Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Need Mmo Suggestions

MokutoBunshi

As the title says. I need suggestions for an (free to play) MMO to play. Me and friends are trying to get established on a game we will all play together.

We all have laptops with minimum:

2 core Intel processors.
4 GB of ram
1/2 Tb of space
(not sure about the graphics cards).

Two that are off the list are warframe (that grind...[my friends cant take it]) and league of legends  (because... just why?[ there is no open world or...anything but matches])

The game should follow (not necessarily meet, but should) these guidelines:

#1 Free to play (can be freemium, have a exclusive/member market or paid player perks...it don't matter)

#2 Have a open world (when your with friends, one match after another is not the most fun thing)

#3 Look pretty decent (Not like star citizen does, but at least as good as some of the newer mmos)

#4 Have exceptionally good combat mechanics (this is a BIGGIE, because button smashing through fight after fight is just not fun... games where aiming comes into account is a plus) whether we be using guns or swords so that strategy and not just level and button mashing actually matters.

And finally
#5 Whether it be fantasy of sci-fi or anything else. New game mechanics other than those re-used in many MMOs would be a HUGE plus.

Those are the 5 guidelines. an example of a game like that would be maybe... arch age. Its pretty generic but it meets #1 #2 and #3 but because it meets neither 4 or 5 (as in its a little bit generic) its off the list.

Most FPS games meet #4 (or any where things like positioning and strategy matter)

And #5 is any game that tries to do something new.

I hope you guys can help me out because we need something to play together online and all enjoy what we are playing. :)

EDIT: List of the games that work for me so far (Firefall, Wildstar, Guildwars2 (now F2P), Blade and soul(became F2P a few days ago). That is a good amount of games. That fit the bill pretty well. If you can think of any other please mention them.

]\'[okuto Bunshi

Peace out.

Edited by MokutoBunshi

Have you tried Star Wars: The Old Republic?

Being a F2P player in that game isn't the best possible scenario but it's bearable, and they recently changed the Xp system up a bit so leveling is significantly easier than it used to be

(instead of painfully grinding through side missions to get levels to play the main story (per class-- there are 8 "main" stories in that regard)

you can now pick your preferred method of leveling and pretty much do that to get to max level (they want you to be able to choose how you level up, which is great) )

It's open world (or worlds I guess, because planets)

Looks pretty good. Not like super next gen hyperrealistic graphics but it doesn't look bad.

Combat mechanics are your usual MMO type: pick a target, cast abilities on target, target dies. If you have no target selected and you cast an ability that requires one, it picks the nearest target to you automatically. If you're a healer and have no target selected, you heal yourself.

It's not 100% unique but it's a pretty good system in my opinion.

Equipment is upgraded through mods which you get at your faction (Sith Empire/Galactic Republic) fleet. Essentially, you can find armor you like and upgrade it as many times as you like and it be end game viable. It's not difficult to obtain mods, either. No RNG on them. Just go to a vendor on the fleet and trade them data crystals (which you get for quests and other missions). (also you have vanity slots for armor)

Combat mechanics may be the biggest issue you'd find in the game, and I wouldn't even consider them an issue.

Edit: companions in the game also recently got reworked, so now you can assign them any role and they fufill it excellently.

Tell them to shoot, they fire 'til the corpse is roasted on the molecular level.

Tell them to heal, and stop caring what your health is. You won't be dying. (slight exaggeration, maybe, but companions do seem kinda OP now and they may be getting looked at, but it's been a few months, so maaaybe not?)

Edit #2, electric boogaloo:

It's a shame your hardware is that low, and you specified F2P. Because The Elder Scrolls Online has the best combat system I've seen in an MMO ever. No traditional MMO targeting system at all. You aim at a target, attack them, aim at another target, attack, etc. Not to mention it's more free camera...none of that "hold right mouse to look around" bollocks.

Edited by Kaiczar

Have you tried Star Wars: The Old Republic?

Being a F2P player in that game isn't the best possible scenario but it's bearable, and they recently changed the Xp system up a bit so leveling is significantly easier than it used to be

(instead of painfully grinding through side missions to get levels to play the main story (per class-- there are 8 "main" stories in that regard)

you can now pick your preferred method of leveling and pretty much do that to get to max level (they want you to be able to choose how you level up, which is great) )

It's open world (or worlds I guess, because planets)

Looks pretty good. Not like super next gen hyperrealistic graphics but it doesn't look bad.

Combat mechanics are your usual MMO type: pick a target, cast abilities on target, target dies. If you have no target selected and you cast an ability that requires one, it picks the nearest target to you automatically. If you're a healer and have no target selected, you heal yourself.

It's not 100% unique but it's a pretty good system in my opinion.

