Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why The Universe Is

Institute-Marksman

This is not just some random thread in the cesspool that is Off Topic. This is serious, and I want to have your opinion on it. It's a little theory I came up with a few months ago, but only remembered a couple minutes ago. Enjoy!

It's a theory that connects multiple unexplained things about our universe. Let's say, the universe is surrounded by a bubble. Within this bubble, matter in it's normal state can't exist. This is where black holes lead to. Because nothing in it can exist the way we know it, so it is, quite literally, nothing. This bubble is influenced by gravity in such a way that(insert black hole theory) anything with a set amount of mass will puncture the bubble. This is why all regular matter is sucked into black holes. It is sucked into the bubble, where it becomes sub-matter. Sub-matter is essentially another state of matter which I cannot explain. But because it is sub-matter, it has virtually no mass(at least WAY less then we're used to). This bubble contains all the matter in the universe which has ever been swallowed into a black hole. The sub-matter remains in the bubble until the bubble reaches it's threshhold, and collapses in on itself because of it's vastness, creating a Big Bang.

Yeah. Sounds about right. This is essentially how I figured things go. Big bang start. Universe expands. Things with gravity go towards each other. Eventually black holes form. Eventually every black hole meets up and all collapse in on themselves into a single point of "infinite" mass and boom, cycle repeats.

The whole idea of "sub matter" being less than normal matter would work well for this bubble theory but I'd go so far as to say that matter is turned into a sort of energy with no actual mass. On the other side of the black hole, there is no mass, and so no density. High density will try to go into low density to equalize. If the other side of the bubble doesn't even count the mass in it- it has 0 density. 0 density means no matter how little mass is on this side, it will continue to flow to that side to equalize- "0-0".

The one thing I can't think of is afaik the more mass goes into a black hole, the denser it gets and the more gravity it creates. If what I just said was in fact the case, then it would have no mass, no density, and therefore no matter how much mass you send over, the "pull" shouldn't get any stronger, nor weaker. If black holes do get increased pull- then rather what has been said prior to this statement would be false, and mass does exist on the other side- and pulls through the black hole using more and more gravity as mass is added- therefore the black hole pulls stronger and stronger.

A couple finishing thoughts. This bubble though- let's call it the void- would have no actual "space". It is not a single point, it is not "nothingness" as the space we know of, it is absolute nonexistance of space, time, etc. Why exactly the exact amount of mass the universe is comprised of is the exact amount of mass it requires to explode back into a big bang would be something else that would be a good thing to think about.

Edited by Stratego89

This is not just some random thread in the cesspool that is Off Topic. This is serious, and I want to have your opinion on it. It's a little theory I came up with a few months ago, but only remembered a couple minutes ago. Enjoy!It's a theory that connects multiple unexplained things about our universe. Let's say, the universe is surrounded by a bubble. Within this bubble, matter in it's normal state can't exist. This is where black holes lead to. Because nothing in it can exist the way we know it, so it is, quite literally, nothing.[/size] [/size] [/size]This bubble is influenced by gravity in such a way that(insert black hole theory) anything with a set amount of mass will puncture the bubble. This is why all regular matter is sucked into black holes. It is sucked into the bubble, where it becomes sub-matter. Sub-matter is essentially another state of matter which I cannot explain. But because it is sub-matter, it has virtually no mass(at least WAY less then we're used to). This bubble contains all the matter in the universe which has ever been swallowed into a black hole. The sub-matter remains in the bubble until the bubble reaches it's threshhold, and collapses in on itself because of it's vastness, creating a Big Bang.[/size]

You're getting closer.....

Because nothing in it can exist the way we know it, so it is, quite literally, nothing.

Just want to point out that only because we don't know/understand that things can exist in oter ways/forms, doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't exist altogether. That would be somewhat ignorant of us, would it not?

Let's say, the universe is surrounded by a bubble.

Is there any specific reason why we'd assume that the universe is shaped like a bubble? Or did you mean it metaphorically?

This is why all regular matter is sucked into black holes.

Again, we don't really know if "only" regular matter is being sucked into black holes, mainly because we can't detect any other form of matter yet.

It is sucked into the bubble, where it becomes sub-matter. Sub-matter is essentially another state of matter which I cannot explain.

We don't really know what exactly happens inside a black hole. For all the guesses out there, the matter that's being sucked into it could be poured out in another corner of the known/unknown universe (wormhole theory).

The sub-matter remains in the bubble until the bubble reaches it's threshhold, and collapses in on itself because of it's vastness, creating a Big Bang.

This implies that when "our" Big Bang happened, there was something out there before, which would contradict the Big bang theory which states that there was nothing before the Big Bang.

I think that this is an interesting theory and a different way of viewing it, but personally (and respectfully) I find it to have more holes than swiss cheese.

Just want to point out that only because we don't know/understand that things can exist in oter ways/forms, doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't exist altogether. That would be somewhat ignorant of us, would it not?

Is there any specific reason why we'd assume that the universe is shaped like a bubble? Or did you mean it metaphorically?

Again, we don't really know if "only" regular matter is being sucked into black holes, mainly because we can't detect any other form of matter yet.

We don't really know what exactly happens inside a black hole. For all the guesses out there, the matter that's being sucked into it could be poured out in another corner of the known/unknown universe (wormhole theory).

This implies that when "our" Big Bang happened, there was something out there before, which would contradict the Big bang theory which states that there was nothing before the Big Bang.

I think that this is an interesting theory and a different way of viewing it, but personally (and respectfully) I find it to have more holes than swiss cheese.

