, it gives you more Mastery if you level both up. You may as well make the Kunai, level them to 30, and if you get Despair (good luck with that since the Stalker's drop rates are pretty broken) then sell the Kunai and swap over.

And I don't know about you, but I think the Kunai are very fun to use. I don't mind leveling both versions.

Edited by TheSmash

As far as I know, Despair has whopping 10 more damage without any disadvantage. Pretty severely bad design choice when the game decide to release two versions of the same weapon and one has clearly superior stat.

To me, balancing two Kunais is about making both of them roughly deal the same damage per clip (if it's going to stay as it is). Kunai deals 450 damage per clip (45*10 base stat) then Despair should deal the same damage per clip, decrease clipsize to 8 (rounded down from 8.18).

Reloading makes sense to me. You have 5 Kunai in each hand, and when you've thrown them all, you grab more from the "pouches" on your legs. The only problem is that you're only holding 1 Kunai in each hand.

Yeah, I don't know how to throw one Kunai when you have 5 of them in each of your hand. I want to get rid of reload because the animation clearly show that there is only one Kunai in each hand at a time, not 5.

I already mentioned Akabolto in the OP. it require a lot more crafting in order to make a pair of this baby. Two Bolto, then combining them into one Dual. It's supposed to reflect the amount of time and resource spent making one.

Kunai can be obtained with half the effort.

I made the Akbolto myself and have used them up to 30 and I sold them to make room for the kunai. So I already put in the 'effort' to get them. Some weapons could be bought easily up until the update where they are now blueprints but nobody was complaining they were too easy to obtain and required no effort.

The new Reaper Prime is supposedly about the same as the Scindo or Gram, both of which can be obtained much easier. It doesn't have to better because it takes longer to get, of course it would be nice!

sorry, but i rly dont get why you want this wep to get nerfed so bad? will it make your gameplay more fun? explain to me please, couse im having a hard time understanding why are you crying over miner thing thats not even gamebraking...

1. Get rid of autofiring mechanic. It allows extremely fast throwing rate.

This is very bad idea for any weapon in any game. This is because i don't use akbolto and hate shotguns.

When u press button gun must shoot. If it's not shootin, f*ck it.

I feel myself like a dumb &#! when pushin LMB rapitedly.

And it's worst decision.

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!

sorry, but i rly dont get why you want this wep to get nerfed so bad? will it make your gameplay more fun? explain to me please, couse im having a hard time understanding why are you crying over miner thing thats not even gamebraking...

I really do not understand it too. When HEK was nerfed you cry. When you got good weapon you cry. WTF guys? Just enjoy it.