The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Internet Problems: My End

Blue22beam

Question

Greetings sirs and dames/ladies/whatever-the-female-counterpart-is

Against my better judgement, I upgraded to Windows 10. Ever since that day, my internet has been periodically "disconnecting" without actually losing the connection... sort of. It basically goes "limited", then returns to normal after a few seconds.

I am fairly certain that the problem lies in some software black magic. Specifically, my internet card's driver. It is probably not a problem with the router, as LAN activities are disrupted by this problem.

(In case it is not clear, I have a very weak grasp on this topic.)

I request the aid of those who are learned in the dark arts. Though, do refrain from helping if you are not confident in your skills. I do not want to accidentally remove my soul. (*cough cough* break everything while attempting to fix the darned thing)

(I apologize if this was posted in the wrong section. I have no idea where such a thread is supposed to go.)

14 answers to this question

be sure.  by pass the router and plug straight in.

also check your firewall settings or whatever other security you have going.

did you google your specific hardware and driver vs windows 10 to see if its just you or everyone with that setup?

any other TSRs running that could lock up the PC for a few sec?  Some virus do that, some legit programs do that ...  you get one badly written program that decides to take over the machine for 10 seconds and its all over ...

Any other info? 

First, are you connected via WIFI or WIRED?

You said that LAN activities ARE disrupted, but i think you meant are NOT.  Still you aren't clear on whether you are connected via wired or wireless.

Also bitdefender has known issues with Windows 10, could be that if you are using it.  Disable it or uninstall, see if it works.

(many people update their OS, but do not realize that some of the software that was on their OLD OS, and coded for that old OS, now may be broken because you are on a new OS)

Drivers.  Find your make/model of your NIC card or wireless card and go try to download the latest and greatest drivers for it.

(just as software was designed and coded for a certain version OS, so are drivers)

be sure.  by pass the router and plug straight in.

also check your firewall settings or whatever other security you have going.

did you google your specific hardware and driver vs windows 10 to see if its just you or everyone with that setup?

any other TSRs running that could lock up the PC for a few sec?  Some virus do that, some legit programs do that ...  you get one badly written program that decides to take over the machine for 10 seconds and its all over ...

Any other info? 

Sorry, the router is in another room, and I am using a desktop. I mean, I could, but I would honestly rather not

Warframe is on the list of exceptions on my firewall

Not sure why I didn't google this earlier. I found a few results that may fix it, but one suggests using a line of code( sc config storsvc type= own ), and the rest suggest installing a win7 driver. I cannot find a Broadcom 802.11n driver from their website, so I have no idea where they got theirs.

Sorry, what is a TSR? Google told me that it's a company that made D&D?

The wifi cuts periodically, and inconsistently. It can run for several hours without any problems, or explode every minute or so, depending on its mood. It's never permanent though.

Windows 10 shouldn't destroy your wifi connection*

You may want to update your driver.

Download slimdrivers free(it works), or find the model/maker of your wifi adapter and update it.

Can your router, handle as many devices you have connected to it?

Edited by Magnulast

First, are you connected via WIFI or WIRED?

You said that LAN activities ARE disrupted, but i think you meant are NOT.  Still you aren't clear on whether you are connected via wired or wireless.

Also bitdefender has known issues with Windows 10, could be that if you are using it.  Disable it or uninstall, see if it works.

(many people update their OS, but do not realize that some of the software that was on their OLD OS, and coded for that old OS, now may be broken because you are on a new OS)

Drivers.  Find your make/model of your NIC card or wireless card and go try to download the latest and greatest drivers for it.

(just as software was designed and coded for a certain version OS, so are drivers)

Wireless. LAN activities are disrupted. Though, my only test was a single instance of RA3 that refused to allow someone else to connect on two separate occasions within a single session, so it could have been some other problem.

I uninstalled my old antivirus software (some rogers thingy. Not sure why I used it in the first place.) and am currently using the default windows defender.

Broadcom's website did not contain the driver that I require. At least, I do not thing so. I mean, aside from typing in "802.11n" into their products section, I have no idea how to look.

Greetings people

There, isn't that easier and less exclusive?

-snip

Pretty much the first thing you should do, but you don't need third party software.  Just go to Device Manager > select driver > update.

You also may want to disable some of w10's sketchy settings and switch to DX12 in your launcher settings.

You can also revert to your last os.

I uninstalled my old antivirus software (some rogers thingy. Not sure why I used it in the first place.) and am currently using the default windows defender.

You'll want more than that, Windows defender on it's own is pretty much useless.

-snip-

Yep, completely forgot about the update ability in windows device manager....

But it's not always reliable(for premium things, like killer lan/ethernet e2200), but since it's a wifi I think your option is better.

Reverting to the last os, isn't that a limited time within a month?

If you use the backup provided by the manufacturer recovery, your might lose your license.