I know, but I didn't really bother correcting it, since this is a game forum and probably not the best place to post something deep like this to get the attention it deserves. And yes, the bubble thing was metaphorically, to give it shape and make it recognizable. And that is just plain wrong. There actually WAS something before the big bang. It was just SO SMALL that it might as well have been nothing at all.

Listen, I'm no scientist and this is just something I slapped together with random scientific knowledge and imagination while riding the train.

Just so you know, we still don't actually know what black holes are, because none have been directly observed. Our theory on what black holes are is just guesswork. We do know something like them is out there, though. Think of the Higgs boson, for example.

Personally, I subscribe to the fuzzball theory. It solves both of the problems with black holes - the classic idea of a singularity (which breaks down modern physics) and the information paradox. In fuzzball theory, the singularity and event horizon is replaced with a ball of "strings", which, in string theory, are essentially the building blocks of matter and energy that vibrate in complex ways.

Here is an image describing the difference between a fuzzball and black hole;

I15-49-fuzzball.jpg

It just seems to make the most sense tbh, as it doesn't defy the laws of physics.

EDIT:

Oh, I'd just like to add that the universe has basically confirmed to be flat. So, while your idea is interesting, it has too many holes to make sense.

Edited by Gammaion

Too soon...all we know at this point is the universe is expanding every moment, and it's too large to confirm what you said...hell we can't even reach out of out own galaxy. And if I have to SWAG (scientific wild a$$ guess), I would say everything is possible until is proven wrong. Imaginations are what brought us here today, thank you for sharing, Tenno.

Too soon...all we know at this point is the universe is expanding every moment, and it's too large to confirm what you said...hell we can't even reach out of out own galaxy. And if I have to SWAG (scientific wild a$$ guess), I would say everything is possible until is proven wrong. Imaginations are what brought us here today, thank you for sharing, Tenno.

You are close...

I see what you did there. Unfortunately the whole thing is just a theory, but everything couldn't just have come out of nothing.

How do you know everything can't just come out of nothing? Who said so? Try to see beyond the narrow perception of an organism.

You see, before the universe was born, it is believed that there existed a false vacuum wherein many quantum fluctuations occurred (those are temporary changes in the amount of energy at a point of space) - and one of these fluctuations were stable enough and had the right conditions to initiate the inflation of our universe.

This would ultimately mean that the universe is... NOTHING! That's right. Absolutely nothing. If that is indeed true, it means that there are many, many other universes, blinking in and out of existence like bubbles (not that they are bubbles, of course, but that is the easiest way to describe something at such an unfathomable scale).

"But what about before all of that?" you ask? There wasn't a before. Time and space doesn't exist outside of our universe, so that concept doesn't apply.

Edited by Gammaion

How do you know everything can't just come out of nothing? Who said so? Try to see beyond the narrow human perception.

You see, before the universe was born, it is believed that there existed a false vacuum wherein many quantum fluctuations occurred - and one of these fluctuations were stable enough and had the right conditions to initiate inflation. This means that the universe is... NOTHING! That's right. Absolutely nothing. If that is indeed true, it means that there are many, many other universes, blinking in and out of existence like bubbles (not that they are bubbles, of course, but that is the easiest way to describe something at such an unfathomable scale).

How do you know everything can't just come out of nothing? Who said so? Try to see beyond the narrow human perception.

You see, before the universe was born, it is believed that there existed a false vacuum wherein many quantum fluctuations occurred - and one of these fluctuations were stable enough and had the right conditions to initiate inflation. This means that the universe is... NOTHING! That's right. Absolutely nothing. If that is indeed true, it means that there are many, many other universes, blinking in and out of existence like bubbles (not that they are bubbles, of course, but that is the easiest way to describe something at such an unfathomable scale).

Smart but.... not smart.

And who are you to say that? Our current knowledge of the universe is increasingly leaning towards this idea. It is a legitimate theory.

And who are you to say that? Our current knowledge of the universe is increasingly leaning towards this idea. It is a legitimate theory.

Exactly.

Who are you to not uderstand?

Exactly.

Who are you to not uderstand?

What? I think there was a misunderstanding. Whatever.

Anyway, quantum physics is pretty interesting stuff and just downright bizarre. OP, since physics apparently interests you, I highly recommend that you read about it. Same goes for string theory. They both solve many problems - the fuzzball is a good example of that.

Edited by Gammaion

What? I think there was a misunderstanding. Whatever.

Anyway, quantum physics is pretty interesting stuff and just downright bizarre. OP, since physics apparently interests you, I highly recommend that you read about it. Same goes for string theory. They both solve many problems - the fuzzball is a good example of that.

Yes there was. You do know what you're talking about. Our universe is just a bunch of numbers and facts that can go in any direction so I don't stick to one theory until I'm sure and... there are other reasons as well. 1+ to you sir.

Yes there was. You do know what you're talking about. Our universe is just a bunch of numbers and facts that can go in any direction so I don't stick to one theory until I'm sure and... there are other reasons as well. 1+ to you sir.

Yeah. I do hope that there'll be a concrete theory within this lifetime. Alas, probably not.

There already is.

I'm talking about from before the big bang. We're doing pretty well in the post-big bang department. What led to the birth of the universe is anyones guess. It could be the creation of a deity, it could all just be a simulation, or the product of quantum fluctuations, to name a few.

I thought this discussion is about the Logical theory of the Universe, turns out to be a Physical theory.

Oh well.

Logical theory is a theory without all the math, right?

Edited by Gammaion

I'm talking about from before the big bang. We're doing pretty well in the post-big bang department. What led to the birth of the universe is anyones guess. It could be the creation of a deity, it could all just be a simulation, or the product of quantum fluctuations, to name a few.

Logical theory is a theory without all the math, right?

You are good at theories and are close to the correct answer... no matter how much we find out there will always be more.