Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Movement Changes - A Healthy Discussion

Majicebe

As a dozen other people have mentioned, movement is different and it's lead to some frustrations. I'm copying/editing a response I had to another thread, because I think it's worth starting a discussion without people getting overly harsh.

Plainly stated, the general feeling of movement feels weird and inconsistent now. I won't exaggerate in stating that the primary reason I've stuck with this game since I started is the joy the crazy freedom-of-movement this game gives -- it's all skill-based -- this is not something that can be said for nearly any game out there (maybe Prototype, but that's moot because it's singleplayer and we'll never see another one).

The act of moving in this game IS WHAT MAKES IT STAND OUT and what makes it fun (imo). Anyone can make a 1st or 3rd person shooter these days (and just about every company does). Most of the "skill" in those games comes from who can target the enemies' heads the fastest and push shoot. This is a markely different experience -- it's not about aiming at a face and shooting so much as it is about how you vanquish your enemy. THAT IS UNIQUE.

When movement is hindered in a game that is very heavily dependent upon fluid movement/actions, it detracts from overall gameplay. You can change mods, change frames, whatever, but the problem is that the movement has been altered for this movement-based game and those of us who have spent a great deal of time (and some of us money) have a right to be upset with how the game has changed.

I personally don't enjoy the game as much now. That's not going to prevent me from playing it, but knowing that the game can change this much with one little stealth nerf certainly makes me question whether I want to spend any additional money on it.

The devs aren't dumb -- they've made a great game and are clearly talented creators, but they also need to be made aware of the state of the game from the gamers' (THEIR CUSTOMERS') viewpoint. The game is less fun now. To some that might be slightly less fun, and others significantly less fun, and then others who maybe didn't use their movement as a weapon might not even notice. Regardless, it's impacted the game for people who prize movement the most, and it seems the biggest gripe is that THERE ARE BETTER SOLUTIONS TO RUSHERS THAN HAMSTRINGING EVERYONE.

How about we use this thread as not so much a sounding board for complaints, but maybe one for ideas about better solutions to the rushing problem -- I think it's a general concensus that this was what caused the change in movement. Let's crowsdsource a fix to this problem.

My Solution (not the best or brightest... just an idea):

The simplest I can think of is that if you're playing with more than 2 people, and 1 or two people get too far away from the rest of the group (too far can be defined later), then provide the same effect on the rushers as you get during the atmosphere leak where their shields/health slowly deplete until they get back in-range of the group. That might not prevent 2 people from ditching two others, but I think it would go a long way towards both having rushers and also having slackers take waaay too long to get through the map. Again, not the best, just 1 idea. Let's have some more/better ones.

UPDATE: DE has revoked the movement limitations (THANK YOU!). Praise be to DE ;P (Source: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/66795-hotfix-813/ )

Edited by Majicebe

Honestly, I do not notice a difference =/

EDIT:

For the rushing problem, the void managed to slow rushers quite a bit. I think we should have more traps and such around the map. Per say, a ship being destroyed should have pipes that break randomly and stagger the player or even push them down. Boxes falling. The enemy pushing stuff into you. Corpus crewmen, run up to door and trigger an impenetrable shield with a weakness to middle/sides (like cops do with those springy things to pop car tires). All of this kind of stuff stop rushers down without limiting mobility.

EDIT 2:

I believe in FPS games skill does not necessarily lie in being able to quick scope headshots (it is a great skill that I keep training to improve, nonetheless). But the ability to predict enemy and team-mate actions without much verbal/written communication. Used to play COD4 (because it was a really good CoD game, especially community zombie mods; better than Black Ops) and one thing I learned is prediction, that is hard to learn but once you do the gaming world is seen very differently, you almost start to see symbols and no more textures or models. Everything is different, learn this and any game requiring any skill whatsoever will become much easier, learn when your enemy will flank you or when your team-mate will pop their head up from underneath cover. Warframe: learn when they decide to go ape-shizzle-melee-crazy or when they use Mind Control on an ancient (do not shoot that ancient >.<). Skill is not just in shooting, without prediction you will solo the game. Unless it is free for all then it is not meant to be soloed.

Edited by noveltyhero

On the complaint side:

I MUST admit that it's the 'move like a ninja' part that seduced me most.

