The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx Prime Build/ Prim Wep ?

ShieldMaMeat

Question

So, Im a new player. Been playing about 2 weeks and the first frame I made was Nyx while excal being my starter. I like Excal alot but nyx is pretty fun too when it comes to Tower missions like defend or survival and excal is kind of press 4 to win or if dying press 2. So, I tried looking for a build (beginner oriented or atleast something to strive for) but apparently chaos has recently been changed and all the old builds would talk about how they built this way because chaos couldn't be recast. Now it can so I'd like some help with a build. I will be using this build on Nyx prime btw.

The build would be for playing Tower missions mostly. If it could solo that would be great too as I am still progressing through the planets too. Any suggestions on primary weps would be great too, im currently MR5 and have used:

Boltor (find it awkward and polarity isnt right for serration/multishot),

Latron (i find it fun but in T1S after like 20 mins i got to hit  the bigger guys like 4-5 times),

Burston (ammo wasteful and falling off in dmg hard)

Hek (Strong, very strong but I think I want a rifle. Its good for Chaos headshots though) 

Drakoon (not lvl 30 yet and idk about it..like at all =/ )

I haven't used the upgrade item for more slots on a wep yet and don't want to waste one. I have also acquired 150p (got from trading...could buy a prime wep if needed) and 2 forma's that im sitting on. 

Bottom line: I really want to play Nyx Prime into like T1-T3 or T4 Survival 40min-1hour marks and still be able to hold out in defense missions in higher waves as well. I want a couple primary's I could try that will flow well into the mid/late game that I can really dig into and spend time tricking out. I do realize that alot of this will be personal preference so just give your opinion if you want and ill take it as a push in the right direction and not the bottom line.

Thanks for the your time 

7 answers to this question

Tonkor, Sancti Tigris, Boltor Prime, Soma Prime, really any primary that you are up to min/maxing and putting a few formas into. I know of a few people that use the MK-1 Braton in T4's.

<EDIT> I just noticed you are MR5. Not sure if you can use many of those, but as I said above, honestly most primaries can deal with T4's. They just require more min/maxing then the typical ''OP weapons''. Multiple formas, potatoes, ranked up mods and the weapon should be okay with the right build.

Edited by Fuzzi

This is the build I use for Nyx while in a team doing high intensity runs in and outside the Void.

fgtPStS.jpg

As you can see I'm trying to get as much duration with this build, some range and a tad bit of efficiency.

I use rage to get me some more energy, and a Trin can just heal me if I lose too much. (Rage is optional if you have a good EV Trin in the team)

I use natural talent because the casting animation on Chaos is pretty hard to get past. I use Narrow Minded to get a ton more duration, I may lose some range but I can just keep moving to other groups and recast.

You can test this build out for you, but if you can't handle without having some survivability, then you can replace the Narrow Minded with either Quick Thinking (To get the R & QT combo going) or a hp mod. (Vitality or Redirection, tho Vitality is a better choice of the two) 

Using her Chaos or Psychic bolts augment for a little more CC would be pretty good as well, if you have room. 

Only thing I give warning to is Nullys, they can really rek your day if not handled well and casting Chaos with a group of them inside the buddle will be like trying to throw and egg at a castle wall... won't work. Try to deal with them first before you CC it up.

And for a primary... In my eyes you have three good choices that can keep up with what you want to go for. They're all in your MR requirements

One is the Hek (I know you like rifles, but hear me out)

OqSvO3f.jpg

As you can see, this build for the Hek can follow you in the most hairiest of battles. (Too a certain point at least) You can be a little flexible with the build, you could replace either Vicious Spread or Accel Blast for Seeking Fury, if you like the increased dps with punch through.

Second is the Tiberon (Its a burst rifle, but trust me, it's really good) Damn you Ordis, blocking my shot XD)

lJQqmIm.jpg

Another thing you could do is replace Thermite Rounds with Piercing Caliber, if you have that.

Third is the Tonkor (Pretty much a no brainer)

I5pl4E6.jpg

If you can't handle the flight speed of the nades, you could replace Hammer shot with Terminal Velocity. The Tonkor already does a crap ton of damage, the loss in crit damage won't be too bad if the trade off is flight speed.

