The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Change Mod Polarities

theammostore

So after the Second Dream, we have some kind of idea as to what the embodiment of the old Tenno Clans were. Madurai was based on pure reckless damage, Vazarin on counters and reactive actions (healing and such), Naramon focusing on being prepared and knowing weaknesses (also known as bringing corrosive to a fight against Grineer) , Unairu on being strong like ox, and Zenurik being what a King is to his peasants (that is to say, absolute domination). It's neat, pretty simple, and I like it. However, I would like to change a bit, and I don't mean about the clans, more how the clans are represented in the game, primarily through the mods.

For those that aren't fully aware, the polarity of mods corresponds to a Tenno Clan, in theory that mod being an example of how that clan functions. Yet, the mods are all over the place. For example, Stormbringer is Naramon, which makes sense. It's an elemental damage which has a bonus to corpus but is weaker against Grineer, fits in with the whole 'know the weakness' thing, yet it's electric counter-part High Voltage is Madurai. And on top of that, the Rifle Aptitude mod, which is (kinda) the other half of High Voltage, as in the counterpart to the status chance half of that mod, is Vazarin. So a Naramon and a Vazarin combine into a Madurai? Shouldn't it be one or the other?

Personally (and I am fully aware this would be a logistical nightmare to sort out at any given point in time, so I am in no way expecting this to be done in a few hours) I would rehaul JUST the polarity of mods. A) It would make things more consistent and give us a clearer glimpse into the games lore (in a way) and B) it would help spread the mods around to the more ignored polarities, making Transmutation a tad more appealing as the individual polarity pools would be smaller (assume we ever get a Zenurik or Unairu transmute core).  Examples are as follows:

All ability based mods become Zenurik focused, as currently only Augments have that honor. This would include mods like Intensify and Continuity, as well as those like Blind Rage and Energy Siphon. They enhance our abilities which fits with the Domination through Power theme of Zenurik and gives us a consistent and focused idea of how to make more mods. If it impacts ability use, make it Zenurik.

Anything based around survival becomes Unairu, including Health/Shield/Armor mods, knockdown resistance, knockdown recovery (possibly Vazarin instead), and potentially any lifegain (again, possibly Vazarin). Once again, makes things more consistent and focused and easier to plan out for future mods. If the mod would increase the chance of survival, then it becomes Unairu

Vazarin takes any reactive mods or even mods that are triggered off of enemy actions. Those including Reflection, Reflex Guard (maybe Unairu?) Parry, even Rage and Provoked. Mods that work off of the enemy doing something in order to function. Obviously the healing themes means that Vazarin and Unairu would have a bit of an overlap, so discussion would have to happen based on how mods like Handspring would be changed. It helps increase survivability sure, but it also only comes into effect when an enemy gets a bit too physical. Basically, anything that's centered around reactions would be Vazarin

Naramon would have any specialty mods, like Corrosive Projection and the elemental mods, but also the Bane mods and the Status chance mods. Stealth mods could also apply to Naramon, as well as physical damage mods and perhaps Critical Damage and Chance mods but those fall into the same probably as healing mods. They could be one of two polarities, so those would need to have some discussion. All in all, Naramon would end up being the 'i must study up on what to bring' mods, the ones we go to the wiki for, the ones that would have the most testing done, things like that.

Madurai, lastly,  takes anything speed related as well as anything that ups raw damage. So reload speed is Madurai, firerrate is of course Madurai, Magazine size could be argued for it, punchthrough as well. Madurai I imagine as being the simplest of the Clans, so it gets the simpler mods. Not the weakest, but the simplest, the ones that make you better just by having them. The ones that don't really require any big thinking or tactics or require you to remember 'i have a bonus if I do X.' None of that, just straight, simple upgrades to whatever the mod is for.

Now, this should go without saying, but if this does come to happen, if this change were to actually take place, the playerbase would of course (i hate saying need) very much appreciate some kind of repayment for all of the formas that have been used. Whether or not that in the form of 'a forma for each one lost!' or 'One forma per person and that's final!' or something in between or even 'here, have an ammo drum!' is up to DE, but still. It'd be nice.

If you want a list of what I think should be the new pools of mods, I would be happy to make up a list, but I'd rather wait to see what other people think.

It makes sense when you line up things such as Stormbringer matching up with Naramon, but like you said in the second last section, the player base would be in an uproar that wouldn't be unheard for months to years due to the REforma-ing we would most likely have to go through. It's a good idea, and should most likely follow suit in the future mods, how ever; changing the current mods now would send many players to another game in my opinion.

Edited by Fuzzi

It makes sense when you line up things such as Stormbringer matching up with Naramon, but like you said in the second last section, the player base would be in an uproar that wouldn't be unheard for months to years due to the REforma-ing we would most likely have to go through. It's a good idea, and should most likely follow suit in the future mods, how ever; changing the current mods now would send many players to another game in my opinion.

Re-forma due to balance changes you say? Well, if you'll forgive a shameless plug, here's a reasonable and permanent solution to that.

Much less chance of riots due to "wasted" forma time/resources/effort when there's no sudden downside to what you invested in, would definitely mitigate a lot of the salt that woudl be brought with this sort of mass lore-based rebalancing.

(I'm not saying whether or not I agree with OP's classifications as they stand, as there's an obvious balance issue with spreading things over polarities e.g. "well I'll just polarise Zenurik for most of my frame slots and fit anything ever for a low investment", but if something like this were to happen a minor QOL reworking of polarities as a whole would go well with it)

Edited by EDYinnit

Madurai (V) Damage

Vazarin (D) Defense

Naramon (--) Utility

Zenurik ( = )  Augment mods or specialized Channel mods

Penjaga (Y) Pet Mods

Unairu ( r ) Some Stances.

I already memorized these guys by looking at them, in fact, it is the Second Dream that has to change the meanings for their Schools, because it is confusing as heck when Vazarin was described as "Counter attack" and it turns out to be heals and shields.