Don't take me wrong on this one i don't like to rush ( though if you do it doesn't bother me much ), always wait for team mates etc.., and i like the amount of content, customisation and effort that DE put into this neat little treasure !

It is true that, even being a newbie ( 5 days max. ), I felt the little difference which at start wasn't such a big deal ... but now is becoming more of a pain that something i just notice and then "meh whatever" it just breaks the flow of movement and make it less "parkourish" :)

On the ideas side:

There was an idea i read that i liked.

It was that you could put your status "Looter/Crazy runner/Ninja/Whatever" under your profile.

It would be picked in the matchmaking calculations.

What i would add to this is the ability ( like solo/private/online ) to choose what player type you want, e.g i would select Looters/Online, this way i would only connect to player that won't rush and wait for me. Or maybe if i just want to farm bosses etc i pick Rusher and boom, noone behind etcetera.

I realise this implies maybe fewer available area players. But it's a risk i would gladly take ;)

My two cents that might be worth even less ;)

Edited by GJMDarkBoss

Honestly, I do not notice a difference =/

From what I can understand, you were getting the "sprint boost" every time you used slide, but now you have to wait about 3 seconds before using it again.

IMO, they should give the jump slide and normal slide their own cooldown.

From what I can understand, you were getting the "sprint boost" every time you used slide, but now you have to wait about 3 seconds before using it again.

IMO, they should give the jump slide and normal slide their own cooldown.

I use that a lot with non-heavies. I do not see a problem with a cool-down system being implemented on things, but they did that with the wrong reasons. Rushers be rushing

On the complaint side:

I MUST admit that it's the 'move like a ninja' part that seduced me most.

Don't take me wrong on this one i don't like to rush ( though if you do it doesn't bother me much ), always wait for team mates etc.., and i like the amount of content, customisation and effort that DE put into this neat little treasure !

It is true that, even being a newbie ( 5 days max. ), I felt the little difference which at start wasn't such a big deal ... but now is becoming more of a pain that something i just notice and then "meh whatever" it just breaks the flow of movement and make it less "parkourish" :)

On the ideas side:

There was an idea i read that i liked.

It was that you could put your status "Looter/Crazy runner/Ninja/Whatever" under your profile.

It would be picked in the matchmaking calculations.

What i would add to this is the ability ( like solo/private/online ) to choose what player type you want, e.g i would select Looters/Online, this way i would only connect to player that won't rush and wait for me. Or maybe if i just want to farm bosses etc i pick Rusher and boom, noone behind etcetera.

I realise this implies maybe fewer available area players. But it's a risk i would gladly take ;)

My two cents that might be worth even less ;)

Oh yeah, I'm in no way advocating rushing.  I simply don't understand the need to rush through a map.  If you want to just rush through, why wouldn't you just play solo and do the same thing?  What the hell is the point of playing online co-op multiplayer if you're not working with a team?  I just don't get the point of rushing in general.

As for your idea; I think something like that could work.  I wouldn't mind seeing a simple option of "Rusher/Speed" or "Co-op" Leagues (or whatever they'd call them) and then if some rusher player puts in co-op and just rushes through, maybe have the ability to report that player, and if the player gets X number or reports he's officially warned by the "Tenno Ethics Enforcement Members" (TEEM, ha!) or something, and maybe after X warnings they're forced to play on one League or the other.  Same could be done for stragglers in the Rush/Speed league.

Edited by Majicebe

I use that a lot with non-heavies. I do not see a problem with a cool-down system being implemented on things, but they did that with the wrong reasons. Rushers be rushing

Agreed, I'd say it's even more difficult to catch-up with rushers now than before.  The rushers are using faster frames with sprint mods.  I'll say it again, hamstringing everyone isn't the answer.

Oh yeah, I'm in no way advocating rushing.  I simply don't understand the need to rush through a map.  If you want to just rush through, why wouldn't you just play solo and do the same thing?  What the hell is the point of playing online co-op multiplayer if you're not working with a team?  I just don't get the point of rushing in general.

As for your idea; I think something like that could work.  I wouldn't mind seeing a simple option of "Rusher/Speed" or "Co-op" Leagues (or whatever they'd call them) and then if some rusher player puts in co-op and just rushes through, maybe have the ability to report that player, and if the player gets X number or reports he's officially warned by the "Tenno Ethics Enforcement Members" (TEEM, ha!) or something, and maybe after X warnings they're forced to play on one League or the other.  Same could be done for stragglers in the Rush/Speed league.

