Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Petition for manual updates?

Donethium

Question

I'm fairly sure there have been other threads like this but i think it would be much more convenient to have manual update downloads for folks struggling with the launcher. right now  I'm having trouble downloading 60 megabytes, i can't imagine what it would be like to download 2 gig 

EDIT: what i mean is that they should have the update files ready for download on there site because the launcher has some issues sometimes, sorry for not being clear folks 

Edited by Donethium

12 answers to this question

if you mean playing the game without having the same version of the game as the servers thats impossible

if you mean taking a external device plugging into a computer with a better internet download the patches and then install them on your pc from said device that could be a thing, you would still have to handle the 200+ ms ping though

what i mean is that they just post downloads to the latest updates because the launcher can be buggy sometimes and we can patch it ourselves. im not saying they should host a bunch of servers for different version of the game, im saying that they should have an option to let us download the patch manually 

1 hour ago, Acebaur said:

I think what he means is that you'd still have to have the latest version of the game but you could go to somewhere on warframes site to manually download the update instead of having the launcher do it. 

That is EXACTLY what i mean, thank you!

29 minutes ago, Donethium said:

That is EXACTLY what i mean, thank you!

My apologies, I misunderstood the context of your original post.

In that context, I am sure that it may be possible. However it is easier for DE to just release it from the launcher as we do not know what background processes are in operation through the launcher such as deleting, replacing and adding files to the game and game file verification.

Additionally, I would imagine that in order to release the update separately from the launcher they would need to code a separate installation program to mimic the actions performed through the launcher, something which I cannot see them doing when they have the launcher already coded to facilitate the updates and I doubt it would be in their best interests to fund something which they have already made.

Edited by Skinner1818
Grammar changes

Just now, Skinner1818 said:

My apologies I misunderstood the context of your original post.

In that context, I am sure that it may be possible. However it is easier for DE to just release it from the launcher as we do not know what background processes are in operation through the launcher such as deleting, replacing and adding files to the game.

Additionally, I would imagine that in order to release the update separately from the launcher they would need to code a separate installation program to mimic the actions performed through the launcher, something which I cannot see them doing when they have the launcher already coded to facilitate the updates.

Additionally, even if the updates were available on a separate server the server would still likely be located in a similar area to where the current launcher update server is kept, meaning that your latency would still be around the same value as it is now resulting in a similar download speed to what you are experiencing now.

i don't mind using the launcher if it wouldn't hinder my download speed so much, my usual dl is 350-400 kb/s but when i use the launcher i only get around 10kb/s on average. I understand that it could be trouble for coding an installation package so the launcher would recognize it properly but its not like it hasn't been done in the past. I believe that DE has a talented group of people at the helm and this is definitely something they are capable of.  They might lose some players too because i don't think everyone is patient enough to wait 3 hours for 61 mb :(

Edited by Donethium

4 minutes ago, Skinner1818 said:

Ouch. That is painful. How long did it take you down download the game in the first place? 

Just now, Z3tt said:

Well see the issue would still persist in someways. A possible reason why you experience updates going so slow during patches can be because of other players downloading it at the same. This would lead to an overwhelming amount of traffic on their update servers; furthermore, apply this to the site then, the site for some people would become extremely unresponsive and not function properly due to traffic.

Eh true, i think i may have overlooked the traffic it would cause on the site as well

Just now, Skinner1818 said:

Ouch. That is painful. How long did it take you down download the game in the first place? 

well the download was through steam so it wasn't bad, only took me a few hours just like my usual stuff.

Oh and by the way i meant to say 1-10kb/s is my average :( 1 more than 10 actually 

Without knowing your setup, I'm going to guess it's probably your computer. For one make sure you don't have any garbage anti virus software slowing you down or bloatware crap. My old computer had a similar issue, would download other stuff fine but when it came to warframe it would take forever, not as long as you are experiencing but still longer than it should. I recently build a new computer and with the same internet speed as before downloaded the entire game(something like 14gb) in less than 30 mins. 

21 minutes ago, Acebaur said:

Without knowing your setup, I'm going to guess it's probably your computer. For one make sure you don't have any garbage anti virus software slowing you down or bloatware crap. My old computer had a similar issue, would download other stuff fine but when it came to warframe it would take forever, not as long as you are experiencing but still longer than it should. I recently build a new computer and with the same internet speed as before downloaded the entire game(something like 14gb) in less than 30 mins. 

Nope, no bloatware or anything like that . I think its just there servers not handling the amount of people downloading

The one problem with having a manual update feature is that it would cause a whole host of problems for DE in that they would have to have servers for every version of the game that would be released from now on.

I understand that it can take a long time to download some of the updates due to their size, however looking at it from DE’s perspective it makes a lot more sense to keep everyone on the same page to keep things fair, not least through server costs but so that any exploits that may be present in the game cannot be continued to be exploited.