Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Consider Changing The Energy System.

Annnoth

I know this has been posted quite a few times but I can't help but get this concern off my mind. I'm not going to propose an new system because I can't think of one. I'm not very smart.

Energy is fine, I thought it was from the start but as I played I felt it is a hindrance not only to gameplay but gameplay styles. My first warframe aside from the starter was trinity. After that it was the only warframe I used (also because the 2 slot system is ridiculous making us pay for more than 2 play styles at a time) because of energy vampire. I can conjure up infinite energy and use it to how ever extent I want, usually invincibility since I have streamline and focus so I regenerate more energy than is being used with a Link+energy vampire combo.

The idea of having to collect energy orbs constantly just to use the most fun part of the game, the skills, doesn't sit well with me. Before I finish I just want to say this is just me, I bet there are people perfectly fine with energy and I know there are people who aren't. I'm just voicing my own opinion on energy rather than calling it dull.

Also please sort out the 2 warframe slot issue. I will pay for a lot of things like cosmetics, rushing crafting, or even buying the item, but I won't pay to have 1 extra play style available to me.

"oh you want to be have a healer, a tank, AND a steath class?"  says the game "yes" I say with earnest smile on my face while wearing tatter clothing with dirt lining my face "Well too bad, 20 platinum please." the game says with its pockets jingling from the sound of coins. Upon being told I cannot play how I want without paying I then closed the menu screen and went back to playing trinity for 200 more hours.

Thus is the story of how I never made a third warframe... Well I did but i didn't have a slot for it.

Edited by theharddrinkingapplejack

The slots issue is simply a matter of DE need to make money, warframe and weapon slots are a good money sink, people will buy it, DE make money, DE keep making awesome content. Grow up and spend 20 plat if you're already buying cosmetics.

Personally I have no problem with the energy system, perhaps a different collection method to orbs (they don't seem too lore-friendly) maybe terminals that you can siphon energy from or something. If we didn't have it then all skills would be OP and therefore would be nerfed, no thank you.

What is this 2 warframe slot issue you speak of?

Not sure if that's a joke or not but I'll still explain it a little more. You can only hold 2 warframes, that's 2 playstyles at a time. This means I can only be healer, or 1 other frame so I chose tank. But what if I want to have a stealth frame but keep my tank and healer for solo or group runs respectively? I have to pay for 1 more warframe slot. Since warfames are basically playstyles, I have to pay for more than 2 playstyles if I have the audacity to keep any of them.

Not sure if that's a joke or not but I'll still explain it a little more. You can only hold 2 warframes, that's 2 playstyles at a time. This means I can only be healer, or 1 other frame so I chose tank. But what if I want to have a stealth frame but keep my tank and healer for solo or group runs respectively? I have to pay for 1 more warframe slot. Since warfames are basically playstyles, I have to pay for more than 2 playstyles if I have the audacity to keep any of them.

So... what?

Edited by GoatGodJohn

you want superficial things for cash, but not things that would expand your options? or are you saying "put a price on things i wouldnt want or care about, take them off the things i actually want"?

skills are the most fun part, for you. at its core the game is about being a warframe. having guns, and melee, and skills. they all have to balance out. consider how much damage skills do, then think about being able to use them constantly at no or little cost. what would be the point of guns? we already have skills that wipe a room.

people would run around wondering "whats the point of guns and swords? its so much easier just to use my skills".

also consider that almost all of your progression is in your guns. skills you get when you build a frame, then just level. can be done instantly if you have other mods to max them out when you get them.

skill/weapon balance is fine. the energy system works. it is a system that replaced one where skills were too spammy already. pay for stuff, it supports the game.

The slots issue is simply a matter of DE need to make money, warframe and weapon slots are a good money sink, people will buy it, DE make money, DE keep making awesome content. Grow up and spend 20 plat if you're already buying cosmetics.

Personally I have no problem with the energy system, perhaps a different collection method to orbs (they don't seem too lore-friendly) maybe terminals that you can siphon energy from or something. If we didn't have it then all skills would be OP and therefore would be nerfed, no thank you.

