Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bachelor Thesis For University Of Applied Sience In Austria, St.poelten

Primagen_VA

Hi there fellow Tennos,
it was a long journey but me and my gf have some general questions for her bachelor thesis she will come up in her university of applied sience. Long story short.

If you can please answer the questions it would help her big time when she present it at the university.

Here is the original Text... thank you all Tennos

(If you want to answer it pls here in the thread or pn me or anna_keria  https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/user/1347254-anna-keria/ )

Hi everyone!

My name is Anna and I am a passionate Waframe player, just like you :)
Last year I wrote my bachelor thesis and the topic was about User Generated Content in computer games (modding as well as to fan fiction, machinima and let's play videos). The aim of my work was to explore the advantages and disadvantages from the cooperation between the industry and the gamers.

This year I am invited to present my work on my university and to gather some more insights on the topic User Generatd Content (especially from the users point of view), I was hoping that some of you would be interested in answering the following four short questions to this topic.

1. Which potentials for the computer game industry (and for the gamers as well) do you see in supporting the creation of user generated content?

1. Which problems could you imagine in such a collaboration?

1. Could you imagine any changes in your opinion about a company, if they decide to support or to restrict the creation of user generated content?

1. Do you use the possibilities some companies provide for the gamers or do you prefer the tools other gamers construct? Which one do you use or why not?

I hope some of you are interested in this topic and I am looking forward to your answers.

Thank you very much, my fellow tennos. :)

See you!

1. Which potentials for the computer game industry (and for the gamers as well) do you see in supporting the creation of user generated content?

1. Which problems could you imagine in such a collaboration?

1. Could you imagine any changes in your opinion about a company, if they decide to support or to restrict the creation of user generated content?

1. Do you use the possibilities some companies provide for the gamers or do you prefer the tools other gamers construct? Which one do you use or why not?

1. Well.. I don't exactly see what you mean by supporting user-generated content. Is it paid mods or skins? Like TennoGen? Or just allowing people to create and use mods with a game? Either way, user-generated content is a great way to extend the life of a game, by adding something or transforming elements of the game into something new. And having paid mods could work, if it is handled correctly (unlike Valve/Steam). I won't say there's limitless potential, but it's still beneficial.

2. Case and point, Steam paid mods. When handled in an unprofessional way, it hurts the modding community. Or game-breaking mods that can easily be abused, cfr. GTA V's simple trainer mod, with no control over the abuse by the company publishing the game (Though they do not condone the use of that mod).

3. My opinion would definitely not change about a company, whether they allow mods or not. When I buy a game from the company, I expect what's in the game already to be fun, attractive to me. I don't buy a game for it's potential to have extra stuff on the side.

4. If I had the choice, I would use the tools given by the publisher/creators of the game. Those tools were specifically designed for creating stuff with no problems in the game. You are more likely to have less problems with something you created from the development kit of the game than something coded by another gamer. Though, there are always exceptions. 

I hope I answered those questions "correctly".

Which potentials for the computer game industry (and for the gamers as well) do you see in supporting the creation of user generated content?

It allows show of talent for the new players with skipping a step that may not be available immediately to them, such as University degrees. Not only that but it gives some breathing space for the developers in making certain content. Right now every game is very big, mainly in terms of content available, i.e Skyrim has a S#&$ ton of armor types.

If developers can move focus to more crucial stuff such as foundation mechanics for a game and then give opportunities for talented members and equally passionate for the game to make some of the less crucial stuff then it is better for the game in the long term.

Also its a new job opportunity basically so I'm all up for it so long as at the very least credit is given to creators and some royalty in a form or another if they're happy with it.

Additionally it keeps certain single player games alive long long after the developers even care for it. Looking at Bethesda's line up but also games like Dying Light etc.

Which problems could you imagine in such a collaboration?

The same problem any other similar form of art work has, just like youtube, it will have problems of stealing and maybe some occasions of developers not paying, however all of that is dealt with bad PR and hopefully some management on platforms like Steam.

Could you imagine any changes in your opinion about a company, if they decide to support or to restrict the creation of user generated content?

Yes in a positive way, if they support user generated content to me it means that the game's lifespan is not entirely dependent on the updates it receives from the developers, again especially if it is a single player game.

If they restrict it however, it would depend. Do they support it enough as it is. Like MW3, it had some issues on PC and anybody using mods to fix those issues got banned, that is a big red flag. However if the game is fine as it is without any content whatsoever then I have no issue. Like Warframe, user content is a new thing and I enjoyed it even before that.

Do you use the possibilities some companies provide for the gamers or do you prefer the tools other gamers construct? Which one do you use or why not?

It depends, generally I use the official ones because it means they're less buggy and whatnot but if I have no other choice or the community touched upon an area that the devs left untouched or ignored then I will use what gamers make.

Generally though separate the words gamer and modder, because a modder deserves a certain amount of respect I don't think the name comes with. If their work is good it means they went to the end and back to make it where it is.

Sources: I've done modding in the past and it is super hard.