Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ranking Up Trial Penalties Are Horrible

vertibration

It warns you with a big message that you will need to qualify again.
You could just ask people/look up the content of the trial on the internet and be prepared for it.

You failed. You can't immediately try again. Makes sense.

I'd rather the delay have a counter on your bar. I also wish it was more clearly explained what would happen if you failed the test and that it would include that all masteries gained would be retained for your next level. 

It warns you with a big message that you will need to qualify again.

You could just ask people/look up the content of the trial on the internet and be prepared for it.

You failed. You can't immediately try again. Makes sense.

Here's a crazy idea...they give you the information needed to progress while actually playing the game.

Going into the rank 5 > 6 challenge without looking for "spoilers" shouldn't be required and is bad game design. You go in and immediately you're thrown into a challenge where you have no idea what will happen. If you happen to look away in the first 5 seconds you're pretty much screwed.

At the very least they could give a short practice run before it actually starts.

In short, put information required to play the game in the actual game. Warframe suffers from that problem in lots of areas.

Edited by f3llyn

Well, the rank 6 challenge, the Lotus tells you they will test your marksmanship and then the camera locks pointing at the shiny white ball.

It's not rocket science.

Something must have changed then, didn't do that when I took that challenge, that was a friggin nightmare to complete.

But yeah, some sort of trial run would be nice, maybe have some sort of... "holodeck" at the Dojo where you can see/practice the test.

I personally would like to retake tests for ranks 1-5, when I first took them, these new tests weren't implemented.

They were all the 'kill everything' variety, now I'd like to experience these new ones myself, without creating a new account.

Edited by Playford

Here's a crazy idea...they give you the information needed to progress while actually playing the game.

Going into the rank 5 > 6 challenge without looking for "spoilers" shouldn't be required and is bad game design. You go in and immediately you're thrown into a challenge where you have no idea what will happen. If you happen to look away in the first 5 seconds you're pretty much screwed.

At the very least they could give a short practice run before it actually starts.

In short, put information required to play the game in the actual game. Warframe suffers from that problem in lots of areas.

Well here is a shocker, how about paying attention to eve when she explains the trial knowing that you will have to wait 24 hours if you fail.

FWIW, have not failed a trial yet, nor have I needed to use the wiki, they are not exactly hard, IF you pay attention to the instructions. Took a reset and its even easier second time through knowing what is coming; would love to be a fly on the wall watching some of you do test 8/9 for the first time.

Edited by HexCaliber

As a new player I failed the first rank mission because :

- She asked me to use guns (and I supposed it was guns only).

- There's a circle, and I thought it was here so I didn't have any right to go out of it. Enemies were hiding so I could not kill them in time.

These are newbies mistakes, but this game doesn't explain things enough.

No;

The rank up is meant to be a challenge, though those "Challenges" are easy enough.

If you can't complete the challenge, you don't deserve the next rank, that's what it's there for.

A penalty timer is just to stop people trying over and over and over again until they fluke it.

If I had my way, a failure would reset your mastery bar, Though i realise this is impossible on the current model (after all, you can't relevel weapons without forma)

I say leave it as is, and let stupidity punish itself.

So beginning a game is considered stupidity. That's a good point... oh.. wait...

A game who ask you to do your search outside of it (online) in order to successfuly pass it is kinda strange in my opinion.

Edited by Froh

So beginning a game is considered stupidity. That's a good point... oh.. wait...

A game who ask you to do your search outside of it (online) in order to successfuly pass it is kinda strange in my opinion.

last I checked, the lotus tell you exactly what you need to do for each mission;

survive using only side arms

Kill all enemies within the time limit

hack all the consoles...

It's not even slightly complicated.

last I checked, the lotus tell you exactly what you need to do for each mission;

survive using only side arms

Kill all enemies within the time limit

hack all the consoles...

It's not even slightly complicated.

Except it's not all true. The circle was a mistake on my part, but the other thing was not.

"- She asked me to use guns (and I supposed it was guns only)." < The mission didn't require me to use guns only.

It's not just the penalty, it's the tests themselves. As noted, you're given no information about them until you actually start one.

That's pants on head stupid unless you're deliberately setting up the player to fail. I know from experience, when marksmanship qualification comes up in basic and throughout your time in the military when you need to requalify, you're informed about the test beforehand, what you should do to prepare, etc. ditto for your PT tests, whatever.

