The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Syndicate Based Assassination

Gorila_Azul

FIRST OF ALL: If a similar concept has been discussed about before, please let me know. This is a concept me and a friend of mine idealized a while ago. Any similarities are merely a coincidence.

Formalities away:

Have you ever wished that the combat with the opposing syndicates' minions could feel a little more unique? Me too.

All the syndicates have a whole bunch of Tenno supporting them. Why are they content with using only ospreys or chargers to take care of their rivals?

WHAT IF: you could get special alerts when you are playing. Alerts, not announced by the Lotus, but by the leader of one of the syndicates you fight for. While one of those is active, your star chart points you to a node, where a random player who fights for the enemy syndicate is doing a regular mission (no sorties, no boss, no quests, etc.) solo. You "join" their game, but instead of fighting with them, you try to defeat them for the honor of your syndicate. In a manner that would blend random assassin attacks and PvP, the combat between the syndicates would feel that much more alive.

Now, to be clear, I know that there is no such mechanics in the game that allows you to pop into another player's PvE mode, and start attacking them, and that this scenario just might be as far fetched as it can be. This is just a work of rampant imagination.

However, in this work of rampant imagination, I did visualize how it would possibly work:

-The player joining the game with the role of assassin would carry no revives with them. Being killed by the target would mean sudden failure.

-Should the assassination target be defeated, this death would not count towards their total revives amount (On that matter, the possibility of making another player ruin 30 minutes of T4 Survival and making you lose all the prime parts and mods and loot you just got would probably cause way too much tension between players. Safer to just add a free revive, or simply make it so the Tenno don't actually finish each other off).

-Successfully carring out an assassination or defending yourself against one would grant huge amounts of standing for your respective syndicate.

-The assassination would only occur between enemy syndicates (not opposed syndicates - only Red Veil vs Arbiters or New Loka vs Steel Meridian and so on).

-Only players in the highest rank of a syndicate may be elligible to be marked for assassination or to carry out an assassination (Exalteds vs Maxims; Flawlesses vs Generals; and so on).

What do you think? Do you think it would fit well into the game, if the mechanics were sorted out well? Do you think any piece of lore might be contradicting this concept far too much? Let me know how this idea makes you feel.

I like it, but I have a few questions:

When "invading" another players game, what happens to all the enemies? As the assassin, are they hostile to you, or do they ignore you entirely? Are the odds stacked against the invaded Tenno, with both AI enemies and the assassin firing upon them?

Would conclave rules apply (if enemies ignored the fighting tenno), as keeping statistics the same for PvE would mean 2 second fights which equate to who can shoot the quickest with their one-shot-weapon-you're-probably-dead. Or would damage be reduced to make fights longer/generally more interesting and fun?

Would there be any way to fully disable the invasions? Maybe an option on a syndicate sigil that enables the assassinations to take place, or wearing the highest tier sigil?

Just questioning game mechanics here. 

An interesting idea but I don't think it fits well in to the idea of Tenno working together as one large group. We're constantly told how honorable the Tenno are and the game makes the point where we would do nearly anything to save a fellow Tenno (Like that trailer where a full squad saves one Excalibur or how we carry out preemptive strikes to protect the Tenno/System as a whole (Raids. Most tactical alerts. Events)). Now suddenly we're supposed to go after one another because they don't support the same team as us? Dunno, just doesn't sound right.

And there's the issue of balance. The target may have a weapon that can one shot Level 100 mobs with ease. Then comes along this assassin with, say, 1000 shields+health. Doesn't seem like the fight will last very long (It could go the other way around too, giving the target no chance to fight back).

I believe there should be more with syndicates but not in the form of PvP. Perhaps something like an invasion mission between syndicate soldiers or raiding syndicate outposts?

No. You have no idea how many threads about it there have been. Why is it a no? Because such a thing would not work in Warframe. For one, not everybody likes mixing pve and pvp. Secondly, it would be broken beyond belief. Conclave is balanced for a reason. Normal weapons and abilities are far too powerful to be used in pvp. Hysteria, Exalted Blade, Invisibility, the list goes on.

5 hours ago, Jamofboy said:

When "invading" another players game, what happens to all the enemies? As the assassin, are they hostile to you, or do they ignore you entirely? Are the odds stacked against the invaded Tenno, with both AI enemies and the assassin firing upon them?

I imagine the most reasonable scenario would be both fighters are attacked by the mobs, since I don't think most of them can even distinguish a Tenno from another. Would balance it a bit more, too.

5 hours ago, Jamofboy said:

Would conclave rules apply (if enemies ignored the fighting tenno), as keeping statistics the same for PvE would mean 2 second fights which equate to who can shoot the quickest with their one-shot-weapon-you're-probably-dead. Or would damage be reduced to make fights longer/generally more interesting and fun?

Would there be any way to fully disable the invasions? Maybe an option on a syndicate sigil that enables the assassinations to take place, or wearing the highest tier sigil?

Just questioning game mechanics here. 

5 hours ago, Genitive said:

For one, not everybody likes mixing pve and pvp. Secondly, it would be broken beyond belief. Conclave is balanced for a reason. Normal weapons and abilities are far too powerful to be used in pvp. Hysteria, Exalted Blade, Invisibility, the list goes on.

5 hours ago, Zombies164 said:

And there's the issue of balance. The target may have a weapon that can one shot Level 100 mobs with ease. Then comes along this assassin with, say, 1000 shields+health. Doesn't seem like the fight will last very long (It could go the other way around too, giving the target no chance to fight back).

Due to the reasons stated above, I think it would go without saying that the rules of Conclave would apply to make it balanced and generally more fun. As to not everyone enjoying PvP with PvE, there could always be a way to disable it entirely. I liked the idea of wearing a special sigil that would allow you to be part of these contracts.

5 hours ago, Zombies164 said:

An interesting idea but I don't think it fits well in to the idea of Tenno working together as one large group. We're constantly told how honorable the Tenno are and the game makes the point where we would do nearly anything to save a fellow Tenno (Like that trailer where a full squad saves one Excalibur or how we carry out preemptive strikes to protect the Tenno/System as a whole (Raids. Most tactical alerts. Events)). Now suddenly we're supposed to go after one another because they don't support the same team as us? Dunno, just doesn't sound right.

Fair point.

6 hours ago, p_ar7hur said:

Due to the reasons stated above, I think it would go without saying that the rules of Conclave would apply to make it balanced and generally more fun.

Why not make it a part of the Conclave then? Mixing pvp and pve wouldn't really work, but a similar concept would probably work as a Conclave mode.