Equipment is upgraded through mods which you get at your faction (Sith Empire/Galactic Republic) fleet. Essentially, you can find armor you like and upgrade it as many times as you like and it be end game viable. It's not difficult to obtain mods, either. No RNG on them. Just go to a vendor on the fleet and trade them data crystals (which you get for quests and other missions). (also you have vanity slots for armor)

Combat mechanics may be the biggest issue you'd find in the game, and I wouldn't even consider them an issue.

Edit: companions in the game also recently got reworked, so now you can assign them any role and they fufill it excellently.

Tell them to shoot, they fire 'til the corpse is roasted on the molecular level.

Tell them to heal, and stop caring what your health is. You won't be dying. (slight exaggeration, maybe, but companions do seem kinda OP now and they may be getting looked at, but it's been a few months, so maaaybe not?)

Edit #2, electric boogaloo:

It's a shame your hardware is that low, and you specified F2P. Because The Elder Scrolls Online has the best combat system I've seen in an MMO ever. No traditional MMO targeting system at all. You aim at a target, attack them, aim at another target, attack, etc. Not to mention it's more free camera...none of that "hold right mouse to look around" bollocks.

Wow, didn't expect this much :D gonna take a bit to read.

]\'[

There are a few more:

Wildstar and FireFall.

Wildstar (from what I see is a F2P as well as FF.  

I play FF and am a Mentor for the game, it's great!  Love the scenery and the creatures.  There's a major patch coming which is changing a lot of things up right now (which hits next week and is blocked out for the entire week, since bugs will be more than likely present).  

Now the only downside to FF is that it leans more towards graphic cards to play, and integrated graphic chips won't be able to play too well, but I have seen a few people that have played.  I'm going to be answering your #'s as well to the best of my ability :)

#1: It really is a F2P!  There're multiple currencies in-game (crystite, credits and Red Beans).  Red Beans are used to buy "better" items that you can obtain by either paying real money OR converting crystite to credits, and then using the credits to buy Red Beans.  

#2: It's a "Open World" based game with small transitions to different areas (Coral Forest/Sertao has a transition as well as traveling to Devils Tusk or any other instance).  HOWEVER each area is giant, Coral Forest and Sertao being the biggest at the moment.  

#3:  Graphics are great!  There's plenty to do and amazing places to explore!  

#4: This one is subjective, since the gameplay mechanics are being re-worked.  You've got your usual "WSAD" movement and 1-8 button keys for abilities and items (which the items can be customized and addon's can be downloaded to expand this as well).

#5: take a look for yourself sometime :).  The download size is usually 5 GB's, but it's great!  I recommend it :)

http://www.firefall.com/

Forgot to mention that PvP is making a comeback with the next few patches :)

Please let me know if you need anymore info :)

Edited by Btabc

There are a few more:

Wildstar and FireFall.

Wildstar (from what I see is a F2P as well as FF.  

I play FF and am a Mentor for the game, it's great!  Love the scenery and the creatures.  There's a major patch coming which is changing a lot of things up right now (which hits next week and is blocked out for the entire week, since bugs will be more than likely present).  

Now the only downside to FF is that it leans more towards graphic cards to play, and integrated graphic chips won't be able to play too well, but I have seen a few people that have played.  I'm going to be answering your #'s as well to the best of my ability :)

#1: It really is a F2P!  There're multiple currencies in-game (crystite, credits and Red Beans).  Red Beans are used to buy "better" items that you can obtain by either paying real money OR converting crystite to credits, and then using the credits to buy Red Beans.  

#2: It's a "Open World" based game with small transitions to different areas (Coral Forest/Sertao has a transition as well as traveling to Devils Tusk or any other instance).  HOWEVER each area is giant, Coral Forest and Sertao being the biggest at the moment.  

#3:  Graphics are great!  There's plenty to do and amazing places to explore!  

#4: This one is subjective, since the gameplay mechanics are being re-worked.  You've got your usual "WSAD" movement and 1-8 button keys for abilities and items (which the items can be customized and addon's can be downloaded to expand this as well).

#5: take a look for yourself sometime :).  The download size is usually 5 GB's, but it's great!  I recommend it :)

http://www.firefall.com/

Please let me know if you need anymore info :)

And yeah, I have seen those games once. ALMOST played them.... then I got hooked on Warframe...not exactly my friends cup of tea... but I WILL be going back!

]\'[

Another thing I forgot to mention about SWTOR:

Most of the things F2P players don't have access to they can GET access to.

You can spend $5 on the premium currently (granting you "preferred status") and get 4 extra character slots, trading (at level 10, subs would get it at level 1), the bank (which I don't totally find needed in the first place, but hey I'll take it), and I *think* you get access to some other sub features

OR

You can go to your faction's fleet, and use credits at the galactic trade network (basically the place players put their stuff up for sale for other players) to get some of those features unlocked per-character.

