The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Run This Game In 32 Bit Even If You Have 64 Bit...

Afroman12

Question

Ok so I have a 64 bit OS so naturally it would mean that 64 bit is better right?

Wrong.

Most gaming programmers even today are comfortable with programming for 32 bit. I noticed a HUGE increase in performance once I switched back to 32 bit. So maybe DE is no different than the average programmer these days?

I went from my GPU usage being down to 20 to 30 with only FPS at 40 to 70 to 90% GPU usage with FPS at 130 to 180 (plenty of room there). So if you're using 64 bit... turn it off. For better performance.

Cool thanks, will see if this makes a difference later.

For those who are wondering how to do this if you click the gear settings icon on the top right when running the launcher the option to untick 64 bit is there.

@OP:

What are your system specs? I'm curious - I'd expect the game to run better in 32 bit mode if your hardware is more... mid-rangey I suppose.

Does anyone know what the 32-bit mode really does? Only uses 3 GB of RAM?

Edited by Tulzscha

Ok so I have a 64 bit OS so naturally it would mean that 64 bit is better right?

Wrong.

Most gaming programmers even today are comfortable with programming for 32 bit. I noticed a HUGE increase in performance once I switched back to 32 bit. So maybe DE is no different than the average programmer these days?

I went from my GPU usage being down to 20 to 30 with only FPS at 40 to 70 to 90% GPU usage with FPS at 130 to 180 (plenty of room there). So if you're using 64 bit... turn it off. For better performance.

How do you change it back :3

@OP:

What are your system specs? I'm curious - I'd expect the game to run better in 32 bit mode if your hardware is more... mid-rangey I suppose.

Does anyone know what the 32-bit mode really does? Only uses 3 GB of RAM?

My Mini ITX Specs: i7-3770K / GTX 670 / 16 GBs 1600 RAM

My ATX Specs: FX-8350 / GTX 660 Ti / 16 GBs 1600 RAM

32 Bit has a RAM capability max of 16 GBs (again depending on OS I think XP can reach 16?) where 64 bit has a capability max of an infinite range (motherboard and OS are your limiter think windows 7 only goes to 16 GBs on Home and 192 on Ultimate.)

Edited by BakaGamer

My Mini ITX Specs: i7-3770K / GTX 670 / 16 GBs 1600 RAM

My ATX Specs: FX-8350 / GTX 660 Ti / 16 GBs 1600 RAM

32 Bit has a RAM capability max of 16 GBs where 64 bit has a capability max of an infinite range (motherboard is your real limiter)

Wrong. 32-bit only uses up to 3.2GB if your RAM. 64-bit description of yours is also partially wrong. It's limited on your own RAM's amount (mobo has no RAM pre-installed into the board itself).

Edited by matrixEXO

Wrong. 32-bit only uses up to 3.2GB if your RAM. 64-bit description of yours is also partially wrong. It's limited on your own RAM's amount (mobo has no RAM pre-installed into the board itself).

Huh I always thought XP could reach 16 GBs on 32 bit... oh well. I wonder what Windows 8's ram limit is... I'm currently using Windows 7 Ultimate but hey curiosity.

Oh I found it... 128 GBs on 64. Wow... that's... wow. Only for 60 dollars and you get such a large improvement on capability on RAM?

Edited by BakaGamer

Huh I always thought XP could reach 16 GBs on 32 bit... oh well. I wonder what Windows 8's ram limit is... I'm currently using Windows 7 Ultimate but hey curiosity.

Oh I found it... 128 GBs on 64. Wow... that's... wow. Only for 60 dollars and you get such a large improvement on capability on RAM?

You would't be able to use up all of that ram even if you ran 5 most demanding games out there so why bother ? anything beyond 16 gb is a waste unless you do some serious video editing, 8 gb is a good middle ground the main thing you should be considering haveing the latest and best are the processor and video card, and of course a good cooler to keep em chill.

Edited by ZWarhammer

So much misleading and completely incorrect information in this thread...

32-bit

A 32-bit OS can address up to 4GB of Ram. However, the system uses some of those memory address for hardware such as the graphics card and the amount of RAM left accessible depends on your system.

E.g. If your graphics card has 1GB of VRAM (Video RAM), then the OS will need to address that, which in turn reduces the amount of RAM that can be addressed. So if your 32-bit system has 4GB of RAM, only 3GB would be mapped and usable (this would also be reduced by other hardware for audio, network etc.).

The reason for this limit is that you only have 32 bits. Each bit can only have one of two values, '0' or '1'. So a 1-bit system could only have two possible values, and a 2-bit system could have 4 possible values '00', '01', '10', '11'. 

