The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Player, Help Me Pick A Frame

TheKingRoar

Question

Hey guys, like the title says I am a new player and im struggling to pick a frame and was hoping to find some guidance.

So far I have leveled mirage to 30 but got tired of looking at the two illusions on my screen all the time.

I have also played Mesa but am not fond of Peace maker rooting me in place.

What Im interested is a fast frame who can be constantly moving and doing damage, (i disliked the long cast time on mirage's disco ball aswell)

Some other frames that caught my interest are Nova / Equinox / Ash / Valkyr / volt

I really enjoy being to stay on the move and run and gun and also having that button that can wipe out a large group (ie mirage's disco ball or even peace maker if it wasnt so darn slow inbetween shots)

any advice or recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks,

Roarkin

PS: I will be Plat buying whichever i decide on "maining" so please don't take how long it takes to get them into consideration

Edited by TheKingRoar

8 answers to this question

Im also really interested in Volt and Nova, out of the two (and i suppose equinox as well if you know much about her) are any of them dull to play? I enjoy the game very much but some of the Frames are kinda dull to me ( IE mirage. make sure clones and number 3 are up)

Im not trying to do rocket science but i do enjoy a degree of thought on when and how to use my abilties.

Also Syq, ive been looking alot of valkyr too, but kinda want to use guns more then constant melee

Thanks a ton for your responses!

I don't really find many frames dull- if I don't like how a certain part of them functions I simply ignore it or use it in weird ways. That being said, of the two I'd probably say nova is the more interactive since you actually have to shoot and direct her 2 around the map to use it. Volt I wouldn't quite call dull, but his abilities are a lot more mundane. You either fire them off for damage/stun (his 1/4), activate for buffs (his 2) or place down a defensive wall (his 3). Depending on how you use them though, they can create very interesting and effective gameplay. If you're into THINKING about how you use abilities, Volt might be better. Nova is more of a "press 4, win game" kind of frame as long as you're careful about not getting shot a bunch.

Noticing that you also mentioned/replied to others regarding equinox/valkyr. Equinox is another "thinker" frame like volt. Lots of abilities and tons of ways/situations to use them in. Valkyr makes pretty much anything in the game easy mode since she's literally invincible. Kinda boring if you use her like that- and there's no way to use her claws without the invuln so... yeah.

Last thought- I would also suggest Ivara and possibly Limbo if you want to think about abilities. Limbo is literally 100% that, but he's not very fast and can't dole out a lot of damage to anyone at any time due to how he works. Ivara's abilities can't cause mass damage, but she has such an insane amount of variety and combat potential that she's become my favorite frame.

I highly recommend either Ember, Nova, or Volt. All move fast- all can do pretty great damage with their guns while doing so.

Ember's world on fire/abilities are her way of damage, and compliment her kit well allowing you to have pretty much free reign anywhere around you since they give just enough crowd control to go with her natural slight tankiness.

Nova makes the world basically freeze around her with her 4, and her 2 does insane amounts of damage over relatively large areas (make sure you fuel it up with your guns after launching it before dropping it down somewhere) but is a glass cannon so if you don't move enough to not get hit a lot, you may find yourself having a hard time with her.

Volt (prime if you can) is a nice balanced character overall. His shock and overload do decent damage and have some crowd control built in, his speed let's him go fast and boosts his melee attack speed. His shields protect you, the pod, and your squad from damage while boosting that of your guns' when fired through them. Close range, far range, ability damage, weapon damage, speed, and (on the prime) durability. A real jack of all trades.

Hopefully this helps you pick a frame you end up liking. Welcome to warframe. :)

Sounds like Ember or Equinox. 

Do you have much experience with Equinox, he seems very fun to play to me but I haven't really heard anyone recommend him yet

I highly recommend either Ember, Nova, or Volt. All move fast- all can do pretty great damage with their guns while doing so.