Well first off look at TF2. You don't have to pay for more than 2 classes and they are making so much money, true they already were popular from the start. A better example, league of legends. They only sell cosmetics and any champions you buy you keep, no maximum capacity (I think)

Also I never asked for you opinion especially one worded fairly rudely. This is my opinion, I am voicing it.

Lastly, you can make a new energy system and not have skills be OP. They can change the skills to work better with the abilities like more spam-ability, less damage, and a faster casting time or something like that.

Edit: oh yeah, I also don't have to pay cash. Which is why I am not buying this. Consider that people have low incomes and instead of throwing 5 dollars at a game they could save it for a rainy day. I play free to play games be cause they are free, not entirely but if I feel inclined rather than pushed to buy it earns my money at some point in the future.

Edited by theharddrinkingapplejack

Aha, sorry about that. I just forgot that 2 is the default number of slots you get.

you want superficial things for cash, but not things that would expand your options? or are you saying "put a price on things i wouldnt want or care about, take them off the things i actually want"?

skills are the most fun part, for you. at its core the game is about being a warframe. having guns, and melee, and skills. they all have to balance out. consider how much damage skills do, then think about being able to use them constantly at no or little cost. what would be the point of guns? we already have skills that wipe a room.

people would run around wondering "whats the point of guns and swords? its so much easier just to use my skills".

also consider that almost all of your progression is in your guns. skills you get when you build a frame, then just level. can be done instantly if you have other mods to max them out when you get them.

skill/weapon balance is fine. the energy system works. it is a system that replaced one where skills were too spammy already. pay for stuff, it supports the game.

I said this just now and I guess I could go for saying it again. No everyone has money to spend, some people have low incomes and it's the very reason they are playing free to play games. If I had money to spend I'd spend it, probably on colors or something that makes a F2P model good. Something that makes me feel inclined to buy rather than pushed.

Well first off look at TF2. You don't have to pay for more than 2 classes and they are making so much money, true they already were popular from the start. A better example, league of legends. They only sell cosmetics and any champions you buy you keep, no maximum capacity (I think)

Also I never asked for you opinion especially one worded fairly rudely. This is my opinion, I am voicing it.

Lastly, you can make a new energy system and not have skills be OP. They can change the skills to work better with the abilities like more spam-ability, less damage, and a faster casting time or something like that.

Edit: oh yeah, I also don't have to pay cash. Which is why I am not buying this. Consider that people have low incomes and instead of throwing 5 dollars at a game they could save it for a rainy day. I play free to play games be cause they are free, not entirely but if I feel inclined rather than pushed to buy it earns my money at some point in the future.

Make another account.  Problem solved.

I said this just now and I guess I could go for saying it again. No everyone has money to spend, some people have low incomes and it's the very reason they are playing free to play games. If I had money to spend I'd spend it, probably on colors or something that makes a F2P model good. Something that makes me feel inclined to buy rather than pushed.

Not everyone has disposable cash, of course not, but DE need to make money, you get all the gameplay content for free as it is but yes, you have no choice but to be limited else we wouldn't have these kinds of games because a completely free game is financially impossible. DE need money, to pay for servers, to pay their staff, you want a high quality game that you personally don't have to pay for? The expect to be limited so that OTHERS will pay and keep DE from bankruptcy.

50 starter platinum really alleviate the trouble. It's the solution which we have right now. Spend 50 plat on extra slots, both weapons and frames will extend your playtime quite a lot. I think DE probably going to implement something about it at some point but, well, slot is the cheapest things in the game and I don't think spending 1.3 USD for one frame slot and less than 1 USD for 2 weapon slots are problematic. You can get everything else simply through playing after all.

About the energy system.

I think there is a lot to fine tune the system. DE want ultimates to be a panic button but the current system simply doesn't work like that. I have been playing with a lot of players, some use power sparingly, some spam it like a madman. It's really up to DE to bring their vision of gameplay into reality. My suggestion is rather extreme: limit usage of ultimate per mission. If they are intended to be an emergency, get off me button, then make them behave like one. This way, they can use whatever system on the rest of the powers. CD or energy is going to be fine if ultimates turn into consumable.

