The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Ray the Light Projection Warframe

ZeroLiger

DISCLAIMER: All the pics on this post have been siphoned from google to clearly evoke the feeling of my Warframe and were made by thier respective owners. Will have self made concept art soon ;)

Overview:

Ray is a highly mobile, sustained damage caster frame who wields the powers of Light energy to halt the advances of his foes and erase them off the plain of existence. Ray is a glass cannon whose defenses are limited and goes energy hungry quite easily.

=========================================

Role: Mid - Long Range Damage Caster, Mild Utility

Appearance:

Ray is a tall and slender frame (like Ash's height but thinner). He has ribbon like belts attached to his forearms, a magnifying glass-like ornament on his chest, his neck is incased in a riffled designed rubber, he has what appears to be radiator vents located where his obliques would be and two horn-like objects sticking out the back of his head similar to automobile mufflers.

Lotus Quote:

This is ray, the luminous, the dazzling. Ray is a cleansing beacon of white light, just don't let your gaze linger into him tenno.

Special:

Ray scorches the ground with his offensive abilities. Steam emits from his suit during cast times.

Lore: Uhh... Unplanned product of Volt and Ember?? Lol xD

=========================================

Base Stats:

115 Health (345)

115 Shield (345)

115 Armor

125 Power (187.5)

Sprint Speed 1.1

Polarities: 2 D, 1 Dash

Aura: D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heat Flashes

-20% Enemy Accuracy against Ray. Halved for allies (-10%)

Magnification Rite

Because of the properties of Light energy, the ranges of several of Ray's abilities partially scale with Bonus Power Strength.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1. Light Spear (Cost 25 Energy) (Range 40m) (Width: 0.35m)

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_filename_640

Ray channels for 1.25 seconds before discharging a beam of light in target direction. This beam has a base punchthrough of 3.0 (4 target hit) half of this (1.5) is added to your primary weapons. Punch-through mods increase Light Spear's punch through but the weapon buff remains (1.5). Beam Damage 100/135/170/25030% Puncture damage, 70% Radiation damage with a 60% Heat status proc chance per target.

Ray cannot move while channeling but can change the direction of the beam.

Beam width is affected by Power Strength. Scales with 100% Bonus Power Strength.

Width Scaling:

Pwr Str. ---------- Beam Width

100% ---------------- 0.35m

150% ---------------- 0.52m

200% ---------------- 0.7m

299% ---------------- 1.05m

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2. Dome (Cost 50 Energy) (Cast Range: 30m) (Dome Radius: 3.25m) (Cast Delay: 0.5 secs)

dome.5_8.3v.png

Ray conjures a transparent dome of light trapping enemies inside. Shooting Light Spear into the dome bounces Light Spear off the inner walls of Dome up to a number of  4/4/5/5 times at a speed of bounces per second. Number of bounces scale both Power Strength and Duration (Additively, so 200% Power strength and 200% duration is 400% bounce count) times 4 multiplier. Equalling 16/16/20/20 bounces in total) Rounded off to nearest whole number.

These bounces damage all enemies within the Dome dealing 30% of Light Spear's initial damage per bounce but increasing by 3% every bounce beyond the first capping at a 15% damage increase. (This percentage is affected by power strength). Dome lasts 4/5/6/8 seconds then explodes dealing 50/75/100/175 +20% of all the damage dealt within it as Blast Damage.

The 20% does not scale with Power Strength but the base damage does.

The Dome shatters prematurely after harbouring 3 Light Spears whether simultaneously or subsequently.

Enemy projectiles cannot pass through it so Dome can be used as a defensive ability.

Ray can recast this ability to teleport on top of Dome.

Allies can pass through Dome walls, Ray and enemies cannot pass through Dome freely.

Casting Dome at his feet will conjure the Dome around Ray covering him like a shield.

Dome is a ground targeted ability only.

#3. Flash Leap (Cost 35 Energy) (Cast Delay: 0.2 secs)

4b739710de3a2442dce913ae920bd480871ee6ee

Ray dashes a set distance of 6/7/8/10m removing status effects from himself and dealing 50/75/100/150 Radiation damage to targets he passes through.

