Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Horror...

Gigatron-Prime

How about some friends for the Stalker, the tensest moments I've had I. Warframe so far is when I've been in the middle of a huge fight and the lights start to flicker and then it's waiting for him to show up and start whomping on you. Or a Stalker infected with the technocyte virus, Warframe powers on a genetic horror, yes please.

Warframe has great atmosphere for horror which is why I think it can fit. We're in space.

To make truly good scares you need atmosphere, music, and to a degree accompanying gameplay or enemies to compliment. Most important is the atmosphere and music though.

The setting is perfect. The infested levels where the power is out is a great example of Warframes atmosphere that can be horrific.

Here is an experiment to test the validity of Warframe's ability to achieve a sense of horror:

Try playing an infested mission (best horrific atmosphere thus far I think) with some accompanying appropriately horror themed atmospheric music.

For a truly great scare:

1. you need an environment that has nothing but hatred for you, where everything is trying to kill you, or seeming like it

2. the appropriate unnerving sounds including silence

3. the feel that you can do nothing, that no matter what you do you are helpless and alone, and finally

4. the ability to relate.

While I do think the Infested are great at starting the horror, we need more than that. We need those flying spore to attacks us at random points for little more than a stagger until we shake them off, we need those mouths on the floor and walls to reach out towards us and slow us down if we step in them. The enemies themselves need to be smarter, to be able to move in ways we can't predict or understand. They would need the ability to absorb our bullets with little to no impact, to require some unhealthy alternative to defeat, if we could defeat them at all without simply running away. And finally, we would need to feel like we were in total danger.

When I play Warframe, I don't feel threatened, I feel exhilarated because I am a wall running frontflipping ninja with the ability to use sound as a weapon. Or a slow and methodical monk with the power to snap-freeze moisture to chill and rend apart people in my path. There would need to be several, drastic changes to everything in the game to make any attempt at a horror game.

Nightmare mode: Horror. Stalker-like whispers heard throughout the game, overall brightness reduced, rooms randomly smeared with black/red patches / overall hue shift, random pitch-black dead-end rooms, random appearance of moving shadows. Constant random stalker-like harassment - strike once and disappear.

yea new nightmare mode immortal stalker stalking you and attacking then fade away and going on until you are out of the mission

maybe the same on infested but a rare and strong infested that comes from nowhere then disappears or stays and killing you if you ain't strong or fast enough

NO. This game at it's core is a shooter. It was not designed for horror.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/combining-genres

"Do not mash genres together simply because you like each of them."

^ That right there says it all. In order to have a good horror you have to be doing that from the ground up. That plus the fact that we end up farming in this game. Playing the same level again and again. Even if they put something in there to scare you once, maybe even twice, how many times do you think it will take being exposed to the same stimulus (sudden spooky sounds, blood dripping down the wall) before it just wears off and turns from a "gasp" to "meh, right on cue."

Any "horror" effects added to atmosphere we will get used to so fast it's not even worth trying. Think of all the tile sets you can take two steps into and know exactly where to go cause you have that tile memorized from repetition without even trying to. In addition, you can't really scare me cause I am powerful and you're not going to make a horror aspect that has any real chance of killing me cause we only get free 4 revives a day. Watch people cry Pay2Play when you implement a horror mob that is actually dangerous to the player.

Look this isn't a bad idea, this game is just not set up for it. Just like it's not set up for pvp. I wouldn't expect the devs to throw in a lot of humor either cause it's not part of the core element of the game (that's why they said in a live-stream that there probably won't be any /dance).

This idea on the surface sounds great. But if you did it right you would have a whole new game. And if you don't do it right it will just be super cheese. So, no. No horror. Go play amnesia dark descent. Maybe put My Little Pony on your second monitor, that's pretty scary, what with all those colors.  O,O

Seriously, how scared can you be with a gun and a shield? Go play amnesia.

Edited by Carcharias

Nope. I think it fits and can work if done correctly. Only the infested can do this though. The other factions not so much.

I don't think you fully understand "horror". Tenno are too powerful for real horror. Could you make the infested a little bit scary**? Sure. But not real horror. For that matter all the factions could be "horror" but again, if you took the time and effort to do it right you would have a whole new game. Horror isn't something you can just add into a game willy nilly cause it'd be kewl. When you try to do that you end up with crap.

Did you watch both of the extra credits videos linked in this thread? The first describes how horror works. From that one you should be able to see plainly that this game is not set up for horror. The second link details how bad it is to impulsively mix and match genres. It is not wise. Especially this far into beta.  It would depart from what this game actually is. To make any faction in this game really truly "horror" would destroy the current game all together.

** Keep in mind that as often as we farm the same places that any amount of "scary" you add will be bland after 3 or 4 runs at best.

Nope. I think it fits and can work if done correctly. Only the infested can do this though. The other factions not so much.

The Infested are not horror in the context of Warframe. Nothing can be horror in the context of Warframe, without breaking the design premises of Warframe.

We have guns. The Infested die horribly when we shoot them with our guns. If our main guns run out of bullets, we have smaller guns. If all our guns run out of bullets, we have Sufficiently Advanced Technology allowing us to lunge across the room and slice a dozen or more of them into giblets, or spontaneously set them on fire, or freeze them in their tracks. If our Sufficiently Advanced Batteries run out, then we have a flaming freezing electrified swords and spears and knives and hammers and axes to smack the living daylights out of them.

At best, you can get a jump scare or a grossout out of them.