Windows 10 shouldn't destroy your wifi connection*

You may want to update your driver.

Download slimdrivers free(it works), or find the model/maker of your wifi adapter and update it.

Can your router, handle as many devices you have connected to it?

I am fairly certain that it is a driver issue. I am not sure where to search though. Their website did not yield anything.

Fairly certain that my router can. I'm not 100% sure, but I only have 3 devices connected.

There, isn't that easier and less exclusive?

Pretty much the first thing you should do, but you don't need third party software.  Just go to Device Manager > select driver > update.

You also may want to disable some of w10's sketchy settings and switch to DX12 in your launcher settings.

You can also revert to your last os.

You'll want more than that, Windows defender on it's own is pretty much useless.

The updater claimed that the drivers are up to date. 

W10's sketchy stuff have already been disabled, and the DX12 thing is unrelated tbh.

Can't. This lapse in judgment happened months ago, so the restore thing doesn't work anymore.

I've heard that Windows Defender has greatly improved as an anti-virus software. Not sure whether the source was credible though...

TSR is terminate and stay resident.  That is, a program that runs but you can't see it -- some are operating system, some go in your "tray" like steam,  etc. 

Too many of them, and you get odd behavior. 

A bad one (virus or just badly written) can give odd behavior.

TSR game company isn't related!  Guess its an old term.  I dunno what people call them now, that was the official term back when. 

I would try the win7 driver, it sounds best as a starting place from your results.

wifi stinks.   Its ok for browing the web, but I have yet to meet a gamer that played over wi-fi without having issues from time to time.  But if you were issue free before you went to winX, then the issue isn't your hardware (most likely).    I would diagnose it as if winx is to blame.

My question has now changed somewhat.

Where would I find a broadcom 802.11n driver? Their website had a bunch of bluetooth and other letter drivers, but none for the "n" iteration. I would download a random one from one of the trusted websites, but I've always found those ones sketchy. Why would a company host a driver when the they should be on the website of the company that made the thing?

Do correct me if I am mistaken. I'm somewhat paranoid about installing stuff.

EDIT: I am confused. I could have sworn that the manufacturer for my adapter is Broadcom, yet now it displays "Ralink Technology, Corp."? What...

EDIT: I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING

PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_3090&SUBSYS_663211AD&REV_00\4&125A0B80&0&0028
WHAT IS THIS? HOW DO I THIS? *FLIPS TABLE IN CONFUSION*

EDIT: Windows 7 drivers did not fix the problem.
Edited by Blue22beam

companies stamp a logo on a common product.   So it can appear as either brand at times.  If you get a third brand, that's a little weird and it may mean your machine doesn't know what it really is but 2 brands isn't that unusual.

802.11 is a type of networking, as is N.   Its not the model number of your card.

GO to your control panel's device manager.

LOOK at the network adaptor.

Try to find a model number there, might look like  "RT5390R"

IT will be under a Ralink label most likely.

Apparently Ralink supplies qualcom, Broadcom, and 2 or 3 more brands with cards.

From there you can try to find the driver with a better search (model number and manufacturer's name and windows 10 and N)

You can trust certain driver download sites.    Its pretty common to use a 3rd party site for some of these.

----------

Other guy:

you can get a quality wireless connection, no argument.  That does not change the many additional networking issues that plague wireless on top of the standard problems.   If it works for you, good job setting it up and buying good hardware and having low interference.   Still, about 7, even 8/10 times when I fix a setup, plugging it in fixed it and diagnosed the issue as a wireless issue right away.    Granted, more than 1/2 of those was user setup issues.

Edited by jonnin

companies stamp a logo on a common product.   So it can appear as either brand at times.  If you get a third brand, that's a little weird and it may mean your machine doesn't know what it really is but 2 brands isn't that unusual.

802.11 is a type of networking, as is N.   Its not the model number of your card.

GO to your control panel's device manager.

LOOK at the network adaptor.

Try to find a model number there, might look like  "RT5390R"

IT will be under a Ralink label most likely.

Apparently Ralink supplies qualcom, Broadcom, and 2 or 3 more brands with cards.

From there you can try to find the driver with a better search (model number and manufacturer's name and windows 10 and N)

You can trust certain driver download sites.    Its pretty common to use a 3rd party site for some of these.

----------

Other guy:

you can get a quality wireless connection, no argument.  That does not change the many additional networking issues that plague wireless on top of the standard problems.   If it works for you, good job setting it up and buying good hardware and having low interference.   Still, about 7, even 8/10 times when I fix a setup, plugging it in fixed it and diagnosed the issue as a wireless issue right away.    Granted, more than 1/2 of those was user setup issues.

I figured the naming bit during my search (RT3090). I have no idea why it took me this long to realize that I was missing a critical set of numerals.

Unfortunately, the drivers did not fix my problem.