I like this idea. This is a nice @(*()&#036; idea! :D   (far cry ref for those who don't know)

They need to implement player/community management in-game ASAP. Like LoL did with honour and report system. The sooner the better to filter out community. Reports are needed for those foul mouthed and douchebags and honour for those that deserve it (i.e spending an extra 10 mins helping your unranked noob get through the level :)    Opinions on this?

I like this idea. This is a nice @(*()$ idea! :D   (far cry ref for those who don't know)

They need to implement player/community management in-game ASAP. Like LoL did with honour and report system. The sooner the better to filter out community. Reports are needed for those foul mouthed and douchebags and honour for those that deserve it (i.e spending an extra 10 mins helping your unranked noob get through the level :)    Opinions on this?

I think a community-based honor system could work pretty well with a co-op type game of this nature.  Then again, there could still be a good mechanics-based solution out there against rushing.  I like the doors that require at least one other person to open -- maybe something more along those lines where all 4 people have to activate the elevator or a pressure plate for the door to open or something.  Or maybe corpus force fields will just always be activated if you're far enough away from the group.  Those could all work too.  You can rush all you want... for the next 75 feet ;P

I think a community-based honor system could work pretty well with a co-op type game of this nature.  Then again, there could still be a good mechanics-based solution out there against rushing.  I like the doors that require at least one other person to open -- maybe something more along those lines where all 4 people have to activate the elevator or a pressure plate for the door to open or something.  Or maybe corpus force fields will just always be activated if you're far enough away from the group.  Those could all work too.  You can rush all you want... for the next 75 feet ;P

It is quite awkward for them when that happens (they run, you don't; you gain a mod or two, they wait for 5 mins for you)

Me and my friend sometimes just stop and stare at the rusher AFG-ing (away from game). Then they get annoyed cause they can't open door without us.

It is quite awkward for them when that happens (they run, you don't; you gain a mod or two, they wait for 5 mins for you)

Me and my friend sometimes just stop and stare at the rusher AFG-ing (away from game). Then they get annoyed cause they can't open door without us.

Agreed.  Happens way too often.  I'd prefer a league-type idea where you can classify yourself as either a rusher or co-op/slow, or maybe something as simple as "Advanced" or "Pro" versus "Normal" or something like that.  You're always going to have differences in those groups I'm sure, but at least if you join up as "Advanced", you'd know what you're getting yourself into, and vice versa.

I totally agree with you !

[Offtopic]

What pisses me the most is those player that rush, and you, because in your head it's a co-op game then you have to stick to your mates ... so you try to keep up ... But what do they do when they see you coming to elevator ? Push 'X' ... Biggest troll ever encountered

Or better they rush, and leave you stranded in a middle of some heavy-*ss showdown.

Better fight with the best than rush like the rest heh ;)

[/Offtopic]

Lol sorry just came back from some epic co-op solo battle, so had to share ;)

But i really like the Looter-Rusher status, like on MSN, you can have a status displayed under your pseudo. 

I think it would be great and i like the honour rank too, like maybe being voted by the comunity ?

Yep like in farcry as said above, when you leave the mission more than X feet you have to get back to there in 10 seconds or you teleport back into action !

Agreed.  Happens way too often.  I'd prefer a league-type idea where you can classify yourself as either a rusher or co-op/slow, or maybe something as simple as "Advanced" or "Pro" versus "Normal" or something like that.  You're always going to have differences in those groups I'm sure, but at least if you join up as "Advanced", you'd know what you're getting yourself into, and vice versa.

I totally agree with you !

[Offtopic]

What &!$$es me the most is those player that rush, and you, because in your head it's a co-op game then you have to stick to your mates ... so you try to keep up ... But what do they do when they see you coming to elevator ? Push 'X' ... Biggest troll ever encountered

Or better they rush, and leave you stranded in a middle of some heavy-*ss showdown.

Better fight with the best than rush like the rest heh ;)

[/Offtopic]

Lol sorry just came back from some epic co-op solo battle, so had to share ;)

But i really like the Looter-Rusher status, like on MSN, you can have a status displayed under your pseudo. 

