The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Coil Whine After 17.10.1

Cursemyname

Pc specs: Phenom x6 1090T, 8gb 1600mhz ddr3 ,Asus strix gtx 970, Crosshair V Formula MB

Getting Coil whine in game whenever vertical sync is off, fps option selected as no limit.

when fps limit is selected as 30, 60, 120, 200  in order to see if noise level from card is increasing, I found that it does increase with higher fps.

I hope this is the right section to post.

Well, that's not a warframe bug, its inherent to pretty much any graphics card.

Coil whine usually scales in intensity proportional to the FPS you are pushing through the output as expected.

Warframe isn't an intensive game graphically, so with vsync off, with no limit to fps your gpu would max out at insane FPS readings and whine like mad like a meowing cat until you open the door for him.

it was not happening before hotfix 17.10.1 , i think the issue is not from my side

The issue IS from your side, warframe should not cause PHYSICAL issue to your hardware, (except eg. Overheating)

ALSO, the GTX 970 is very popular for its coil whining issue.

Edited by crafturtoemc

You said yourself, you just disabled vsync and removed fps limit. That is what makes your card whine.

I was already playing without Vsync yesterday+all time time, no fps limit also. I just opened the game today and it card started to whine , tested by activating/disabling vsync , setting/removing fps limit if the issue is related to those and it turned out that they are related.

only thing that changed from yesterday to today in this experiment is the game.

edit: No CW in any other game.

Edited by Cursemyname

I was already playing without Vsync yesterday+all time time, no fps limit also. I just opened the game today and it card started to whine , tested by activating/disabling vsync , setting/removing fps limit if the issue is related to those and it turned out that they are related.

Have you switched from Fullscreen to Borderless or windowed or the other way around? Try to swich and see what happens.

Do you use Fraps, MSI afterburner or some other overlays? Those can interfere with vsync and fps caps.

Have you tweaked the nvidia control panel 3D options? Post a screenshot of them, maybe you were running with vsync all along forced through the control panel and just happened to get disabled.

Have you updated the drivers since yesterday?

Reboot your system and make sure nothing but warframe is running.

What are the other games you run without coil whine and no vsync nor fps cap?

Edited by dadaddadada

edit: No CW in any other game.

It could be the dampening material fallen off, or doesn't stick anymore...

Have you switched from Fullscreen to Borderless or windowed or the other way around? Try to swich and see what happens.

Do you use Fraps, MSI afterburner or some other overlays? Those can interfere with vsync and fps caps.

Have you tweaked the nvidia control panel 3D options? Post a screenshot of them, maybe you were running with vsync all along forced through the control panel and just happened to get disabled.

Have you updated the drivers since yesterday?

Reboot your system and make sure nothing but warframe is running.

What are the other games you run without coil whine and no vsync nor fps cap?

Switched from borderless to fullscreen and windowed, No change in sound level (no limit on fps)

I dont use any overlays like Fraps or Afterburner

Changing the Vertical Sync option in control panel between on/off did not lead to any change in sound levels (Warframe was open in background running on borderless screen mode with no fps limit)

No driver updates like in 2 months . Maybe I should do it.

Rebooting system and running warframe after did not change anything (no fps limit option was selected before reboot)

World of Warcraft, Assassin's Creed Rogue&Unity, CS:GO, League of Legends is running without fps cap&vsync

Switched from borderless to fullscreen and windowed, No change in sound level (no limit on fps)

I dont use any overlays like Fraps or Afterburner

Changing the Vertical Sync option in control panel between on/off did not lead to any change in sound levels (Warframe was open in background running on borderless screen mode with no fps limit)

No driver updates like in 2 months . Maybe I should do it.

Rebooting system and running warframe after did not change anything (no fps limit option was selected before reboot)

World of Warcraft, Assassin's Creed Rogue&Unity, CS:GO, League of Legends is running without fps cap&vsync

I think that for changes to take effect from the control panel you need to close warframe, modify and reopen. Make sure in warframe vsync is disabled if you are forcing through the driver.

One last thing.

Requesting average fps in league of legends and in warframe respectively, with graphics maxed out.

I think that for changes to take effect from the control panel you need to close warframe, modify and reopen. Make sure in warframe vsync is disabled if you are forcing through the driver.

One last thing.

Requesting average fps in league of legends and in warframe respectively, with graphics maxed out.

Control Panel seems to be not affecting in-game, strange

Warframe : Max Settings, no fps limit, no Vsync stable 280 inside Ordis, Avg 150 inside Solo mission, no matter how many effects &graphics was in present the noise level lowered with the lower fps is , lowest was 70 with lowest noise level.

League of Legends : Max Settings ,no fps limit, no Vsync, Avg 150, Sometimes got kicked to 350, lowest was 129, no noise in any means.

Control Panel seems to be not affecting in-game, strange

Warframe : Max Settings, no fps limit, no Vsync stable 280 inside Ordis, Avg 150 inside Solo mission, no matter how many effects &graphics was in present the noise level lowered with the lower fps is , lowest was 70 with lowest noise level.

League of Legends : Max Settings ,no fps limit, no Vsync, Avg 150, Sometimes got kicked to 350, lowest was 129, no noise in any means.

I am now downloading LoL to test on my system too.

I have a 750ti, and it does coil whine a bit on any framerate above 75 (not an issue for me because of the... peculiar layout of my pc but im digressing) but it happens on all games.

Will post results.

Updated my Driver to 358.87 and Cw is still there.

My test:

LoL tutorial: 310 fps average. Coil whine galore.

Warframe Liset: 204 fps average. Just as loud coil whine galore maybe a little less.

Turn on vsync to 75 fps on both, barely audible coil whine but still there.

Solved nothing. My results are as I would expect.

I don't think I can help further.

If you have 5 minutes to spare just 4 fun and science, try this:

Cap your framerate to something low like 5 or 10 fps (suggesting msi AB+rivatuner).

Put your ear close to the card while warframe is running.

You should ear very soft "ticks" one after the other at the rate of the currently set framerate. Coil whine happens because at a certain rate those ticks will start summing each other up and cause a loud constant avalanche effect.

Have fun

My test:

LoL tutorial: 310 fps average. Coil whine galore.

Warframe Liset: 204 fps average. Just as loud coil whine galore maybe a little less.

Turn on vsync to 75 fps on both, barely audible coil whine but still there.

Solved nothing. My results are as I would expect.

I don't think I can help further.

If you have 5 minutes to spare just 4 fun and science, try this:

Cap your framerate to something low like 5 or 10 fps (suggesting msi AB+rivatuner).

Put your ear close to the card while warframe is running.

You should ear very soft "ticks" one after the other at the rate of the currently set framerate. Coil whine happens because at a certain rate those ticks will start summing each other up and cause a loud constant avalanche effect.

Have fun

Thank you for sparing time to test my issue :) you were more helpful then you can imagine but I still think the issue is not on my end . Will open up my case to see If the card gathered any dust or dirt and clean it to see If it helps.