Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Every Frame Or Frame To Be Released Have A Prime Variant?

Havenward

As the title says, though quite vague in my mind. Do you guys believe there should be a limit on how many frames gain a primed version?

I am speaking about lore/gameplay/growth in general with frames becoming primed. I may be one of the only players who thinks this, but not every frame deserves nor should have a primed version. However, a Deluxe Skin (like Valkyr/Excalibur) can do for those who want something special.

This is coming out of concern with the growth of player generated content that will, in the coming months or year, soon fill the world of Warframe.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying DE is lacking in their capabilities (in fact I can trust in their talents that Warframe will grow even more better whether it be through small or large changes), I am just thinking ahead, because sooner or later what happened to the alt helmets (or arcane helmets as I believe some players if not a majority call it) will happen to the frames save Excalibur; which in a way still won't really quite work out in my mind.

What are your thoughts on the matter, fellow Tenno?

Disclaimer: I did not and do not intend for this topic/thread to be a area to attack DE, I would just like a civil discussion on the matter as to not result in this topic/thread being locked.

PS: Should this be in a different section, feel free to move it and I apologize for your inconvenience. I could not find (or most likely did not search well) a subsection for topics of this sort.

Side Note: I reread the entry post to prevent any grammar mistakes or anything of the related sort; but since I am only human, there are bound to be some nasty mistakes somewhere in this wall of text..

Edited by Dodson2nd

So I was typing up a big response, but I accidentally clicked back on my mouse. So I will give a somewhat short answer.

There is a limited frame, though it makes sense to be limited. Frames can be prime, but the question still stands should they or would it make sense to be primed.

If I remember correctly some if not most of the frames were reproductions of the prime versions meaning that there could be many if not multitudes of Lotus or Tenno made frames that do not at all directly relate to the late Orokin Era. I mean there are a couple if not more Tenno weapons that wouldn't make sense to be primed since they were Tenno crafted and not Orokin crafted, like the Tiberon and Tonbo (I may be wrong on the Tonbo) for example.

Side not: I seem to have many "if not"s...

Edited by Dodson2nd

Valkyr prime could be and probably will be complicated.I dunno i would like see priming the normal ones into prime because whole reactor thingy and forma seems little unfair when prime comes up

DE: Make Hysteria gold.

So I was typing up a big response, but I accidentally clicked back on my mouse. So I will give a somewhat short answer.

There is a limited frame, though it makes sense to be limited. Frames can be prime, but the question still stands should they or would it make sense to be primed.

If I remember correctly some if not most of the frames were reproductions of the prime versions meaning that there could be many if not multitudes of Lotus or Tenno made frames that do not at all directly relate to the late Orokin Era. I mean there are a couple if not more Tenno weapons that wouldn't make sense to be primed since they were Tenno crafted and not Orokin crafted, like the Tiberon and Tonbo (I may be wrong on the Tonbo) for example.

Side not: I seem to have many "if not"s...

The Dakra Prime is a Tenno forged weapon, crafted during the Time of the Orokin. It is renowned for speed, power and the ability to hit multiple targets.

Edited by xRufus7x

Personally, I think you don't have to worry about anything. People will choose whatever they like in the end.

If DE can't sell prime because of player created content then so be it, no more primes.

OR if player created content is neglected by community because of more prime,then why bother? no more workshop.

It's a win-win for DE anyway. since they still get money no matter what path they choose.

and don't you worry about lore and stuff because nothing ever makes senses in this game from the very beginning.

Edited by TicGuy

If every frame were to have a prime counterpart, a player mentality will result in the automatic assumption that every single frame released by DE will be primed. Heck you might even see more threads about a different Excalibur Prime (though that should never happen, since I believe it was stated that it never would).

That also hinders the amount of flexibility in the lore DE would be able to work with (in my mind, of course I am most likely wrong, haven't really read up much on how developing the lore goes about), especially since they have been keeping the background on a majority of the frames quite vague.

You didn't exactly give a reason why not to prime things other than plauer generated content.

Player content and Primes have literally nothing to do with eachother and no priming a frame or weapon is not unfair in the slightest considering 20p for a reactor is chump change.

And forma? You know a frame is gonna get primed sooner or later so thats on you. For example I became an avid Ash player before his prime was mentioned and I was condering formaing him, however I remembered that not all the original frames had been primes yet so I waited for him to be primed. A month laterAsh Prime is leaked and I save the 6 forma I was gonna put in my Ash for Ash Prime

If every frame were to have a prime counterpart, a player mentality will result in the automatic assumption that every single frame released by DE will be primed. Heck you might even see more threads about a different Excalibur Prime (though that should never happen, since I believe it was stated that it never would).

That also hinders the amount of flexibility in the lore DE would be able to work with (in my mind, of course I am most likely wrong, haven't really read up much on how developing the lore goes about), especially since they have been keeping the background on a majority of the frames quite vague.