Ember's world on fire/abilities are her way of damage, and compliment her kit well allowing you to have pretty much free reign anywhere around you since they give just enough crowd control to go with her natural slight tankiness.

Nova makes the world basically freeze around her with her 4, and her 2 does insane amounts of damage over relatively large areas (make sure you fuel it up with your guns after launching it before dropping it down somewhere) but is a glass cannon so if you don't move enough to not get hit a lot, you may find yourself having a hard time with her.

Volt (prime if you can) is a nice balanced character overall. His shock and overload do decent damage and have some crowd control built in, his speed let's him go fast and boosts his melee attack speed. His shields protect you, the pod, and your squad from damage while boosting that of your guns' when fired through them. Close range, far range, ability damage, weapon damage, speed, and (on the prime) durability. A real jack of all trades.

Hopefully this helps you pick a frame you end up liking. Welcome to warframe. :)

Im also really interested in Volt and Nova, out of the two (and i suppose equinox as well if you know much about her) are any of them dull to play? I enjoy the game very much but some of the Frames are kinda dull to me ( IE mirage. make sure clones and number 3 are up)

Im not trying to do rocket science but i do enjoy a degree of thought on when and how to use my abilties.

Also Syq, ive been looking alot of valkyr too, but kinda want to use guns more then constant melee although i do like the sound of never stopping, but is her damage high or is she mostly just a tank towards the harder content?

Thanks a ton for your responses!

Edited by TheKingRoar

I don't really find many frames dull- if I don't like how a certain part of them functions I simply ignore it or use it in weird ways. That being said, of the two I'd probably say nova is the more interactive since you actually have to shoot and direct her 2 around the map to use it. Volt I wouldn't quite call dull, but his abilities are a lot more mundane. You either fire them off for damage/stun (his 1/4), activate for buffs (his 2) or place down a defensive wall (his 3). Depending on how you use them though, they can create very interesting and effective gameplay. If you're into THINKING about how you use abilities, Volt might be better. Nova is more of a "press 4, win game" kind of frame as long as you're careful about not getting shot a bunch.

Noticing that you also mentioned/replied to others regarding equinox/valkyr. Equinox is another "thinker" frame like volt. Lots of abilities and tons of ways/situations to use them in. Valkyr makes pretty much anything in the game easy mode since she's literally invincible. Kinda boring if you use her like that- and there's no way to use her claws without the invuln so... yeah.

Last thought- I would also suggest Ivara and possibly Limbo if you want to think about abilities. Limbo is literally 100% that, but he's not very fast and can't dole out a lot of damage to anyone at any time due to how he works. Ivara's abilities can't cause mass damage, but she has such an insane amount of variety and combat potential that she's become my favorite frame.

Thanks a ton for your input, I appreciate it very much. I think I have it narrowed down to Nova / Volt / Equinox. Imma just watch a bunch of youtube videos on them all lol. Thanks again everyone!

I'm also going to suggest Frost, he isn't exactly fast (not exactly slow either) but he is tank, and a very good defender. What you're interested in though, is that his avalanche can wipe out as many people as there are around you (this ability goes through walls and basically everything, so you don't even need to see the enemy to wipe them out!).

Just my 2 cents

I'm also going to suggest Frost, he isn't exactly fast (not exactly slow either) but he is tank, and a very good defender. What you're interested in though, is that his avalanche can wipe out as many people as there are around you (this ability goes through walls and basically everything, so you don't even need to see the enemy to wipe them out!).

Just my 2 cents

But itsn't frost the slowest frame along with rhino?

But itsn't frost the slowest frame along with rhino?

If you're a person that like sprinting, then yeah he's pretty slow. But everyone should bullet jump everywhere anyway, and I don't think anyone is slow bullet jumping.

If you want a guy that can press 1 button and kill a whole crowd, then Frost is your guy (but there certainly are other options too). Excal for instance, he's not slow, and his RJ can also kill a crowd (not as good as Frost though, but he has a larger range). And yeah, also what other people have said above.