Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Boss Battle Should Be Better

skinotik

Hi everyone

Most boss battle are stand and fire fight with nothing really special about them.  De should complexified boss fight a little bit.  Here a quick suggestion for Hyena in Neptune :

Instead of only 1 boss, put 3 of them in a room since they are suppose to hunt in pack.  Make them have each an unique ablity (like one could be the charge/shockwave, other one missile spammer or launch huge amount of roller mine and the other one make forcefield globe that block only tenno weapon and those forcefield could be like an absorb buble).  When one of them die the other gain his ability and are full heal or full shield regen and become stronger.  Same thing when you down 2, the 3rd and last become more powerful.

That way, the boss fight is more engaging, require some strategy (which one you kill first ? if you kill the buble one, the 2 other will gain that ability, etc...)

Any idea ?

They are slowly getting around to improving the boss fights.

Lech was the most recent revamp. Golem and ?(they haven't said) are the next ones to be revamped.

That's not to say suggestion are bad, however, hyena is the boss most often suggested for improvement and it usually comes down to the exact same suggestion(make it 3 of them) with minor differences(your idea vs all having same abilities but climbing on walls/ceiling, etc).

Edited by Ghobe

I like ideas like this; we sorely need boss fights with engaging mechanics and we especially need multi-boss boss fights.  It would be interesting if the Hyenas didn't just gain eachother's abilities but instead gained totally new skills as certain ones died.  I think that could add even more layered depth to a fight like that, allowing for different kill orders to actively change the progression of the fight (instead of the end result always being a stomping, missile shooting, roller launching Hyena).

That being said, DE is already working on revamping most of the game's bosses.  With U8 we've seen a revamped Lech Kril (who is pretty easy, but relatively entertaining) and with U9 we'll be seeing a reworked Golem and an entirely new boss.  Here's hoping they keep up the good work and design more bosses with phases and actual mechanics outside of "has alotta hp".

I like the idea on having three hyenas/special mobs. Though it has its:

Pros: entertaining fight/challenge/complex strats,more loot drops

Cons: The boss fight would have a harsher penalty on lower experienced/geared players (higher chance of losing)

The boss in return would be nerfed due to being to hard(which brings it back to square 1)

All in all I still hope for a increased in difficulty of the bosses and rewards (not just in health/shield)

Edited by Regios

Honestly, if I was to revamp the Hyena fight...

The Hyena fight wouldn 't simply be a "fight" that you get to, it would be a continuous event throughout the station. You would almost constantly be getting ambushed by Hyena's in every room and before you get them to half health, they escape by breaking out of a window or the hull and running alongside the outside of the ship forcing a hack event trigger. Eventually you wind up at the end where you finally fight against all the hyena's you've fought against so far.

That would be the basic premise and would make for an interesting early game level.

Edited by Ghobe

I like it Ghobe, it's a desperate game of attrition.

I have another spin on it, in line with the "boss" nature of the encounter, but tying in with your concept too.

Pack of four Hyenas, with an Alpha Hyena in the lead. It's obviously the strongest and is invulnerable till the end encounter. Others are just Hyenas sans instagib rockets, just Supras.

When first encountered in some random room, Alpha Hyena ONLY shields two out of his pack, and the three Hyenas wail on the team. Their rapid fire attacks shouldn't insta-down, but really put a beating on the team. Consider split firing to be merciful to players.

At half health, the whole pack retreats. This happens another two times through the level as the Tenno desperately focus down the unshielded Hyena, till they reach the Boss Room where they then have to face off with all four Hyenas, albeit 3 at half health. Only Alpha drops the good loot, but the other three drop above average as well.

Edited by Miaradz

the downside to more complex boss fights is that we already have to grind them to death. do you really want them to be that much longer? (i do agree they are a bit of a yawn fest, but i don't want them to make them take forever to kill either.)

the downside to more complex boss fights is that we already have to grind them to death. do you really want them to be that much longer? (i do agree they are a bit of a yawn fest, but i don't want them to make them take forever to kill either.)

I've played games with complex bosses that you had to farm. It was always easier to stay focused and not get a.d.d. and wind up doing something else if they were complex, instead of incredibly easy but long boss fights(due to health).

Remember, just like we're fighting for more complex bosses, you can be fighting for more loot per boss kill or ways to influence boss drops.