Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe: A First Timer's Thoughts.

RyojinOrion

As seen through a conversation with him on Steam. I tried to cut out the irrelevant stuff, so it will kinda look like we were jumping from topic to topic, so I apologize for that.

Him: after playing it a bit
Him: WOW THIS GAME
Him: ...has a terrible UI

[...]

Me: other thoughts?
Him: hm, i like the graphic design, but level design.... sometimes maps look fabulous, and then you get into a friggin maze that you can barely navigate in
Him: we'll probably play it a bit more to see if it gets more interesting when you get access to more powers
Him: but the first impressions weren't exactly great

[...]
Him: well, i tried to go melee as much as possible
Him: ...then i noticed that it's not quite worth the hassle, since headshots drop most enemies almost instantly

[...]

Him: it's not a good sign when you play a new game with two friends and we all yawn after an hour XD
Him: though I believe the game has the potential to be really awesome
Me: Yeah
Him: the universe seems compelling
Him: and since it's beta, I won't judge it too hard
Him: who knows, maybe the final version will be more interesting, would be nice if they made the beginning more engaging
Me: yeah
Me: The main problem the game has, IMO, is how much of a grindfest it becomes
Him: when i started planetside2 i got into a middle of a HUGE battle
Him: there was so much S#&$ going on I could barely keep up
Him: and this got me hooked up

[...]
Him: anyway, when i was riding a tank, as a part of a bigger armor division, with fighters flying over our heads and markers buzzing all over the place during a night assault on a base,, THAT is a kind of experience I fell in love  :D
Him: well, battles in ps2 can easily last hours, and usually there's hundreds of players on each side
Me: Yeah, missions in warframe last 15 minutes or so max unless you are incredibly weak
Him: or you get lost in the friggin maze
Him: xd
Me: Yeah, sometimes the waypoint bugs out and doesn't show the exact point you need to go
Him: well, guess what  i experienced then
Him: bugged waypoints

Overall disappointment. I've had similar reactions from some other friends of mine.

And now my thoughts on what he said:

Honestly, he's right. This game isn't that engaging. It does get a bit more interesting as it goes on, but it is more or less a kind of game where what you see at the very beginning is what you see at the very end... So if the start isn't engaging enough, neither is the end.

What interested me in this game was the movement. It felt different than most of the other games I have played, and I fell in love with that. I love being able to speed through enemies, letting them shoot away at where I used to be. I love drawing them close together, speeding out of immediate danger, and nailing them with an AoE while they are bunched together. I love finding creative ways to move and put myself in a better position for combat. But outside of that style of movement and my inner completionist screaming at me to max out my frames and weapons, there isn't a whole lot to really drag me into the game. It is too easy and there isn't enough to actually do while in the missions. You can shoot stuff, you can open lockers, and you can parkour a little bit, not even all that well.

You're right. I personally love the game, but I agree it could use a little more.

I do think they're going in the right direction (with the odd detour and backtrack :P) and with the influx of money and staff from Sony they can afford to be a bit more ambitious.

As long as they don't break their own mechanics and keep adding new content I'll be here for another 200 hours :)

You're right. I personally love the game, but I agree it could use a little more.

I do think they're going in the right direction (with the odd detour and backtrack :P) and with the influx of money and staff from Sony they can afford to be a bit more ambitious.

As long as they don't break their own mechanics and keep adding new content I'll be here for another 200 hours :)

Agreed. I do have high hopes for this game. I can see it's potential, and I would love to see it's potential fully realized.

I don't think your friend's opinion is that intelligent. I don't know what he was expecting out of this game but comparing it to Planetside 2 shows that he wanted something big with lots of players. Warframe is a game that focuses on PVE while Planetside 2 focuses on PVP, which is obviously what he's into.

I don't think your friend's opinion is that intelligent. I don't know what he was expecting out of this game but comparing it to Planetside 2 shows that he wanted something big with lots of players. Warframe is a game that focuses on PVE while Planetside 2 focuses on PVP, which is obviously what he's into.

PVE/PVP has nothing to do with what he was talking about, and his complaints weren't on the amount of players. It was about what all there is going on in the missions. To be honest, there really isn't that much going on in Waframe. There's guys shooting you, and there's a max of three other players shooting back. That's it. It leads to repetitive gameplay, and repetitive gameplay gets old fast. That was what he was trying to say, but the point was lost. Call it shoddy editing on my part.

But to a certain extent, he did go into the game with Planetside 2 in mind, because he plays it so much, and that is a bit unfair to Warframe. But that doesn't automatically invalidate his thoughts on the game.

Edited by RyojinOrion