The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Colour Palette Breakdown

Blakrana

Well, it's been a little while and, I am currently unsure whether this is a Players Helping Players matter or not...but till then, here's a good 'safe bet' in any event. If the Mods think this should head elsewhere, by all means.

As the title indicates, this is to do with the Colour Palettes for Warframe that we still find lacking any real distinguishing information beyond perhaps a cell reference for a given palette...problem is that is still useless to people like myself who are colour blind, and it's just so clunky for conversation. When you say you're using Infested A15...I have no idea what colour that is without looking. And even still, won't know until I do look.

So, I set myself a little project this last week or so. Using the software Colourblind Assistant (or Colorblind Assistant more accurately), I took screenshots of the Palettes I possessed, put them into a spreadsheet and then, by viewing the centre of each respective cell of the palette, noted down the Name and RGB values of the designated cell's colour. I know this is low priority, I know that this isn't going to be likely a major game changer for people...but personally, I'm of the opinion that until we can see some labels in game, for ease of use for all users but especially those with colour vision difficulties, then I figured I may as well make an effort to do something to help in the interim.

This is the result.

I know that the odds are this will likely need work. There's a lot of repeated names, and the Colourblind Assistant Software is pixel sensitive, making it very very picky as to just what it tells me. In a given cell, I could get three or more colours it'd select...hence I again took the 'centre' value as the most accurate one. This is why I made sure to have the respective palette in the background for each instance, as this way...we can all tell, at a glance, what it is.

One way or another, I sincerely hope that this very amateur little document can help people with their colour schemes. I know for a fact a lot of my fellow colourblind people are likely very tired of picking a colour, having no clue what it is, so having to bug a friend for clarification. It gets old for everyone concerned, you know? If doing this means we can get into a discussion of perhaps some more 'setting appropriate' names to use, like those for the Dojo palette, that'd be grand. I'm sure that after all the WH40K references I've seen around here, people will be more than able to figure out some way to do a similar 'colour fluff' approach.

Any event, apologies for going on a bit here and I really do apologise if the upload quality is somewhat abysmal. Thanks for your time and patience, in any event.

PS: I named the Red/White/Blue palette Independence because Calc doesn't like spreadsheets with / in their names. Most appropriate alternate name I could think of.

M8, you should stop saving your screenshots in the .jpeg format; it's a lossy compression format better suited for photography, and it makes the images look awful with all the noise and artifacts.

Try doing it again, but this time saving the images in a .png format. That is, if you wish to bother doing the whole thing again.

Still, really nice work.

• 2 weeks later...

Spelling aside, may as well give a heads up on ongoing stuff.

As of the moment, currently working with a friend to convert the information into something more HTML friendly, and significantly better looking. Once that's done, plan is to start opening it up so we can get some consensus going on with just what to call each respective colour. Just been rather busy personally so sincere apologies for the delays.