Tonkor is a bit expensive, but the payout is impressive.

(All of these builds are for teams without CP or solo, if you got 4 CPs you want Viral and Fire.)

I wouldn't recommend buying a weapon with that 150p, just save it for more important things, like slots or catas and reactors.

All these weapons are worth catalysts, but if you had to go with only one of them, put one on the Tonkor.

Edited by PUR3K1LL3R

This is the build I use for Nyx while in a team doing high intensity runs in and outside the Void.

fgtPStS.jpg

As you can see I'm trying to get as much duration with this build, some range and a tad bit of efficiency.

I use rage to get me some more energy, and a Trin can just heal me if I lose too much. (Rage is optional if you have a good EV Trin in the team)

I use natural talent because the casting animation on Chaos is pretty hard to get past. I use Narrow Minded to get a ton more duration, I may lose some range but I can just keep moving to other groups and recast.

You can test this build out for you, but if you can't handle without having some survivability, then you can replace the Narrow Minded with either Quick Thinking (To get the R & QT combo going) or a hp mod. (Vitality or Redirection, tho Vitality is a better choice of the two) 

Using her Chaos or Psychic bolts augment for a little more CC would be pretty good as well, if you have room. 

Only thing I give warning to is Nullys, they can really rek your day if not handled well and casting Chaos with a group of them inside the buddle will be like trying to throw and egg at a castle wall... won't work. Try to deal with them first before you CC it up.

And for a primary... In my eyes you have three good choices that can keep up with what you want to go for. They're all in your MR requirements

One is the Hek (I know you like rifles, but hear me out)

OqSvO3f.jpg

As you can see, this build for the Hek can follow you in the most hairiest of battles. (Too a certain point at least) You can be a little flexible with the build, you could replace either Vicious Spread or Accel Blast for Seeking Fury, if you like the increased dps with punch through.

Second is the Tiberon (Its a burst rifle, but trust me, it's really good) Damn you Ordis, blocking my shot XD)

lJQqmIm.jpg

Another thing you could do is replace Thermite Rounds with Piercing Caliber, if you have that.

Third is the Tonkor (Pretty much a no brainer)

I5pl4E6.jpg

If you can't handle the flight speed of the nades, you could replace Hammer shot with Terminal Velocity. The Tonkor already does a crap ton of damage, the loss in crit damage won't be too bad if the trade off is flight speed.

Tonkor is a bit expensive, but the payout is impressive.

(All of these builds are for teams without CP or solo, if you got 4 CPs you want Viral and Fire.)

I wouldn't recommend buying a weapon with that 150p, just save it for more important things, like slots or catas and reactors.

All these weapons are worth catalysts, but if you had to go with only one of them, put one on the Tonkor.

Seriously thank you for such a well put together post. You answer practically all my questions and more. Im def going to head towards your build for nyx and I think I may get all those weapons to try out.... 

I already thought about getting the Tiberon because I could use my latron and a forma I had to build it but was unsure of its viability. Now I will build it immediately.

I do have the Hek already and love its dmg, I was only suspicious of it because I saw that the steel meridian guys give a vaykor Hek but its for MR12 if I believe im correct. Is it worth going "balls deep" into the vanilla Hek ?

Couldn't find the Tonkor but im just an idiot lol. I found it after.

Know I have alot of work to try to hunt down those mods for my (really yours =P ) Nyx build. I appreciate the feedback alot. Also have a Merry Christmas.

Edited by ShieldMaMeat

Seriously thank you for such a well put together post. You answer practically all my questions and more. Im def going to head towards your build for nyx and I think I may get all those weapons to try out.... 

I already thought about getting the Tiberon because I could use my latron and a forma I had to build it but was unsure of its viability. Now I will build it immediately.

I do have the Hek already and love its dmg, I was only suspicious of it because I saw that the steel meridian guys give a vaykor Hek but its for MR12 if I believe im correct. Is it worth going "balls deep" into the vanilla Hek ?

Couldn't find the Tonkor but im just an idiot lol. I found it after.

Know I have alot of work to try to hunt down those mods for my (really yours =P ) Nyx build. I appreciate the feedback alot. Also have a Merry Christmas.

