Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wow (Vanilla)

(PSN)xProjectDaylenx

Hello Fellow Tenno

I've been thinking for awhile and doing research for time to time on wow (vanilla) on videos, forums of why wow (vanilla) was so great and fun to play back then. I have played wow from cataclysm ( not Mist of Pandaria.) and Warlords of Draenor.What made Wow special was the lore and the exploration that peeked my interest and loved the game for that. but i really want to experience the vanilla version that i heard it was difficult but so rewarding in the end.

If there is anyone have played wow before (vanilla and current expansion)or still playing it now. please post in the thread i like to hear stories or experiences in wow.

Thank you for your time reading my thread tenno.

I joined during WoTLK, and I've been around in around til the middle of Mist of Pandaria.

I must say, even back in WoTLK when I look at Vanilla contents I can't believe people are into that. 

Different people have different perspectives, loads of people hammered WoW during MoP, but I think it is one of the most beautiful expansion I've seen. When you walk around Pandaria and zoom in and out for the details they put into the game, it's just amazing. They make those small and tiny cosmetics at the background with HD and they actually model the thing with details instead of the old way of draw a 2D image that looks like 3D object and put it there. 

I see Warcraft as a game improved so well that it is becoming better and better everyday.

I think why people ranting and want their Vanilla WoW back is due to the fact that it's a totally different game. Back in the day questing and leveling IS the game. Now it is no longer the case.

Just the ability system alone they jumped twice. First we have the same ability with 20 levels of it, you need to choose and balance out to prevent yourself consuming too much mana while still performing the best you can. They said F*** it and jumped into 1 ability scales with your level. Then we have the talent tree jump, it jumped into the current ones where you no longer pick the talents you want and choose 1 out of the 3 options you are provided. 

I personally like the 1 ability and scale with your level, but disliked the idea of the new talent tree which totally killed my freedom of choice where I can build my character the most unique way. 

Then we have the trans armor thing, basically everyone can wear whatever they pleases, just have to match the same class of armor. People complain about this ruining new designs and ruining getting better and cooler gear. Which I disagree simply due to giving me more options to choose my own stuffs. 

I'm a simple person I like to have more option and control over my character as long as it ain't some crazy and unnecessary choices like the 20 levels of the same ability as 20 different abilities. That's not my thing. 

Overall I think the game is heading towards a more organized and simplified direction in the cost of player freedom. Which is also a direction that's new user friendly, the whole point of their changes are to focus on getting new players, nothing more.  The stupid thing about this move is that Blizzard isn't developing the game at a player stand point, they aren't listening to anyone. They also seem like they don't know who their customers are. People who play WoW, at least from the people I've been playing with and those that I know are @(*()$ HARDCORE @&#(&*@#$#s. Making the game a little more complex is absolutely no problem to their player base, they are focusing so much on bringing new players to game that they #*($%%@ the old players so hard, because Blizzard believe they have the perfect weed for their veteran players so they can F*** them however they want, but that's really isn't the case. Other games are stepping up and kicking their asses, you look at SWTOR their quality improved dramatically, and then there are new gen games are coming to take a piece out of their pie. Look at how many unhappy players jump ship to GW2 just to say F*** you WoW.

I think the best lesson here is look at WoW and look at Warframe. 

WoW focus so hard to acquire new players and they #*($%%@ the veterans so hard leading millions of player base lost.

WoW's changes are due to greed, they know any new customers acquired are more cha-ching in their pocket, and they can't get away from the curse of money.

Warframe focus so hard to keep their existing players, they don't fix their issues of confusing new players until U19

Warframe WILL NOT survive if it wasn't for their loyal customers during their initial launch and of course their founders, so they have a culture of listen and respect their loyal veterans. Which to this day, they still value their veterans above anything. The changes to revamp new player experience, I would guess simply due to they see the red light flashing saying that the community will die off if they don't do something to get new players more likely to stay. 

They both headed to the extreme, and Warframe is now stepping up and fixing its issues, Warcraft however I don't see anything promised in Legion addresses the quited veteran player's concerns. We will see what happen with Warframe in the next 5 years and what will happen to WoW in the next 5 years.

Please don't get me wrong, I love WoW and their new expansions, but I also know and see the anger of their veterans. I can't take either side, people first sign up for vanilla, but then they changed so much (in my opinion in a good way) that it's no longer something people originally sign up for. THAT is the issue they never addressed but make it bigger on each expansion.

@Valteria. thank you for replying to my thread. I read your post (yesterday sorry i didn't reply much sooner). I agree on the things you said such as transmog and blizzard not replying to their veteran players that put so much time (sweat and tears) in the game for many years and not listening to them. which is optional for a player to replace a certain gear's look to different one that you preferred. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever. but i have noticed and sometimes people discussed this certain topic i keep hearing from people is that flying mounts kind of ruined the immersion to the world. I know flying mounts came with the burning crusade expansion( which i'm planning on playing that expansion on a private server). if blizzard can find some way (hope and cross my fingers) to create a server from previous expansions such as vanilla, Burning crusade and Wraith of the Lich King so new players can experience those expansion when they were released.

I'm just gonna make it quick.

Played wow from closed beta until 2 weeks before TBC (got burned out, but didn't dislike the game), came back to the game 5 months before WotLK (all praise the mighty Ulduar) and played until the end of Cataclysm (what a devolving mess). tried MoP for like 2 months and completely gave up on the game.

for me, the thing I liked the most in the old WoW was that you were way more involved in the world, sure it was a featureless and had problems, but once you did something or made your way to a dungeon it felt like you worked for it. when I last played the game people were just sitting on random parts of the map, leveling with dungeon finder, it's so damn un-involved now that they are killing their own world.

cross realm instancing or whatever it's called is the worst peace of trash to have ever made it to the game, a desperate attempt on trying to make the world look like it's still alive, yuck, such a shame.

ah well... this should speak more than any words.

I'd go in to more detail, but I'll have to get some more free time to wright more about it.

Edited by Ahcruna

I don't think there is much more to add to Valteria's post. It really is a different game by now.

I haven't played in Vanilla but started in the middle of Burning Crusade and back then the game was soooo much more challenging while leveling. (and leveling took longer, but that's another story)
My partner and I loved to try out doing things together that usually needed a whole group. I remember going in a dungeon with him (The Deadmines with our two rogues lol) and although we've both been level 30 we never got past the first boss. (maybe we've been a bit noobish too, who knows xD) By now it's just hilarious... You get there with level 15 and can solo the dungeon on that level already when you know what you're doing.

But at the same time they improved a lot when it comes to quests and storytelling, especially since MoP. The lore you can experience is incredible and for me it's still one of the best games for roleplaying, if you're into that.

I still miss the old times though...

Shortly after the dungeon finder was introduced we used to drag our five people groups through the upper blackrock spire that was still a dungeon for 10 people at that time. xD That doesn't even work anymore now since they blocked the path for the upper spire when you get to the lower spire through the dungeon finder...

What I noticed is that people are less open to do "longer" runs today. People even hug walls just to evade one tiny group of enemies that would need a minute or less to defeat... oO Not to mention that with the dungeon finder it's easier to get groups and harder to get decent groups at the same time. No hello or bye, no walking to the dungeon entrance and waiting for people or teleporting them over to your location. Who does even remember that the warlock can summon group members nowadays? :/

Anyway, I don't think that "vanilla" is as good as everyone states, since that also was the time when the classes where a little... less interesting. Take paladins for example. I've heard they've been near useless apart from blessing^^
My favorite time was BC and WotLK. I love Northrend, it's so beatiful! :D

• 2 weeks later...