Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ammo 2.0

Rehtael7

The current ammo system is utterly broken and pointless. It only serves to reward players for using high damage per shot weapons by not requiring ammo pickups.

I suggest an overhaul that makes use of existing systems and assets and rebalances the ammo economy of existing weapons.

Ammo classes. Light, Medium and Heavy classes for each of the types. 

Light rifle ammo: For weapons like the Gorgon, Prisma Grakata, Quanta Vandal, Soma Prime

Medium rifle ammo: For weapons like the Braton Prime, Boltor Prime, Karak Vomit Wraith

Heavy rifle ammo: For weapons like the Grinlok and Sybaris

All three types are picked up using the same ammo pickup, but the amount of ammo restored varies with the weapon equipped, so that pickups give a more reasonable amount.

So let's say that Light rifle ammo (For the true bullet hose guns) restores 50 shots per pickup, the mediums restore 25 and the heavies restore 10.

This would of course mean that ammo drop rates would need to be reduced slightly, and ammo restores may need tweaks for this functionality. Ammo Scavenger mods would be kept the same (Since they're still useless) and Ammo mutation mods would need to be modified.

Sniper pickups

Bow Ammo: Restores 5 arrows. (Bows)

Light Sniper rifles: Restores 10 shots. (Vulkar, Lanka)

Heavy Sniper rifles: Restores 4 shots. (Vectis Prime, Snipetron)

Heavy explosives: Restores 3 shots. (Tonkor)

Shotgun pickups

Light Shotgun: Restores 25 shots. (Kohm, Boar Prime)

Medium Shotgun: Restores 10 shots. (Strun Wraith, Drakgoon)

Heavy Shotgun: Restores 5 shots. (Hek, Tigris)

Medium explosives: Restores 7 shots (Secura Penta, Ogris)

Pistol pickups

Light pistol: Restores 50 shots. (Dex Furis, Aksomati, Akzani, Twin Grakata)

Medium pistol: Restores 20 shots. (Despair, Hikou Prime. Akbolto)

Heavy pistol: Restores 10 shots. (Magnus, Akmagnus, Lex Prime, Vaykor Marelok)

Light explosives: Restores 8 shots (Sancti Castanas, Koolstar)

The next step would be time-consuming, but very worthwhile. The maximum ammo pools of each weapon would need to be modified between how much each pickup restores for the weapon type and how much ammo the specific weapon consumes.

For those with concerns about upcoming changes to multishot and how it would impact ammo, I've made a proposal that can be found here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/527949-a-fair-solution-to-the-multishot-problem/ give it a look and a comment if you'd like to see that idea garner dev attention.

While I do somewhat agree with the issues with Ammo, and that it could use a re-vamp considering it was created when there were not a lot of special-type weapons such as the Castanas, I would honestly wait for suggestions like these, as they will PROBABLY be addressed alongside their changes to Multishot and Damage mods, and the scaling of Weapons with levels, and the scaling of Enemies. I imagine to be honest that this will all be packaged into a Damage 3.0.

While I do somewhat agree with the issues with Ammo, and that it could use a re-vamp considering it was created when there were not a lot of special-type weapons such as the Castanas, I would honestly wait for suggestions like these, as they will PROBABLY be addressed alongside their changes to Multishot and Damage mods, and the scaling of Weapons with levels, and the scaling of Enemies. I imagine to be honest that this will all be packaged into a Damage 3.0.

That's the dream, but you never know with DE. They're the wild card.

Maybe specifically, separating sniper ammot and arrow ammo (Dread user) I have noticed that bow is under the sniper classification, but there is a sniper mutation and bow mutation. however dread gets a buff from rifle and and the sniper damage aura, since there are 7 different bows, maybe its time to make hem a separate class, make a bow version of serration and such.

just an option as a bower

That's the dream, but you never know with DE. They're the wild card.

Eh, they CAN be, but it's not like they just do S#&$ for no reason, they just often come up with stuff that you wouldn't think of. (The only exception I can really think of is the pain of having to craft Equinox's separate aspects, but I'll mark that up as just a bad choice). But in general they make good game-design choices, and I think a Damage 3.0 is obvious at this point, given all the things they mentioned possibly changing in the last Devstream.

Eh, they CAN be, but it's not like they just do S#&$ for no reason, they just often come up with stuff that you wouldn't think of. (The only exception I can really think of is the pain of having to craft Equinox's separate aspects, but I'll mark that up as just a bad choice). But in general they make good game-design choices, and I think a Damage 3.0 is obvious at this point, given all the things they mentioned possibly changing in the last Devstream.

They make often mixed choices. 80% Incredible choices, 20% awful choices.

And the reason behind equinox? Rush Platinum. That and I suppose it gives people a reasonable excuse to farm Drekkar Manics and Drekkar Manic bombards for Vermilion and Harbinger.

With all the upcoming listed changes, that's why I believe that Damage 3.0 is a long way away. A lot of other content is being pushed.

Very interesting idea.  I was thinking a while back that ammo pickups should be based more on some sort of percentages (of either mag or reserve capacity) rather than fixed amounts.  Picking up 20 pistol ammo per drop on machine pistols with only 200 reserve ammo is why they get made fun of being bullet hoses.  

This suggested list is nicely organized with the various categories (and sub-categories) of weapons that the Warframe Arsenal as expanded to.  My suggestion in relation to the ammo reserve pool would be to determine a set number of 'mags' weapons would have, with automatics having more while shotguns and explosives having max.  I don't have any concrete numbers to suggest though. >.<

Maybe specifically, separating sniper ammot and arrow ammo (Dread user) I have noticed that bow is under the sniper classification, but there is a sniper mutation and bow mutation. however dread gets a buff from rifle and and the sniper damage aura, since there are 7 different bows, maybe its time to make hem a separate class, make a bow version of serration and such.

just an option as a bower

I was also thinking about it, seems like the bows do need a seperate class. Not only the bows, I think that throwing seconderys (Hikou, Despair, Castans etc.) also need a seperate class.

I was also thinking about it, seems like the bows do need a seperate class. Not only the bows, I think that throwing seconderys (Hikou, Despair, Castans etc.) also need a seperate class.

The problem with doing that is then the odds of finding bow ammo drop due to the increase in varieties of ammo. So instead of a 1/4 chance of the ammo type you need, you get a 1/5 chance.