Thank you for liking my builds.

The Vaykor Hek is also a very good weapon, with the high MR requirements. It has double the ammo cap in the clip. (Toob?) The innate syndicate effect and really nice critical stats. To tell you the truth, you can use either Hek and it would preform about the same, until the multishot nerf and the reg Hek would take a big hit.

You don't necessarily need to go "balls deep" into this hek if you don't want too, only reason I did was because I used the crap outta this thing before the V Hek existed.

You'll get to MR12 some day.

Oh, and Merry Christmas.

Edited by PUR3K1LL3R

full autos are kinda rough to use at long duration solo runs without good mods, which you might not have  ... MR5 says you are new enough to not have all the mods and have them all maxed (most likely, its possible, but I am guessing here).   That means the full autos are going to turn into ammo problems for you towards the 20, 30 min marks against high armor stuff.

If you want to one shot high armor guys, you need a cannon and mods to back it up.  Sybaris is a good try if you can shoot well (crit builds, headshot / skillshot helps).  Its a void gun as its split equally between the damage types so you can drop a shield or puncture armor equally well.  But you need crit mods for it,  and I think mine has 5 or 6 forma... its a 'project' to get it right.   But  its not the specific gun here ...  its the idea... something between a full auto and a sniper rifle that hits hard at a steady pace, a potent burst or semi-auto that won't run out of special ammo or shoot too slow to function against waves yet kills in a hit or two.   There are plenty of these.... Sybaris, grinlok, burston prime,  several others but I forget which you can do at MR5.  

A bow or sniper would also work but you need to know how to use them, they are not forgiving against big waves of enemy.   Dread is basically free if you can get it.  Vectis normal is sweet if you have the first shot mod.   Watch out for that sniper ammo issue though.  Sybaris and grinlok are snipers that use normal rifle ammo, they may take 2 shots to down the big boys but you won't run dry.  

chaos isn't the only way to go.  A single tough mob charmed distracts an entire room while you snipe...  easy, low power cost handling of a crowd.  And running up the middle then going invincible and blooey works wonders too.  Nyx is a versatile frame...  whether aoe zerking with chaos or sniping with mind freak or melee with #4 ... shes got options.

full autos are kinda rough to use at long duration solo runs without good mods, which you might not have  ... MR5 says you are new enough to not have all the mods and have them all maxed (most likely, its possible, but I am guessing here).   That means the full autos are going to turn into ammo problems for you towards the 20, 30 min marks against high armor stuff.

If you want to one shot high armor guys, you need a cannon and mods to back it up.  Sybaris is a good try if you can shoot well (crit builds, headshot / skillshot helps).  Its a void gun as its split equally between the damage types so you can drop a shield or puncture armor equally well.  But you need crit mods for it,  and I think mine has 5 or 6 forma... its a 'project' to get it right.   But  its not the specific gun here ...  its the idea... something between a full auto and a sniper rifle that hits hard at a steady pace, a potent burst or semi-auto that won't run out of special ammo or shoot too slow to function against waves yet kills in a hit or two.   There are plenty of these.... Sybaris, grinlok, burston prime,  several others but I forget which you can do at MR5.  

A bow or sniper would also work but you need to know how to use them, they are not forgiving against big waves of enemy.   Dread is basically free if you can get it.  Vectis normal is sweet if you have the first shot mod.   Watch out for that sniper ammo issue though.  Sybaris and grinlok are snipers that use normal rifle ammo, they may take 2 shots to down the big boys but you won't run dry.  

chaos isn't the only way to go.  A single tough mob charmed distracts an entire room while you snipe...  easy, low power cost handling of a crowd.  And running up the middle then going invincible and blooey works wonders too.  Nyx is a versatile frame...  whether aoe zerking with chaos or sniping with mind freak or melee with #4 ... shes got options.

I think he's more of a fun of full auto/burst weapons, and snipers still aren't that good at the levels of enemies he wants to fight.

yep, that is why I was recommending something halfway between the two.   He can try full auto, but without mods and forma, odds are that at 30-40 min hes going to run out of ammo.    The burst guns are a little more efficient.