Every bit doubles the amount of possible values, as such, a 32-bit system can have 2^32 possible values (Which is ~4GB).

64-bit

Using the same maths from my previous statement, we can deduce that, 64-bit system, in theory, can assign 2^64 addresses (~16EB (exabytes)). However in practice, due to hardware limitations and software requirements this is not quite the case.

The actual maximum supported RAM depends on the OS and the version of it. The below link contains the memory limits for multiple versions of Windows (if anyone is still reading this and actually cares).

Memory Limits for Windows Releases (Windows)

RAM Use

There are many uses to having more than 16GB or even 100GB of RAM, but not for the majority. Opening very large files in applications such as Photoshop can easily utilise this much RAM.

Some servers use terabytes of RAM that allows them to run multiple virtual machines for example.

noticed this too .. while i'm on 64 bit, running the game in 32 bit gave me FPS boost even with local reflection, anti aliasing and DOF/Mobo on, and even physX. the downside is for some reason the steam overlay stopped working while i'm on 32 bit ....

32 bit mode server OS's use a paged mode of accessing memory, and can in fact, address more than 4 gb of ram (similar to accessing memory in old school 16 bit programming). However, any program can only address 4 gb of ram less however much memory is reserved for the OS.

In some cases, 32 bit mode reduces memory usage because memory pointers take 1/2 the space of 64 bit pointers.

64-bit

Using the same maths from my previous statement, we can deduce that, 64-bit system, in theory, can assign 2^64 addresses (~16EB (exabytes)). However in practice, due to hardware limitations and software requirements this is not quite the case.

The actual maximum supported RAM depends on the OS and the version of it. The below link contains the memory limits for multiple versions of Windows (if anyone is still reading this and actually cares).

Memory Limits for Windows Releases (Windows)

it's not simply the artificial limitations microsoft uses to differentiate their products.

64 Bit CPUs (at least the x86 variants), don't really have 64 address bits. just 48 (only 40 with older 64bit chips), which still ends up being a lot of potential ram. 40bit=1TB, 48Bit=256TB. the 64 bits mostly refer to widened registers.

another hardware limitation, for regular desktops anyway, is that there are no dimms that can hold that much chips and motherboards don't have enough slots to compensate for that. the largest dimms atm carry 32GB per module, and those are for server hardware only. regular desktop dimms carry max 16GB per module...do the math yourselves :)

32 bit mode server OS's use a paged mode of accessing memory, and can in fact, address more than 4 gb of ram (similar to accessing memory in old school 16 bit programming). However, any program can only address 4 gb of ram less however much memory is reserved for the OS.

true, with PAE a 32 Bit OS can adress more than 4GB, but it is slow as hell and thus pretty useless for games.

also, 32 Bit windows limits applications to 2GB (well, actually it's not windows, but the need to stay compatible with the 386 architecture of old) except the developer compiles his application with the "large adress aware flag" and the user tells windows to ommit that limit explicitly.

*smart-&#! mode off* ;)

Edited by gorg_graggel

And for the people running it though steam, the steam overlay only works on the 32 bit version.

Though, and I'm probably completely mad, I swear the 64bit version looks sharper

My Steam overlay works on both 32 bit and 64 bit game modes (and continues to track hours played correctly).

As for the "sharper" graphics you might be right, I noticed that the Latron Prime weapon model in-game particularly when zoomed-in looks a smidge better in 64 bit compared to 32 bit. Or I could just be imagining it...

And for the people running it though steam, the steam overlay only works on the 32 bit version.

Though, and I'm probably completely mad, I swear the 64bit version looks sharper

mine works only for 64 bit ...

That's the exponential power of bits for you.

Just you wait until we get decent trinary/ternary computers working. Or quantum computers. We've only just discovered how to manipulate a single variable on an atomic level, but the possibilities are endless.

Edited by Azure_Kyte

My Steam overlay works on both 32 bit and 64 bit game modes (and continues to track hours played correctly).

As for the "sharper" graphics you might be right, I noticed that the Latron Prime weapon model in-game particularly when zoomed-in looks a smidge better in 64 bit compared to 32 bit. Or I could just be imagining it...

The steam overlay works for you in 64 bit?  I wonder if it is a compatibility issue with a amd 6970, or dual monitors or something else odd with my configuration.  Guess I'll try to use the overlay again tonight and see if it suddenly works.

The steam overlay works for you in 64 bit?  I wonder if it is a compatibility issue with a amd 6970, or dual monitors or something else odd with my configuration.  Guess I'll try to use the overlay again tonight and see if it suddenly works.

I'm running dual monitors on 64-bit Windows 8 and, oddly enough, the layout works approximately half of the time I play. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I guess it has something to do with my current background programs or something.