I'm soooo going to get flamed for this. Haha.

Wow... I can't believe I never thought of that. :p

I'm sure there are some ramifications for that but I'm going to try that. Thanks!

I cannot tell whether or not you're being sarcastic, but if you are there is no reason for you to complain about the account space.  Everyone is given free platinum when starting the game.  If you were a closed beta player you'd have a total of 150 free platinum.

I never paid money on this game either, but it's damn easy to make another account for more warframe slots.

Not everyone has disposable cash, of course not, but DE need to make money, you get all the gameplay content for free as it is but yes, you have no choice but to be limited else we wouldn't have these kinds of games because a completely free game is financially impossible. DE need money, to pay for servers, to pay their staff, you want a high quality game that you personally don't have to pay for? The expect to be limited so that OTHERS will pay and keep DE from bankruptcy.

I understand they need their money, of course. I'm in the same situation but it's possible to not limit someone and still make money. Look at TF2, Leage of legends, they have no limitations other than you have to play a bunch to unlock this stuff. True they are popular but who's to say warframe isn't popular as well? It's not TF2 or LoL popular but it's still pretty well known from what I've seen.

Really this was feedback, a suggestion to take a look into things and try and make it better. No matter how it sounds I wasn't complaining. I can see both sides of this but I was merely giving my simple opinion.

50 starter platinum really alleviate the trouble. It's the solution which we have right now. Spend 50 plat on extra slots, both weapons and frames will extend your playtime quite a lot. I think DE probably going to implement something about it at some point but, well, slot is the cheapest things in the game and I don't think spending 1.3 USD for one frame slot and less than 1 USD for 2 weapon slots are problematic. You can get everything else simply through playing after all.

About the energy system.

I think there is a lot to fine tune the system. DE want ultimates to be a panic button but the current system simply doesn't work like that. I have been playing with a lot of players, some use power sparingly, some spam it like a madman. It's really up to DE to bring their vision of gameplay into reality. My suggestion is rather extreme: limit usage of ultimate per mission. If they are intended to be an emergency, get off me button, then make them behave like one. This way, they can use whatever system on the rest of the powers. CD or energy is going to be fine if ultimates turn into consumable.

I'm soooo going to get flamed for this. Haha.

Problem is I didn't know about the 2 slots until about 50 hours after I spent it :p

I'm far too into the game to do a reset sadly. Like someone said I'll just make a new account.

I understand they need their money, of course. I'm in the same situation but it's possible to not limit someone and still make money. Look at TF2, Leage of legends, they have no limitations other than you have to play a bunch to unlock this stuff. True they are popular but who's to say warframe isn't popular as well? It's not TF2 or LoL popular but it's still pretty well known from what I've seen.

Really this was feedback, a suggestion to take a look into things and try and make it better. No matter how it sounds I wasn't complaining. I can see both sides of this but I was merely giving my simple opinion.

Trouble is, like you mentioned before, TF2 was already popular, with a large player base, and had probably recouped is dev costs in its original sales. As for LoL, yes, their system works for them, but I don't think you can really apply the same business model to Warframe as the gameplay and player base are somewhat different, LoL's focus on PvP makes certain things more viable while cutting off other things, whereas Warframe's PvE focus does the same for different aspects, eg someone was complaining about warframe costs previously and used LoL champions as a comparisson, but a warframe takes longer to develope and balance for a PvE and much more detailed (model wise) rendition than a LoL champion, which means more staff being paid more money, so warframes have to be more expensive to cover those costs.

I'm not an accountant, and I don't know how DE's financial system is treating them, they may be making a profit, they may just be breaking even, they may even be losing money, but I'm fairly sure there is a reason for the current financial model and personally I think DE has been more than generous already, which is why I'm proud to be a Grand Master founder to support the devs and their work.