The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Aspiring environment artist

DirtyBlueFL

Question

I love the environment art in Warframe. I just recently picked the game back up after poking around with it when it was in beta, and everything is beautiful in PBR so far that I have seen. I am finishing up my BA in game design, and considering going to FIEA in Orlando to get my masters degree. Beyond environment art, I've also got a lot of ideas for design elements regarding systems and balance, and some other things that I think would be pretty fun for players. Anyways, I've been queueing up in private extermination games, killing everything, and then taking the time to look around at all the assets to see how they are made...

Many assets have their UV space mirrored and repeated, and have lighting baked into them in engine, which leads to improper lighting on some surfaces. Textile density also varies. This leads me to believe that there is a "set" of items which share the same 2k materials. Designing an easily accessible, medium-low poly game, aimed at low hardware requirements, these are corners that are sensibly cut. I have noticed a few places where materials seem to z-fight as well, but they could just be the result of multiple instances of the same prefab placed into the environment, as it isn't replicated on other instances of the same mesh. All around, the environments are astounding; there are so many varied, unique and stylized tile sets. And, the syndicate halls are gorgeously inspired. Very impressive for such a short amount of time.

Questions:

Where can I access the UVs, materials, and meshes of ingame objects? I'd love to get a look at them and see the methodology for packing and stacking information into them.

What's the idea behind light baking in WF, and what's the process?

Where are the PBR materials for the frames on tennogen? All I see are diffuse maps.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet