Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Skill/energy Overhaul - Alternate Way For [1]

LazerusKI

based on this post here

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/38594-energy-overhaul-introducing-a-new-system/?p=671913

as i said, i dont like the downtime mechanic, because it would not fit into the game-system.

It would bring new problems with it. It would not prevent you from spamming, instead it would give you the ability to camp.

But i have to agree that some skills are highly unused.

To name only a few:

Volt Schock

Ember Fireball

Saryn Venom, the Poison Weapon thing

mostly the [1] skills, i think each frame has one of these skills.

Most of the players are using [4] instead. why should i waste 25 energy to damage one enemy, if i can spend 100 energy to kill like 10 of them?

So, i thought about the Solar-System.

As a complete overhaul it would bring too many new problems.

But...it could be used to make some skills more usefull, without rebalancing them in damage, range or cost.

Volt was meant to be an "alternate way to guns", but...realy...he isnt.

What would be, if these skills would not be affected by the regular energy, instead of a "Downtime system" like it is described in the "Solar-System"?

Like...cast Schock. wait a few seconds, cast again?

Most of them are not even close as strong as a regular ranged weapon, so why not?

The rest of the skills would still be affected by the Orb-System, its not broken, its just RNG.

As i said, i had rounds where i had found only 3 Orbs. So no Uber for me. If Orbs would Despawn after a short time (i thought they do), it would also remove the "run back, collect energy, cast again" problem that he described in his Topic.

It could also bring a few new mods.

Downtime Reduction for these Skills, so that you can play a caster. (Uncommon)

Nullify: 10% Chance that your [1] costs no Energy. (Rare)

It is true that they are (or seem to be) 'weaker' and are more situational, than the ultimates, but if they are unused then only because players do not want to use them (or do not know how). I, for example, am very found of Embers' Fireball and use it a lot to block passages and corridors or just to burn what is moving outside the reach of my sword. 

Other [1] skills I use very effectively and successfully are:

Tesla (Vauban), Mind Control (Nxy), Sonic Boom (Banshee), Slash Dash (Excalibur), Decoy (Loki). 

On the other hand, not to say that some of the [1] skills might need to be adjusted (to other skills or enemies or ...) is another topic and will be addressed as the game progresses. 

And for the energy: use the energy siphon artifact and mods to increase your energy pool and to make your skills more efficient when you are using them.

It is an interesting idea though, just to use "down time" for the [1] skills, but not necessary in my opinion.

yep, its not necessary in my opinion too.

but because of the "Solar-Energy" hype i wanted to point it out.

Vauban is fine (if you dont look at all his bugs)

Nyx real one should be the Psychic Bolt

but yes, some frames are fine, but not all of them.

most of the "underpowered" skill can be fixed with other reworks. look at Ash´ Shuriken for example, they are very powerfull now and worth the energy.

Edited by LazerusKI

sure, cooldown or downtime would break the flow, thats what i said^^

you mean like energy syphon?

or even better?

mhhh...no

high energy regen gives you the ability to camp.

just hide, take cover, wait...then spam your 4.

the orb system in its current form is fine, it fits for this game, either this or some skills just need some tweaking.

Edited by LazerusKI

The one thing that sucks about the orb system is it makes it so there is no alternaitve to gun-play, becuase gun-play you can rely on and you can't really rely on using skills whenever you want. This needs to have the two options, one for gun-play and another for skill-use, kind of like how Mass Effect 2/3 had the two options, you could build your character to either be all about guns and weapon damage or you could build it to be about the ability powers. I mean, I know there are ways in Warframe to use skills more late game when you get the mods for it and etc, but this game needs skill-use-play as an option from start to fininsh if you want it. Not only would skill-use from the get-go make things more fun and interesting, but it would also help accentuate the themes of each class.

When I started playing this I played Mag to start and I was frustrated by the fact that her skills felt pretty pointless most of the time. I never needed Bullet Attractor because it's just more of a crutch for when you get too lazy to aim, and Polarize costed too much for what little it achieved, but Pull could already be spammed enough to be kinda satisfying, and Crush was powerful enough that not being able to use it a whole bunch due to energy consumption was ok. All these abilities in Mag's case would be far better and way more cool to be able to use whenever you wanted except for Crush because Crush would have been too powerful in that case. Being able to use Bullet Attractor more often on little guys would be nice because that's part of playing the class, being able to do that kinda stuff, and that's one of the things that would make it cool.

I think it would be a good idea for the developers to play around with different skill-use mechanics that allow the skills to be used more often so we can get more of a themed feel for the warframe we chose rather than have to do the same gun-play all the time. That being said, balance will probably be an issue with being able to spam/use abilities more often, so changes might be easier said than done.

Edited by Avengernaut