I think it would be great and i like the honour rank too, like maybe being voted by the comunity ?

What we need is profile scaling to be brought out before matchmaking as we know it now. I mean, I want to play with players that have around the same rank profile as me. This way you do not get low level 10 year olds ruining the game for you and in most cases rank 4+ means they know enough to not waste time by pressing X just when you are about to enter. I had it done to me by a rank 2 player  (Excalibur, surprise surprise) and just about managed to slide in. Quite annoying these little buggers.

What we need is profile scaling to be brought out before matchmaking as we know it now. I mean, I want to play with players that have around the same rank profile as me. This way you do not get low level 10 year olds ruining the game for you and in most cases rank 4+ means they know enough to not waste time by pressing X just when you are about to enter. I had it done to me by a rank 2 player  (Excalibur, surprise surprise) and just about managed to slide in. Quite annoying these little buggers.

Yep true, i remember once i did it in one of my very first missions i really felt ashamed because every other tenno looked at me strangely ! Then i looked the mini-map and understood my error, at least i came back down for him..

Yep true, i remember once i did it in one of my very first missions i really felt ashamed because every other tenno looked at me strangely ! Then i looked the mini-map and understood my error, at least i came back down for him..

In my first mission. I was lucky to have one of those players which I became. All Up For Teaching (AUFT, Might make it big). I was happy to find that somebody replied with a nice comment and not "NOOB UNINSTALL, IM PRO IM PRO I GO SOLO AND DIE AND NOT LISTEN TO YOU" (I came from League of Legends and I am happy that this game has saved me from it.)

I like this tread and as Majicebe has put so clearly this makes the game less fun.

I suggest that each level should have more locked doors that require multiple players to unlock, and maby this should be scaled according to how many players are in the current session in stead of having a set 2 when you aren't soloing, thus slowing down the rushers and maby like with some of the bosses(like Jackel) it only activates once all the players are present and within a set distance of the boss, as I suspect this is where rushing happens the most. I also like the traps and obstacles Idea.

Ok firstly i have to say one thing, i think the cooldown system rooted from good intentions, and i dont have a major issue with it, yet i do understand where those that do are coming from. My suggestion to this would be that since we already have stamina, why not work the slides and 'ninja movements' into that, allowing a burst of uninterrupted jump, slide, wall run, flip, slide, something(s) until you are out of stamina and then need to recharge, this is what i feel would work best for how the gameplay is now.

On the topic of people running ahead, i don't think these whole elaborate traps and what not are necessary, Look at what is already there, the locked doors that require 2 people to open, this is already in place, increasing the frequency of their occurrence may keep more people together during a mission, and 2 out of a total of 4 is still majority in my opinion.

Overall i do agree that the movement and indeed the 'ninja' element of the gameplay has suffered in the latest changes, and i feel that it definitely needs to be changed/fixed moving forward.

Edited by CreeChy

I like this tread and as Majicebe has put so clearly this makes the game less fun.

I suggest that each level should have more locked doors that require multiple players to unlock, and maby this should be scaled according to how many players are in the current session in stead of having a set 2 when you aren't soloing, thus slowing down the rushers and maby like with some of the bosses(like Jackel) it only activates once all the players are present and within a set distance of the boss, as I suspect this is where rushing happens the most. I also like the traps and obstacles Idea.

Yes, boss activation should only be when all players are here. How many times i just arrive to kill like Vork/Vok/Vod ( can't recall :p ), and he's already dead :(.

But in the mean time, i think rushers shouldn't be blamed, because in the end, it's their game too ! They shouldn't be punished for playing the way they want ! ( And really, when sometimes i hear that you SHOULD play a certain way just starts me up ... ). It's a fast paced game, so people just wanting to start the action now should be rewarded in their field of competence.

So from these fews ideas we can start to sketch something ? Maybe like being a Looter you won't have "Kill mods" too often, but more "stealth / stealing mods" ? Rarest ones or whatever ? What do you think ?

CreeChy:

Ok firstly i have to say one thing, i think the cooldown system rooted from good intentions, and i dont have a major issue with it, yet i do understand where those that do are coming from. My suggestion to this would be that since we already have stamina, why not work the slides and 'ninja movements' into that, allowing a burst of uninterrupted jump, slide, wall run, flip, slide, something(s) until you are out of stamina and then need to recharge, this is what i feel would work best for how the gameplay is now.

