Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Finished with Sorties and here's why.

Blacque

For those of you who know me, you know I like to detail my whining as much as possible and that there will be a lot of shennanigans to read.  If you love Tl:dr then please stuff a dictionary into your exilus slot and learn to patience.  Reading is fun!  On to the topic!

Good day to all of my fellow tenno chums!  Once more I will begin my post like I always do with all of the praise heaped upon DE and their wonderful work.  I've adored this game since I came back to it back in U11 (Nekros made me-jaw drop) I had originally played back when Corpus tileset was nearly all of you ever saw.  That aside, thanks DE to all of your work.  I never enter a post of critique without balancing out my sassy opinion with some cheerful, butt-kissery.

Now to the topic

TRUE RAGE WTFLOL SORTIES C'MON SON OF A-

Ahem sorry

As you can clearly see from the above mish mash of rage that my issue with sorties is that while Warframe is my game of choice.  My favorite game in fact, I have never, ever decided to just stop playing, or not participate before due to the cruel nature of RNG.  I am one of the various masses that has never been blessed by the Grand Lady of RNG.  RNGesus and myself have no relationship, I have not been invited to the club of people fortunate enough to get super rare drops on a single run.  I use key after key, pug after pug, plats after plats to get what I'm after.  Y'know what though?  That's fine by me!  In fact my biggest defense of Warframe's grind is as follow.

Idiot "Warframe is just a grind, that's dumb, who wants to do that,"

Me with Morgan Freeman's voice "Well you see the majority of multi player games have grind to them, you just may not notice it, or may appreciate it more due to its hidden nature.  In Warframe at least you know what you're in for and you don't have to pull teeth to try to figure out how to get what you want...idiot."

RNG isn't the enemy but the choices made to increase or decrease it can very much be an offsetting issue.  When Sorties first came out I made it a point to login to make them part of my daily ritual because I love a challenge, I love the idea and the problems they can present.  I really enjoyed the sorties.  The new sortie system seemed very promising and then after five sortie runs, and the same fun and challenge!  The reality sank in.

25 cores... 50 cores... 25 cores... until season reset.

I have a bad time with RNG but that's just my lot in life, I deal with it.  However when there is literally no way to get what I'm after it's a real kick to my soul.  Especially since the Focus lenses are only available through the sorties.  Sure it was annoying to get yet another Nez part, but I didn't mind that!  I have a clan to look after, friends to help out and trading to do.  Someone might want those things some day!  I was fine with getting yet another of the same lens.  However when you widdle down the choices and the repeatable items are cores, even the potatoes, LEGENDARY CORE, and Exilus Adapter fall by the way side.  Granted I'm sure the few and proud people of Warframe that actually have a good time with RNG and it loves them because RNG loves everyone more than me and sometimes I dream that RNG will show up with an open hand and say softly "It's okay I'm sorry, we can be friends now,"

That day will not happen I've played too many games built upon RNG's shoulder and that chick hates me with some sort of STRENTH!  Granted I might just be fussing about it due to my bad luck but even a few members of my clan mentioned how insanely more difficult is it to get lenses.  I can't get any other lens, I have what I can only imagine to have a snowball's chance in hell to get a Legendary Core since I can only consider it's drop rate to be insanely low.  So I don't really care to do Sorties anymore and I think that's a true shame, because I can only see it as yet another huge part of the game that I've chosen to set aside because the repeated rewards aren't worth looking forward to, it gives me no incentive to play at all.

Now of course this is my critique.  The old system had its issues and I've heard I believe that the sortie is in progress with works in progress and I'm glad to hear it.  For as difficult as the sorties can be, knowing full well that you'll get 25 cores.  I predicted 25 cores for the past week and was not wrong, though I think one of those times I got 50?  This is naturally coming from a higher tier player at 21, the last thing I need or want is fusion cores, they're nice I'll never complain about getting them in any other mission, but in a mission where I actually have to try and might even fail?  It's a kick in the _____ like getting orokin cells from a t3 void drop, seriously?  Who does that, that's insanity.

As with any criticism that I bring forth I do have an alternative, or an idea.  So here it is.  Give the season a cycle, make everything repeatable once, or twice, or three times.  Maybe three times for the most common things like cores.  At least you'll know when you get three sets of cores in a row that you'll have the pool opened up again.  Everything gets a check like the current system, and once you get everything up to their max, if possible, then the checks go again and you reroll!

Or tokens, I think that might have been mentioned.  The ability to gain tokens of a certain variety, or maybe even a set amount with each item costing a certain amount of tokens.  The difficulty of sorties is great and I love the challenge but for 25-50 cores, for a few, very unique, special snow flake players it's just not incentive to play.

Tenno First World Problems FTW

Thanks for your time!