If your system is losing out to guys that actually lobbed gas at their trainees, made them run a couple miles in full MOPP gear during a Georgia summer and adopt a prone firing position on asphalt and gravel without elbow or knee pads for hours at a time, it may be time to re-examine it.

Another problem is that the overwhelming majority up to rank 6 don't even test skill, they test equipment. Try to pass the rank 6 test with a Snipetron or unmodded Hek, I guarantee you'll fail simply due to reload time, even if you otherwise never miss a target... in a marksmanship test.

Finally, a good chunk of the tests are tedious, very few of them involve things we haven't done hundreds or thousands of times before, and then we have to do it a couple more dozen times in the tests themselves. It's the primary reason I liked the rank 5 test, it alleviated a good chunk of the problems I've listed thus far, it didn't matter how well-modded your weapons were and it involved more complicated ciphers that hadn't come up in the main game.

I think that the Ranking up Trial penalty should only be like 1/2 hour, or not at all.  Its so stupid to make it 24 hours.  Why?  It only &!$$es people off

At first I thought as you.

Then after failing my ranking up to 6 twice (or was it to 7 ? Don't remember) I used the day I was given to train myself.

And now I like it. It's more bushido-like : take your time to do things right. It adds a bit of pressure while you pass the exam.

I think they fix it or something. I remember when i just started. I failed my first rank test 2 times. Lotus just said, Kill all the enemies." First i ran around killing them. Wondering so easy meh? No timer No enemy limit. Nothing to worry about. Slowly shoot shoot. Then try to use my melee. Eh sword didn't come out. Hmmm my keyboard bugged? Lets go options and check. *DENG* Mission failed. What?! 

Next try. Listen very carefully. She still said the same thing. Ok fine... Hmm i wonder the circle... Is it that i fail cause i leave the circle for too long. Lets try standing in there and shoot. *DENG* Mission fail. Seriously?

Third try. I just ran around shooting and killing them as fast as my MK1 Braton could and yeah i PASS. Wonder if its bugged or what. There was no timer... all along. 

As a new player I failed the first rank mission because :

- She asked me to use guns (and I supposed it was guns only).

- There's a circle, and I thought it was here so I didn't have any right to go out of it. Enemies were hiding so I could not kill them in time.

These are newbies mistakes, but this game doesn't explain things enough.

LOL when i did my rank two challenge i thought i could only use my pistol.

Agreed though the game doesn't explain these things well 

Edited by BoompigXD

It's not just the penalty, it's the tests themselves. As noted, you're given no information about them until you actually start one.

That's pants on head stupid unless you're deliberately setting up the player to fail. I know from experience, when marksmanship qualification comes up in basic and throughout your time in the military when you need to requalify, you're informed about the test beforehand, what you should do to prepare, etc. ditto for your PT tests, whatever.

If your system is losing out to guys that actually lobbed gas at their trainees, made them run a couple miles in full MOPP gear during a Georgia summer and adopt a prone firing position on asphalt and gravel without elbow or knee pads for hours at a time, it may be time to re-examine it.

Another problem is that the overwhelming majority up to rank 6 don't even test skill, they test equipment. Try to pass the rank 6 test with a Snipetron or unmodded Hek, I guarantee you'll fail simply due to reload time, even if you otherwise never miss a target... in a marksmanship test.

Finally, a good chunk of the tests are tedious, very few of them involve things we haven't done hundreds or thousands of times before, and then we have to do it a couple more dozen times in the tests themselves. It's the primary reason I liked the rank 5 test, it alleviated a good chunk of the problems I've listed thus far, it didn't matter how well-modded your weapons were and it involved more complicated ciphers that hadn't come up in the main game.

At first I thought as you.

Then after failing my ranking up to 6 twice (or was it to 7 ? Don't remember) I used the day I was given to train myself.

And now I like it. It's more bushido-like : take your time to do things right. It adds a bit of pressure while you pass the exam.

I agree with both of these points combined. 

Mostly because taking your time to do things right requires knowing how to do them right in the first place. If you don't know how to do it right in the first place, and the test barely requires you to do it right...what is there to practice? This defeats the purpose of what tests are for in the first place and reduce the rank up tests to glorified side-quest challenges. 

Except...even the side-quest challenges do a better job than the rank up tests.

Might be a little harsh but this is how I feel.

When I had to kill 'this many enemies' in this span of time I didn't get penalized for not using a side-arm. I used my rifle. Got everything done quickly, passed the rest. Got my rank.

No.

This isn't how it should work.

Edited by Hauteclere