Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur "avalon" Helm Balance

Fortune_Silver

I think the current bonuses for avalon are not as good as they could be. currently, you gain:

+25 Shield (As in 15+10, not 25%), and

-5% Health (Calculated from your total, not base health)

This means that while it is useful early on, as soon as you put in a shield or health mod, it effectively becomes obsolete, as the shield bonus is quickly overshadowed by the health penalty. therefore, i suggest this balance:

+15% Shields

-15% Health

In my mind, this would make it more useful at higher levels, as it would make it so that you have to weigh the benifits of an increase to your regenerating shields to the penalty to your non-regenerating health.

Also, the avalon helmet could use a prime version. it just looks silly on prime.

Thoughts?

why woud you want a higher reduction then?

As i said, the idea would be to make people balance the benifits of higher regenerating shields at the cost of lower, non--regenerating health. the percentage could change (like both 5% or 10%), its the idea of thats important

• 3 weeks later...

Keep in mind that the helm bonuses are rather selective. The bonuses only affect initial (level 0) base values, whereas the drawbacks affect total buffed values. If this has changed since I last bothered to research it, please feel free to correct me.

In other words, at rank 30 (with your suggestion), you'd have 255 HP and 315 shields, (With 300 and 300 being the standard values). The flat bonus Avalon gives is actually considerably better, if you calculate it. (285 HP and 325 shields)

Keep in mind that the helm bonuses are rather selective. The bonuses only affect initial (level 0) base values, whereas the drawbacks affect total buffed values. If this has changed since I last bothered to research it, please feel free to correct me.

In other words, at rank 30 (with your suggestion), you'd have 255 HP and 315 shields, (With 300 and 300 being the standard values). The flat bonus Avalon gives is actually considerably better, if you calculate it. (285 HP and 325 shields)

I THINK Shadowhunter was suggesting 15% of your TOTAL shields, i.e. 15% of 300.  Bringing you to 345.

Currently the avalon helmet gives you +25% of base shields (100) which will ALWAYS = 25 shields regardless of what you pile on or what rank you are.  Thus making it less effective at higher ranks on harder missions.

Edited by Hollow_Knight

I THINK Shadowhunter was suggesting 15% of your TOTAL shields, i.e. 15% of 300.  Bringing you to 345.

Currently the avalon helmet gives you +25% of base shields (100) which will ALWAYS = 25 shields regardless of what you pile on or what rank you are.  Thus making it less effective at higher ranks on harder missions.

The problem* with that approach, while definitely preferable, is that you'd likely have to rework all the other alt helmets as well. Can't have one helmet affecting total stats while the others don't. In a totally isolated example, however, that'd be a better tradeoff.

*I suppose 'problem' is a harsh word for it, but it turns a small balance tweak into an across-the-board change. Think of it as a kind of inertia.

Edited by SilentCynic

The problem* with that approach, while definitely preferable, is that you'd likely have to rework all the other alt helmets as well. Can't have one helmet affecting total stats while the others don't. In a totally isolated example, however, that'd be a better tradeoff.

*I suppose 'problem' is a harsh word for it, but it turns a small balance tweak into an across-the-board change. Think of it as a kind of inertia.

Just pointing it out, on the fence about this one myself.  I've always felt the helmets should be a CHOICE: there shouldn't be an inherent advantage to using them, just a shift in the numbers to support this or that playstyle.  That being said, some frames seem to get better tradeoffs on their alternate helmets.  10 energy is always 10 energy, as the abilites never cost more.  But 25 shields means a lot less to mob of of level 50 Moas than it does to a couple of level 4 Lancers.

Even the mods work that way really. It bases it off your level 1 stats. 40% more shields? No... if you started off with 100 shields, you get +40 shields per level. Even if your level 30 and have 300 shields now, since 40% of that would be 120 shields. DE likes screwing ya over in the numbers...

Considering your shields get destroyed so fast because your armor only applies to health and theres no damage reduction for your shields, I don't see why they cant give you the full amount. Enemies at higher levels shred you too fast.

Back on the topic though, yes I dont think the 25 extra shield is worth it, and I think the helmet itself is kind of ugly.