On the topic of people running ahead, i don't think these whole elaborate traps and what not are necessary, Look at what is already there, the locked doors that require 2 people to open, this is already in place, increasing the frequency of their occurrence may keep more people together during a mission, and 2 out of a total of 4 is still majority in my opinion.

Overall i do agree that the movement and indeed the 'ninja' element of the gameplay has suffered in the latest changes, and i feel that it definitely needs to be changed/fixed moving forward.

Yes you have good points, and with constructive posts like yours and others we can go far i feel it !

But i think it won't eliminate the rusher vs. looter debate, even if they can only jump-slide-flip-slide-flip for example for 10 seconds straight they'll be at extraction before you looted half your way to there ?!

Looters will feel set aside, rushers will rage and go private ... So much seggregation is it really necessary ? It makes the little tenno here really sad :'( :) :)

Edited by GJMDarkBoss

As a dozen other people have mentioned, movement is different and it's lead to some frustrations.  I'm copying/editing a response I had to another thread, because I think it's worth starting a discussion without people getting overly harsh.

Plainly stated, the general feeling of movement feels weird and inconsistent now.  I won't exaggerate in stating that the primary reason I've stuck with this game since I started is the joy the crazy freedom-of-movement this game gives -- it's all skill-based -- this is not something that can be said for nearly any game out there (maybe Prototype, but that's moot because it's singleplayer and we'll never see another one).

The act of moving in this game IS WHAT MAKES IT STAND OUT and what makes it fun (imo).  Anyone can make a 1st or 3rd person shooter these days (and just about every company does).  Most of the "skill" in those games comes from who can target the enemies' heads the fastest and push shoot.  This is a markely different experience -- it's not about aiming at a face and shooting so much as it is about how you vanquish your enemy.  THAT IS UNIQUE.

When movement is hindered in a game that is very heavily dependent upon fluid movement/actions, it detracts from overall gameplay.  You can change mods, change frames, whatever, but the problem is that the movement has been altered for this movement-based game and those of us who have spent a great deal of time (and some of us money) have a right to be upset with how the game has changed.

I personally don't enjoy the game as much now.  That's not going to prevent me from playing it, but knowing that the game can change this much with one little stealth nerf certainly makes me question whether I want to spend any additional money on it.

The devs aren't dumb -- they've made a great game and are clearly talented creators, but they also need to be made aware of the state of the game from the gamers' (THEIR CUSTOMERS') viewpoint.  The game is less fun now.  To some that might be slightly less fun, and others significantly less fun, and then others who maybe didn't use their movement as a weapon might not even notice.  Regardless, it's impacted the game for people who prize movement the most, and it seems the biggest gripe is that THERE ARE BETTER SOLUTIONS TO RUSHERS THAN HAMSTRINGING EVERYONE.

How about we use this thread as not so much a sounding board for complaints, but maybe one for ideas about better solutions to the rushing problem -- I think it's a general concensus that this was what caused the change in movement.  Let's crowsdsource a fix to this problem.

My Solution (not the best or brightest... just an idea):

The simplest I can think of is that if you're playing with more than 2 people, and 1 or two people get too far away from the rest of the group (too far can be defined later), then provide the same effect on the rushers as you get during the atmosphere leak where their shields/health slowly deplete until they get back in-range of the group.  That might not prevent 2 people from ditching two others, but I think it would go a long way towards both having rushers and also having slackers take waaay too long to get through the map.  Again, not the best, just 1 idea.  Let's have some more/better ones.

Your suggestion is fantastic! +1

Don't punish everyone! Punish the people who deserve to be punished.

Give us our crazy ninja-moves back!!

The thing is that i'm surprised people rush because that would obviously mean they don't care for experience and drops. They also obviously don't realize you -only- get shared exp when you're close to the team. Not to mention you're increasing odds of survival.

All that aside..

I agree 100% that everyone shouldn't be punished, but it should be more of a punishment for those wandering off.

Suggestion: If you're with a group of 2 or more make it so if you're alone, mobs will spawn in higher capacity around the individual who rushed ahead. Forcing 'smart' players to retreat back to their teammates and wait for re-enforcements or 'stubborn' players to duke it out to slow them down for the rest to catch up. For that, maybe the mobs that spawn around the rusher should be higher level? Llke a hit-squad of elites were sent to isolate one of the targets and eliminate them!

