The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Possible New "defense" Types; Some Ideas, Looking For More.

Aizeol

So right now, there are only two types of defense missions.

Endless Defense: The squad defends either a core or a cryopod in a centralized location while waves of enemies try and "Destroy the thing!" Pretty simple in design, and a lot of the challenge comes from enemies spawning from multiple angles.

Mobile Defense: The squad defends a terminal after transporting a device from the initial spawn to the terminal itself. This mission has an actual beginning and an end. The squad moves from one area, to another, and then to the extraction.

My idea(s):

Void Defense: The squad starts in front of a portal to the void. The goal is to keep the enemy faction from breaching into a realm in the void that contains a significant macguffin (artifact, sleeping frame, Banana Prime, etc.). The environment is more of a corridor, but the enemies act a lot more like waves and actively advance towards the portal instead of spawning and slowly moving forward. The goal of the enemy is to set up a device that will allow them to breach the portal, and then go through the portal.

There are a couple "phases" although the defense has no actual end.

-Phase 1: The portal works for the Tenno, but not the enemy faction since the faction has not set up and activated their device. The enemy rush forward trying to protect "engineer" type enemies whose purpose is to set up a device to breach the void. This will have a lot of low level enemies, but a significant amount of mobs that are design to distract and manipulate the players away from the entrance so the engineers have a chance to set up the device.

-Phase 2: The device has been set up and is either warming up, or has opened the portal for the enemy faction. Now the faction spawns even more mobs per wave, but most are low level or basic mobs. The goal is to get as many mobs through the portal as possible to either try and get the macguffin, banana prime, whatever or destroy it. Now the part needs to work on both destroying the device that has been set up and clearing the enemies out of the void.

The significant thing is that the mission can move between the phases. When the device is active, the mission is in phase 2, and when it's not it's phase 1.

The goal is to keep the macguffin out of the enemy's hands or alive for as long as possible.

I'm not quite sure if a corridor map with enemies advancing wouldn't be too much of an exp grinder map on the higher levels (but to be fair other def maps are already kinda easy exp and kinda like that).

Also I'm not quite sure if the enemy AI could handle "advancing toward the portal". I mean for most people that are hosting games it already seems like their computers are burning when 5 enemies appear (since they have to play max graphics and have 50 other programs open in the background) so it would possibly cause even more lag to improve AI like that?

I don't see a single thing wrong with this idea, so how would this mission be implemented? As a void key, I'd suppose?

My hope is that void key wouldn't be used because the actual void section of the mission would consist of one, maybe two rooms. The point is more to have a scenario of keeping the enemy out. Perhaps void keys could have a higher chance of being rewarded and endless defense can have a lower chance than it does now?

Just an idea.

I'm not quite sure if a corridor map with enemies advancing wouldn't be too much of an exp grinder map on the higher levels (but to be fair other def maps are already kinda easy exp and kinda like that). Also I'm not quite sure if the enemy AI could handle "advancing toward the portal". I mean for most people that are hosting games it already seems like their computers are burning when 5 enemies appear (since they have to play max graphics and have 50 other programs open in the background) so it would possibly cause even more lag to improve AI like that?

True, but hopefully it wouldn't be too different than most higher level defense missions currently. The only real significant difference would be that the enemies would break from cover more often and try and charge for the portal instead of trying to shoot at the players. For grineer this would probably mean more shield lancers would be providing moving cover. I'm not sure what the corpus would do, but I'm sure moas would be involved.

Again, wouldn't really be improving the AI as changing its objective. Run and shoot instead of stand and shoot.

Edited by Aizeol

A corridor like, never ending story until we lose with no breaks?

It will be a mindless mayem to me... i'd rather prefer the Tower Type one...

I'll make a topic with a couple of ideas about game mods (not my creations tbh, taken from other games)

Edited by Phoenix86