The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Drop Rate Discrepancy Reduction: A Proposal.

neKroMancer

There are many topics of late that were made concerning the gap which RNG create. Some players are able to acquire desirable items within an hour, some acquire it within a day, some simply can't find it. RNG at its finest. While I don't have statistical data to support these instance since it will require a cross-sectional study in order to pinpoint the percentage of drop, we all know that Skinner box technique which has been used in Warframe is flawed.

There is not enough win to incentivize player to keep playing.

The purpose of this topic are

1. Propose a new approach to drop rate.

2. Increase the sense of control for the player.

3. Decrease drop rate inconsistency while limiting win situation.

My method is simple: instead of relying solely on RNG, add a progressing bar within the drop mechanic. When the player completely fill the bar then something 'desirable' will appear.

1. Create the list of desirable specific to content.

2. Each item has specific progressing bar attached to it. RNG govern how large the bar should be.

4. After the bar is fulfilled, desirable will drop.

Difficulty will be a modifying value attached to the value of each action that fills the progression bar.

New player enters Mercury system at the beginning of the game. These bars maximum value is randomized through RNG. (All numbers are hypothetical, don't mind them).

IE. Rare mod bar randomized value is 40.

Each common mod drop in Mercury has value of 2.

Each uncommon mod drop in Mercury has value of 3.

No rare drop

Mercury has difficulty modifier of 1.

This mean new player has to pick up 14-20 mods, based on rarity and location, in order to completely fill the bar and force one rare mod to drop.

Afterward, when this player leave Mercury, the randomized value of the progression bar will be more 'varied' to reflect the inconsistency required to create desirable win/loss ratio. Most likely based on account rank. The more you progress through the rank, the min-max range is going to be wider but it should be bell-shaped normal distribution.

Other mission types like Endless defense, has its own specific kind of progression bar. Wave reward probably should be made to reflect performance instead of RNG. Time taken to clear 5 waves, level of AI involved in the defense, and pod damage should factored into 5 waves completion reward. If the value from these categories exceed certain value then there is higher chance of getting better reward.

Boss mission is more about killing things and the progression bar should reflect it. More enemies killed filled the bar and increase the chance of BP to drop. Rare material drop should be based on amount of material collected through the map.

Hope it's not overly complex. Comment and suggestion are appreciated.

This idea seems like a good fix.

But I just want a fury mod.. Just ONE. Is that too much to ask for, after about a hundred hours of playtime?

..I'll forfeit my eagle eye mod for it. ._.

Edited by Kazne

I just want to state that I'm mastery rank 7 150+ hours of playtime, and I still don't have a barrel diffusion and would appreciate some non-random element in the drop system. Be it a currency interface or a hidden one.