I always found it funny when they rushed, and then got themselves swarmed and killed. I would just not bother ressing them because A) They're too effing far away and 2) No, I'm not risking my life to blow past 1/2 of the map to res you to be caught up by a mob only to see you already now at the objective marker.

Yes you have good points, and with constructive posts like yours and others we can go far i feel it !

But i think it won't eliminate the rusher vs. looter debate, even if they can only jump-slide-flip-slide-flip for example for 10 seconds straight they'll be at extraction before you looted half your way to there ?!

Looters will feel set aside, rushers will rage and go private ... So much seggregation is it really necessary ? It makes the little tenno here really sad :'( :) :)

Agreed, the difference between looters and rushers is an issue, however there is already solo/private modes for rushers, yet this relies on the human element to select it, which as we all know, the human element is usually the impossible to fix. Which is why i suggested the locked doors if in online mode, the assumption is there that the majority of people will want to complete the mission in its entirety (Or close there to) and locked doors requiring more people to open will make people slightly more dependent on the 'team' than themselves. Perhaps if the doors required the amount of people in the party to be opened. i.e: 3 Terminals must be pressed for a squad of 3 players, or even majority to avoid the REALLY slow people who stare at a wall for 20 min. i.e: 3 Terminals for party of 4 players etc.

Edited by CreeChy

One reason why people rush, and one reason why I rushed in particular would be for bosses that NEVER DROP BLUEPRINTS. Who wants to spend 25 minutes doing one mission to fight a boss just to find out it didnt drop anything? People rush to finish bosses quickly, it gets killed in 5 minutes and they can try again until they get a blueprint. Now perhaps if they increased the drop rate, maybe people wouldnt have to rush through boss missions.

One reason why people rush, and one reason why I rushed in particular would be for bosses that NEVER DROP BLUEPRINTS. Who wants to spend 25 minutes doing one mission to fight a boss just to find out it didnt drop anything? People rush to finish bosses quickly, it gets killed in 5 minutes and they can try again until they get a blueprint. Now perhaps if they increased the drop rate, maybe people wouldnt have to rush through boss missions.

Boss missions are one thing -- I can understand the need to farm it, but that's only like 1/15th of the game.  We're all very aware the rushers don't keep themselves to boss missions alone.  They plague alerts heavily, and standard missions all-too-frequently as well.  I'd estimate at least 1/3 of the random games I play end up having at least 1 rusher.  It's definitely an issue, and I can appreciate that everyone should play like they want, but when that just detracts from the other 75% of players in any given map, then they really shouldn't get to do that.  "Needs of the many..." and all that ;P

I only rush in solo but I think it's wrong to punish rushers. They need to be able to play the game the way they want to. They may be paying for it so why can't they play how they want. They already make it so if half the people are at the extraction point than the timer will run down. That's good enough IMO. It's not hard to just get clan mates and run with them if u want to go slow. Everyone should already be in one, and being in a clan is non restrictive and unlocks more game content as ll as provide us with the means to support our own match making. Leave the rushers alone.

Edit* trying to kill rushing makes boss farming take needlessly longer as well. Not really digging that

Edited by blackraver

I only rush in solo but I think it's wrong to punish rushers. They need to be able to play the game the way they want to. They may be paying for it so why can't they play how they want. They already make it so if half the people are at the extraction point than the timer will run down. That's good enough IMO. It's not hard to just get clan mates and run with them if u want to go slow. Everyone should already be in one, and being in a clan is non restrictive and unlocks more game content as ll as provide us with the means to support our own match making. Leave the rushers alone.

Edit* trying to kill rushing makes boss farming take needlessly longer as well. Not really digging that

You realize that just detracts from the way the other 3 people play on the mission, right?  One (selfish) person gets what he wants, the other 3 don't.  Is that fair?  Moreso -- do you think that's how the developers intended the game to be played?  I'm guessing no, which is why they're seeking for ways to correct it.

So on one hand, we've got rushing equating to less fun for the other people in the group, and on the other hand we've got a partially-broken play method that the developers don't want...  Pretty sure this means things are going to change, and seeing as how the movement penalty didn't fix it, I'm guessing there's something else in the works.