The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Changing Graphics Settings Has No Effect On Performance

GravesTheOutlaw

Question

Hi all,

I was getting frustrated with my FPS performance today so I decided to experiment with my settings.  I first ran a void mission and ran around a room in survival for 20 minutes at my current graphics settings (near max).  I got 45-60 fps, with an average of 52 during intense fights.  I then set all my settings to minimum or off and restarted the game and ran around the same room in survival again for 20 minutes.  I got 45-60 fps, with an average of 52 during intense fights.  My RAM usage stays around 750 MB.  I'm trying to get more performance out of my game but it's clear that none of my graphics settings have anything to do with my limited performance.  Does anyone have any tips?  Thanks.

I have already unparked my CPUs.

AMD FX-8320

Nvidia GTX 970

8 GB RAM, single-stick

5 answers to this question

update your drivers?

Actually, just updated my drivers today.

Disable vsync / remove fps cap.

Game chokes in intense fights.

If you keep your FPS noticably above 60, it will never drop below 60.

Will try this, haven't thought of it before.  I have adaptive VSync on in the Nvidia control panel but no Vsync or fps cap in game settings.  I'll report back in a bit.

Edit:  Doesn't help.  Intense parts of the game still cause the FPS to drop to 52ish.

I know my hardware isn't the best.  But the fact that changing my graphics settings from max to min has no effect on FPS at all screams "bottleneck" to me.

Edited by GravesTheOutlaw

Have you looked at CPU / GPU usage?

That should point out where the bottleneck is.

FPS caps can be also forced by other software if they interact with the game. (like overlays etc)

Nvidia might also have a game specific profile which triggers when the game is launched. Not sure about that, I got a radeon myself.

Does it go over 60 fps in the menus?

(My Profile screen uses the least resources so would probably be the best place to benchmark it)

Have you looked at CPU / GPU usage?

That should point out where the bottleneck is.

FPS caps can be also forced by other software if they interact with the game. (like overlays etc)

Nvidia might also have a game specific profile which triggers when the game is launched. Not sure about that, I got a radeon myself.

Does it go over 60 fps in the menus?

(My Profile screen uses the least resources so would probably be the best place to benchmark it)

I get 120-350 FPS in the menus.

Neither CPU nor GPU run at max, so I don't know which one would bottleneck if so.

The only overlay I use is Steam, tried turning that on and off with no avail.

I use a specific game profile for Warframe in my Nvidia Control Panel.

Any other ideas?