The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"display Driver Crashed And Recovered", I'm Running Out Of Ideas.

Heindell

Question

Recently I started getting that error, where the screen goes black/grey, followed by the TDR error message saying that the display driver 361.43 crashed/stopped responding and recovered. Might be worth noting that the game seems to continue to run after that error, as i can still hear everything that's going on there, so it's only the display that crashes, not the game as well. That error only ever occurs on Warframe, with every other game I've tried to run presenting no issue whatsoever.

Edit: that error also doesn't seem to be triggered by anything in particular, as the crashes seem to happen randomly. 

Specs:

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970

CPU: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core Processor

RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury

PSU: Corsair CX 500

So, here's what I've tried so far:

-Re-downloading the game, both through the website and Steam.

-Verifying the download cache through the game launcher. (It verifies the cache to 100%, then displays an "Update Failed" message. The update does not resume automatically, and does not display a crash report window should I abort the process, so no WAR error number.)

-Uninstall and reinstall the latest graphics driver.(Clean installl.)

-Roll Back to an older driver that used to function normally.

-Using the standard version of the driver that came with the GPU.

-Installing the 361.60 driver hotfix from the geforce forums. (Causes to game to display a black screen on startup.)

-Reinstalling DirectX.

-Extend the TDR time limit (extending it from 2 to 8 caused no noticeable results, going over 8 causes the computer to freeze instead of the game crashing.)

-Disabling TDR entirely (The crash seemed to disappear for two days, after that it caused the computer to freeze instead of crashing the game, as above.)

-Checked the temperature of the components, everything stays between 40~50°C.

-Put Warframe on "Prefer Maximum Performance" through the 3D settings.

-Tried Running the game on different versions of DirectX.

-Disabling Launcher GPU acceleration.

-Reducing the GPU and memory clock through MSI Afterburner

Also, my firewall's been disabled since Windows was installed, and my antivirus and anti-malware software have no complaints about the game and computer.

I've looked around on google, and while I've found several different instances of that error on several different games, with just as many fixes(thus the list above), none seems to work so far, and I'm out of ideas. As such I post this here in hopes of someone that might provide insight into this. Thanks for reading all that nonsense.

Edited by Heindell

18 answers to this question

Try these 2 things:

1st - install drivers again ticking clean install.

2nd - go to your display preferences, 3d settings, Power Management Mode and choose Prefer Maximum Performance, now on program tab do same for warframe program.

These worked for me, best of luck. :)

Try these 2 things:

1st - install drivers again ticking clean install.

2nd - go to your display preferences, 3d settings, Power Management Mode and choose Prefer Maximum Performance, now on program tab do same for warframe program.

These worked for me, best of luck. :)

I knew i had forgotten something on the list, I've already tried those two, sorry.

OK, so I am actually having this issue myself. There seems to be a ton of possible fixes but the most common advice is to completely uninstall your video drivers and reinstall them, If  that doesn't work try doing the same for Windows.

Yeah, since that involves deleting all my stuff I've been leaving that as an absolute last resort. I could make a backup, but it's still a hassle to go through the whole setup again. i'll see if something shows up, otherwise that's pretty much all that's left to do.

Edited by Heindell

oh snap lol, tbh that fixes most problems, on launcher did you try to run other directx versions, 9, 10 and 11? Also disable launcher gpu acceleration.

Goddamnit, that's another edit on the directx versions. I did not try the GPU acceleration bit though.

I had a similar problem with my 980 in the witcher 3. I did end up solving the problem but i'm not 100% on what caused it because i did two things at once.

I had the same where my cards readings looked to be good, but just in case i took the cards out and gave them a good ol air can dusting to make sure it wasn't overheating. I also updated all of my motherboard drivers the same day.

Since then, i haven't had an issue with it in a good 1 1/2 months. Good luck!

I had a similar problem with my 980 in the witcher 3. I did end up solving the problem but i'm not 100% on what caused it because i did two things at once.

I had the same where my cards readings looked to be good, but just in case i took the cards out and gave them a good ol air can dusting to make sure it wasn't overheating. I also updated all of my motherboard drivers the same day.

Since then, i haven't had an issue with it in a good 1 1/2 months. Good luck!

I'll have to try the motherboard drivers, but the card's been cleaned a few weeks back, so i don't think it could have accumulated enough dust to cause any problems, but i'll look anyway.

Updating the motherboard drivers did nothing, and everything's about as clean as it can get, so i don't think dust was related to the issue.

Hmm, have you tried to review the windows event log when this happens to see if it's something else doing it? Might give you some clues.

How new is your graphics card? Wondering if there is a fault with it. Does it ONLY happen in warframe?

This happen mostly if you have FX type chip(They have a little bug that block your gpu advanced settings from nvidia programms even if you change them he will block your changes or not fully apply them) and Nvidia card . You need to download MSI Afterburner and set Core Clock and Memory Clock to -100 parameter so it will work for full power -100 and will never overload itself . 

P.S. Reinstall windows/drivers/game is noobs recommendation from 2005

Edited by hcDizy

Hmm, have you tried to review the windows event log when this happens to see if it's something else doing it? Might give you some clues.

How new is your graphics card? Wondering if there is a fault with it. Does it ONLY happen in warframe?

Windows event log shows nothing new, and as I've said in the original post, this only happens on Warframe, so assuming it is some faulty part of my card, it's so specific I don't think it's likely.

This happen mostly if you have FX type chip(They have a little bug that block your gpu advanced settings from nvidia programms even if you change them he will block your changes or not fully apply them) and Nvidia card . You need to download MSI Afterburner and set Core Clock and Memory Clock to -100 parameter so it will work for full power -100 and will never overload itself . 

P.S. Reinstall windows/drivers/game is noobs recommendation from 2005

-100, you say? Well, can't hurt to try it.

After a bit of digging this apparently could be a bug with what version of Direct X you're running in the game. Try and switch to a different version and give it a shot. Lmk if it keeps happening.

I do see that you re-installed direct-x. I'm at work so i cant check for sure but i could have sworn in the graphics settings for the game that you can switch versions there.

Edited by Coaa

After a bit of digging this apparently could be a bug with what version of Direct X you're running in the game. Try and switch to a different version and give it a shot. Lmk if it keeps happening.

I do see that you re-installed direct-x. I'm at work so i cant check for sure but i could have sworn in the graphics settings for the game that you can switch versions there.

You can indeed switch between DirectX 10 or 11, but that's already on the list, I've tried running different versions.