Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tactical Split-Screen Co-Op Games

ServareVitas

So I've always been a PC gamer for the most part. Always liked the fact that a mouse is 400 times more accurate than a thumb stick. We both have old PC's and as we don't really want to pay the money for higher end machines... Myself and my younger brother bought a PS3 between us and are struggling to find any decent games to fit what we want. Yes yes we should have really done more research before buying but basically we're after:- 

'Tactical Shooters' we're quite pompous with this and really want the more realistic end of the spectrum that requires thinking where consequences actually have an impact. I really despise regenerating health but in some games it can be mitigated by the fact that the hardest difficulties equal instant death if you're struck with anything anyway etc but in general regeneration makes me cringe hard. 

'Stealth' we're big splinter cell fans and have the most recent one which we enjoyed on the highest difficulty as it kind of offset the regenerating health (which at first was a big worry). 

Finding it really hard to find anything though. The vast majority of games purported to be co-op are only online and require that we have a second console. 

Any recommendations from fellow tactical/realism snobs? 

In all my years of PS3 gaming, the only 2 co-op, split screen, tactical-like shooters I can think of is Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2(?) and Rainbow Six Vegas 2.

I'm willing to bet their online components are entirely dead, though.

Are both these titles definitely split-screen coop possible from one console? They're both titles I've been considering. I bagged Ghost Recon: Future Soldier a couple of days ago only to learn that it falsely advertised itself as offline coop. It also appeared heavily dumbed down :( I'm unsure about Vegas onwards. Rainbow was one of the original title franchises that defined tactical gameplay where a single wrong step could mean death with no 'respawn'. 

Are both these titles definitely split-screen coop possible from one console? They're both titles I've been considering. I bagged Ghost Recon: Future Soldier a couple of days ago only to learn that it falsely advertised itself as offline coop. It also appeared heavily dumbed down :( I'm unsure about Vegas onwards. Rainbow was one of the original title franchises that defined tactical gameplay where a single wrong step could mean death with no 'respawn'. 

I've played them both as split-screen coop games myself. Advanced Warfighter can actually go up to 4 I believe, but it doesn't allow you to play through the main campaign. There are some coop campaigns. 

Rainbow Six Vegas allows you to play with 1 other through the entire main campaign, and has a lot more customization opportunities. 

i had a great fun with Army of two 1 and 2 with room mate. They are very cheap on PS3. Also  i play Lara Croft (not tomb rider) games with my girl friend, and u might try Resident evil 5 on split screen if u like ;).

Resident Evil 4 could work as well. 

Still sort of a shoot-em-up, but a lot of team cohesion is vital.

I wouldn't call it very tactical. It's a shoot-em-up for sure.

IMO, you should give Army of Two a try.

Its Co-op(campaign) with splitscreen so you can play on one console.

Yeah I agree they're dumbed down shoot em ups. I had actually read that the most recent one 'The Devils Cartel' was a more realistic re-boot of the series so bought it yesterday. I was sadly disappointed. 500 rounds for an assault rifle, 50 for a shotgun, 300 for your pistol, regenerating health, an 'overkill' feature that allows temporary invincibility.Jesus the 20mins we did play were cringeworthy at best. 

i had a great fun with Army of two 1 and 2 with room mate. They are very cheap on PS3. Also  i play Lara Croft (not tomb rider) games with my girl friend, and u might try Resident evil 5 on split screen if u like ;).

Resident Evil 5 was a title I was looking forward too. It seemed perfect until the first combat scene and I realised.... To fire your weapon you have to remain standing and stationary..... What the actual F***? What kind of game is it if you can't move whilst firing? How the hell are you expected to clear a room? It's ridiculous and put me straight off it. 

I've played them both as split-screen coop games myself. Advanced Warfighter can actually go up to 4 I believe, but it doesn't allow you to play through the main campaign. There are some coop campaigns. 

Rainbow Six Vegas allows you to play with 1 other through the entire main campaign, and has a lot more customization opportunities. 

Hmm I like the sound of this. I reckon Vegas and Warfighter are the only two relevant suggestions so far (no one's fault) just doesn't seem to be many split-screen titles on the PS3 that fit our criteria. I can't run Vegas on my PC but I've played about 10mins of it. Had a nice feel to it. Regen health *sigh* but hopefully that can be mitigated with difficulty.