Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Improving Blocking Through Modifying Stamina Consumption

BlueIX

Hello everyone in the Warframe Community and Digital Extremes!

I'm not sure if this has been asked in the past, but I've noticed  that blocking is either under-utilized or completely unused by players when playing Warframe. I've tried using it myself and thought that it was severely under-powered but seriously had some of the coolest blocking animations I've seen for deflecting bullets and reducing damage. I've tried searching through the forums to see if anyone suggested improvements to blocking, but I haven't really found a good answer as some wanted to change some of the game mechanics drastically.

I believe the source of my complaint about blocking is mainly the stamina consumption. Just simply standing still and holding the block button drains your stamina rapidly, which I find unbelievable as you can use very little stamina slicing armored Grineers to bits and pieces.

Below, I sort of broke down my complaint and my suggestions to make blocking be utilized more in the game.

Complaint:

- Stamina decreases just as fast as sprinting when blocking, even while standing still and just simply holding the block button!

Suggestion:

- Stamina should only decrease when the player is attacked while blocking. 

- The rate stamina decreases while blocking should vary based on the damage done to the player.

- To keep players from blocking constantly is to stave off stamina regeneration when holding the block button.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments, and opinions are welcome!

PS: The blocking animations make me feel like a  real space ninja when I deflect oncoming bullets with my dual swords!  :P

Below, I sort of broke down my complaint and my suggestions to make blocking be utilized more in the game.

Complaint:

- Stamina decreases just as fast as sprinting when blocking, even while standing still and just simply holding the block button!

Suggestion:

- The rate stamina decreases while blocking should vary based on the damage done to the player.

- To keep players from blocking constantly is to stave off stamina regeneration when holding the block button.

PS: The blocking animations make me feel like a  real space ninja when I deflect oncoming bullets with my dual swords!  :P

There are other problems with blocking than stamina...

A real samurai can cut a flying BB gun pellet with his sword:

But level 30 Tenno cannot block lvl 2 Graineers melee attacks (keep your eyes on top right corner):

Q: So who you gonna call?

A: Chuck Norris!

I never use blocking. Manoeuvring out of enemy range is more efficient.

I think that was the reason for the post... blocking isnt very effecient and most people never use it. He's suggesting a way to improve it to make it more viable for players to use... >.>;;

There are other problems with blocking than stamina...

A real samurai can cut a flying BB gun pellet with his sword:

But level 30 Tenno cannot block lvl 2 Graineers melee attacks (keep your eyes on top right corner):

Q: So who you gonna call?

A: Chuck Norris!

All blocking does currently is reduce damage by like 50% or something, only really useful for boss attacks you dont think your going to avoid. I could be wrong though, maybe it lets you not get knocked down by area of affect attacks they like doing to stun lock ya with, like the fusion moa or the grineer commanders? If not, it should.

I think that was the reason for the post... blocking isnt very effecient and most people never use it. He's suggesting a way to improve it to make it more viable for players to use... >.>;;

Lets hope they make some changes than =^.^=

All blocking does currently is reduce damage by like 50% or something, only really useful for boss attacks you dont think your going to avoid. I could be wrong though, maybe it lets you not get knocked down by area of affect attacks they like doing to stun lock ya with, like the fusion moa or the grineer commanders? If not, it should.

I did some testing and it definitely does not block area of effect attacks (in this particular case: Shockwave MOA), so I cannot see why I should use the blocking function in the first place.

If 50% damage reduction is true -- usually the damage affects to my regenerable shields and in worst case scenario, my health; I cannot see difference when taking full or reduced damage: either way I take damage. I rather manoeuvre the enemy attacks avoiding the damage rather than stand put and hold the block button down and take damage. So some kind of changes are definitely needed  if you want to make the blocking function worthwhile :)

For me -- at the current state of the game it's plain eye candy thingy =^.^=

Edited by carnaga

Yes I understand that you can out-maneuver the enemy as I love to do it and do it often! I'm not saying that blocking should replace the ninja dodges and stuff, but I'm saying it should be more of a situational use like regular bullets and melee swipes from the enemy.

I suppose what I'm trying to say specifically is that I wanted to see blocking to be more viable for normal attacks done by enemies rather than special attacks that certain enemy types can do (i.e. moa's shock waves, shield grineer's shield bash and the ancient's punching attack). Those attacks are easily within the players skillset to dodge and outmaneuver those attacks. Having blocking as a way to nullify those attacks would defeat the purpose of those attacks.

For example, I notice that many of the grineers/corpus have impeccable aim when on higher levels using weapons with high rates of fire like the Grakata. Blocking could reduce or block damage caused by bullets temporarily and give the player enough time to find cover rather than trying to outrun bullets as stamina decreases.

I apologize for not being clearer about what I wanted to see, but I enjoy seeing you guys' input!

That samurai video was awesome!

Edited by BlueIX

I never block. I often forget there is even the option to block because I never use it. It's useless. It is much easier and less costly to rush the enemy and just kill them and be done with it. I might actually use block if it were useful at all.

Edited by RyojinOrion

Yes indeed, I was going to start a topic but I decided to post here :

Blocking is useless ATM. Blocking 1 or 2 enemies is already difficult and the stamina used is WAY too much.

I agree with OPs suggestion but I have something else in mind :

* Blocking does not cost stamina while blocking, but blocks 90%-100% of the bullets,

* Consumes Stamina while blocking Meele hits, maybe 5% or 10% per hit.

That would be awesome and balanced, I dont see any reason to exploit the blocking, you cant attack, its just a way to get closer to the enemy or to avoid attacks in order to do... something else. There will be 3 or 10 more enemies anyways, noone can stay blocking an enemy all the time.

And before someone says that this could be exploitable for bosses "Someone can tank the boss, blocking all the DMG", well no, thats why I wrote 90%-100% of the bullets (Which I think is reasonable) or maybe the chances could be lower for the boss 60% is a good number I guess.

If any dev reads this thread please reply to our ideas, I think this feature is pretty awesome, the animations are going to the trash because almost nobody uses blocking and I am sure more people could even join because "YOU CAN BLOCK BULLETS IN THAT GAME! OMG!"

Edited by AbathurX

Hello everyone in the Warframe Community and Digital Extremes!

I'm not sure if this has been asked in the past, but I've noticed  that blocking is either under-utilized or completely unused by players when playing Warframe. I've tried using it myself and thought that it was severely under-powered but seriously had some of the coolest blocking animations I've seen for deflecting bullets and reducing damage. I've tried searching through the forums to see if anyone suggested improvements to blocking, but I haven't really found a good answer as some wanted to change some of the game mechanics drastically.

I believe the source of my complaint about blocking is mainly the stamina consumption. Just simply standing still and holding the block button drains your stamina rapidly, which I find unbelievable as you can use very little stamina slicing armored Grineers to bits and pieces.

Complaint:

Suggestion:

I agree with the OP, although "stave off stamina regen" should occur only when a tenno depletes all their stamina using the Block action.

I don't think stamina regen should be delayed for partial use of stamina with Block or when depleting stamina from running.