Well since DE confirmed that every frame is eligible to be primed in a devstream and in a post a while back, they are reinforcing that mentality themselves.

it shouldnt hinder the lore of any frames, because the prime is simply the orokin version.

This is certainly a perplexing opinion, i'll give you that. There's not any reason i could think of - canonically or by personal preference - which would mean a Prime Warframe should be disallowed.

Putting aside the buffs, and the void dilution issues, and the general struggle many will have with RNGesus, and having the trade go berserk over a fresh season of goodies, a prime warframe it a status symbol for both players and the warframe itself.

For players, it's a great way of showing your interest or favoritism over a specific frame that has been in the game long enough for it use to be noted, for the devs, a prime variant is their way of saying - from the current standpoint of game mechanics at the time - the warframe is as polished and complete as it needs, that it's completed, that it's a finished concept.

You'll find a lot of veteran warframes on the later side of Prime releases received re-balances, buffs and nerfs before the prime variant was released, Saryn is currently going through that process and yes, she is up next for 'Priming'.

It's a great way of pulling older players back in and seeing their favourite gear reimagined/upgraded, it gives a more end-game lenient variants optimised for dealing with high-level usage, it gives the 'bored: everything is mastery fodder' hyper-players something to do, it gives fashion frame enthusiasts a new shiny to decorate, it forces Sheldon one step closer to finding the cure-all solution to void drops (joking).

The reasons for primes is... well, all primes do is give.

Variety is the spice of life, sure but maybe sometimes you want something old with a touch of something new.

That's the response i was going to give before i noticed the second half of your comment that went up.

From a lore perspective? all Tenno arms are recreations based on Orokin armaments:

you mentioned the Tiberon, it is stated to have been made by a master Tenno craftsman, it does not state however whether or not this is a post-orokin Era tenno invention or merely a redroduction made by more standardised materials.

I personally find that a lot of descriptions seem to detail Tenno weaponry with how they preformed in a prior war, like you also mention with the Tonbo - to paraphrase - 'that it was a very good survival tool when things were getting rough'. this isn't a situation many Tenno would find themselves in in the common era that WF takes place now with drop-in strike teams on coordinated missions before taking what they need and leaving as opposed to fighting a war involving ground zones and holding territory.

Not only the Tenno have based their tech almost absolutely off of Orokin design, both Corpus and Grineer have modifications based off of Orokin engineering, it's a state of technology that they either strive for or thrive off of.

There's some hullabaloo to be avoided in explaining this without having to inclusion a

tag, but the vast majority of technology in the common space ninja era is a near-as-possible replication of ancestral craftsmanship (given that whatever material the orokin seemed to bathe their era in is only salvaged not created).

ok ok ok ok ok ok.

I'm going to stop writing this now, by that alone you need to reintegrate how much you know about the game's lore (and parse through the subjective fan-canons) to understand why this is more possible than you may have first thought.

Well since DE confirmed that every frame is eligible to be primed in a devstream and in a post a while back, they are reinforcing that mentality themselves.

Well there is a difference between being eligible and actually being primed.

By the way, I am not asking for a change or anything, just a discussion on the current system. Though the title was quite complicated to come up with to keep with the guidelines.

-snip-

I am not new to the game nor the lore at all, going on 3 years with this game (doesn't mean fully playing it), and I immerse myself a lot in the lore with any game I play should it allow it, though Warframe is quite hindering in my voyages through it.

I was just wondering if there should be like a special way of viewing primes. Like a totally different universe and setting (not related to Warframe at all) that I had mentioned earlier where their frames were treated as rare and special, but not unknown.

However, I am not asking nor do I expect DE to follow someone else's story or setting, I am just using it as an example to pull thoughts out and put it down on the interweb.

Edit: I do realize that this is a very opinionated topic, but a gathering of thoughts can help me fully prepare for what will come in the far future, for DE does listen to us whether we know it or not. (not meaning this topic directly or at all)

Double Edit: Changed title to better reflect the direction of where this discussion was intended on heading.

PS: Slow down on the Oberon stuff, either take it to a new thread or just completely stop please. Thank you. (Not talking about not saying anything about Oberon, just don't insult each other over your opinions on the matter, a civil discussion does not require attacks nor should it)

Side note: I rarely have ever gone through fan fictions for Warframe. I only go through the actual lore represented in the game, through what has been stated by DE, etc. I have been overwhelmed realizing the sheer amount of directions DE can go with a lot of the lore, so that is why I am reverting to finally using forums again to get outside opinions on the matter.

Edited by Dodson2nd

Um, can a Mod/Admin lock this thread and archive it if that is what is done? After pondering over it, I believe I should have never even thought about starting it. It is up to DE to finally put what they have been dreaming for so long to actual realization. Thank you so far to the individuals who had posted with their thoughts on the matter, and I will be waiting excitedly for more lore to uproot itself in the future. Take care!