And if there's something you want on the GTN you can't afford because of the credit cap for f2p players (100,000) or preferred players (350,000), a sub would be able to buy it for you and send it to you (For example: if you wanted a thing and it's say 400k, I could buy it and mail it to you)

And yeah, I have seen those games once. ALMOST played them.... then I got hooked on Warframe...not exactly my friends cup of tea... but I WILL be going back!

]\'[

No worries, my friend!  It's a great game and the graphics are real nice, regardless of the graphic levels you set them at.  If you do go back to FF, please look me up (same name as here lol) and I'll help you out as much as I can :).  I love the game and am eagerly awaiting the patch!  Hope you find a few games that fit your needs!  

A few of the requirements I had were a TRUE F2P game, open world with plenty to do and things I can solo by myself or just chill and explore with nice ambient music... as well as creatures to spark my creativity, which FireFall brought everything I wanted to the table :).  I've been hooked since Closed Beta and I'll continue to be hooked to that game, as well as WarFrame :) (wish they'd bring more love to the Dojo's haha).

No worries, my friend!  It's a great game and the graphics are real nice, regardless of the graphic levels you set them at.  If you do go back to FF, please look me up (same name as here lol) and I'll help you out as much as I can :).  I love the game and am eagerly awaiting the patch!  Hope you find a few games that fit your needs!  

A few of the requirements I had were a TRUE F2P game, open world with plenty to do and things I can solo by myself or just chill and explore with nice ambient music... as well as creatures to spark my creativity, which FireFall brought everything I wanted to the table :).  I've been hooked since Closed Beta and I'll continue to be hooked to that game, as well as WarFrame :) (wish they'd bring more love to the Dojo's haha).

Looks like I am gonna try out fire fall.

See you in-game.

]\'[

Another thing about SWTOR

The writing/lore and story telling is excellent

You chose your path. It is developed by Bioware. You can be good or evil all that jazz of choices.

Every side quest feels unique because it always has choices that you can go upon.

Another thing about SWTOR

The writing/lore and story telling is excellent

You chose your path. It is developed by Bioware. You can be good or evil all that jazz of choices.

Every side quest feels unique because it always has choices that you can go upon.

Where did you come from?

<_<

>_>

(*)_(*)

(.)_(.)

]\'[

Skyforge is a great mmo despite the fact that everything seems stacked against f2ps until you realise you can buy its premium with in game currency

I hate to sound biased but there is NO WAY I am playing that game XD.

The idea of people "competing to be gods?" No thank you.

Planetside 2, perhaps?

I did try planetside... but not only is it laggy with the specs above. Its seems like its constant combat match grinder in an open world (at low levels).

]\'[

Edited by MokutoBunshi

I was able to play PSO2 on the JP servers for a while. SOLID game. It got just a little tedious at the start with a lot of running around town to talk to NPC's every time you looked at the mission console and passed gas, but once you got past that it was pretty cool.

Not as fast or active as warframe, but well above a typical MMORPG and a good variety due to the class differences.

I was able to play PSO2 on the JP servers for a while. SOLID game. It got just a little tedious at the start with a lot of running around town to talk to NPC's every time you looked at the mission console and passed gas, but once you got past that it was pretty cool.

Not as fast or active as warframe, but well above a typical MMORPG and a good variety due to the class differences.

I am not in the least bit familiar with being able to get a game on a Japanese server :P

]\'[

I am not in the least bit familiar with being able to get a game on a Japanese server :P

]\'[

Good News: They have confirmed their intent to release in NA in an official announcement! :D

Bad News: That announcement was in 2013 and NA still has nothing but a teaser site from 2013. D:

Good News: They have confirmed their intent to release in NA in an official announcement! :D

Bad News: That announcement was in 2013 and NA still has nothing but a teaser site from 2013. D:

Of that I am aware. I tried to get PSO2 before..but HOW do you get it on the jap servers?

]\'[

Of that I am aware. I tried to get PSO2 before..but HOW do you get it on the jap servers?

]\'[

At the time, I followed a guide from this forum:

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

I started hearing rumors about Japan not liking us connecting to their servers and that they might kick us out. Then one day it started kicking back an error about my region so I just did 1+1. I was starting to get distracted with something single player, plus Warframe of course, so I didn't try to get set back up.

I see posts made on the forum just minutes before going to get the link so they probably still have a working way in. Maybe up in the stickies and guides somewhere.

Wait, is this the same PSO as Phantasy Star Portable 1 & 2?!  I had no idea that they HAD a online version?!  I loved the games a lot, but was sad once my PSP died (cannot replace the battery on it so I'll have to get another PSP or the newer one.