Distance is affected by Power Range normally but also scales with 10/15/20/25% Bonus Power Strength.

Example 200% Power strength will increase Flash Leap's range by 10/15/20/25%. Ray is untargetable when dashing and upon arrival blinds all enemies within a 2.5m radius, dealing  125/150/175/300 (40% Impact damage, 60% Radiation Damage) and gaining 10/10/15/15% Movement Speed for 3 seconds. Speed duration affected by power duration. Speed Multiplier is not affected by power strength. Finisher damage on blinded targets is increased by 15% per additional blinded target beyond the first. Capped 190% finisher damage from stunning 7 enemies.

Because Dome is a denser manifestation of Ray's energy consisting of negative charges, he can only pass through it with the assistance of Flash Leap.

Using Flash Leap to enter Dome triples the blind radius of Flash Leap.

Flash Leap Augment:

Flash Guard

Ray Generates 20% of Max shield per target he passes through. Can overshield up to 220% Max Shield. 759 Overshield max rank, unmodded.

#4. Lucent Showers (Cost 100 Energy) (7m Radius)

Ray conjures a massive wave of energy in his hand for 0.75 seconds before releasing it into the sky. After a 2 second delay showers of light energy rain down on the target location dealing 30/35/45/60 Radiation Damage at 0.25 second intervals (120/140/180/240 per second) for 4 seconds (480/560/720/960) (scaling with Power Strength and Duration). Enemies killed by Lucent Showers explode dealing 75/125/175/225 Toxin Damage in a 2.5m radius, slowing enemies hit by 30% Enemies killed by Lucent Showers also have a 15% Rare Drop chance.

Cast Time and Shower Delay are both affected by Natural Talent.

Ray cannot use weapons during cast time.

Duration scales with power duration.

All Damage scales with Power Strength.

Slow scales with Power Strength.

Both Shower and Explosion radiuses scale with Power Range and 25% Bonus Power Strength.

Lucent Showers Augment:

Haven Showers

All allies who walk within Lucent Showers' AoE are cleansed of status effects, healed by 1.5/2/2.5/3% of thier max health at 0.25 second intervals for the duration and receive -5/10/15/20% Bleedout.

The heal is doubled for targets below 30% of thier max health.

Blitz Spectrum Effect:

Whenever Lucent Showers comes in contact with Dome. The rays of light are projected off the Dome giving a Disco Ball effect. The direction of each deflected ray of light is random, has a range only limited by terrain and deals the damage Lucent Showers would do in 1.25 seconds (150), instantly per ray hit with a 100% Radiation Proc chance.

Blitz Spectrum is a combination effect achieved when Lucent Showers fall upon Dome.

Blitz Spectrum's mechanic also affects the healing rate and range of the Haven Showers augment mod.

HTB1pdhSFVXXXXaxXXXXq6xXFXXXy.jpg

Edited by ZeroLiger
Needed to clean things up.

27 minutes ago, ZeroLiger said:

#4. Scatter Shower (Cost 100 Energy)

Ray a massive wave of energy into the sky. After a 1.25 second delay showers of light energy rain down on the target location dealing 175 Radiation Damage per second for 3 seconds. Duration scales with power duration.

175 damage per second for 3 seconds is 525 damage. Excalibur's radial javelin deals 1000 damage at max rank. This is kinda weaksauce unless 175 is the starting damage and it gets better as you level up

15 hours ago, GrandMAsterDan said:

175 damage per second for 3 seconds is 525 damage. Excalibur's radial javelin deals 1000 damage at max rank. This is kinda weaksauce unless 175 is the starting damage and it gets better as you level up

Lol it is. But let me highlight a small detail you missed at the end that makes it strong. "Duration scales with Power Duration". So with 200% Power Duration the ability would last 6 seconds and do 1050 Radiation damage and it still scales with power strength soooo yah. But I have made adjustments so the damage scales per rank of #4 and also increased the base duration.

1 hour ago, ZeroLiger said:

Lol it is. But let me highlight a small detail you missed at the end that makes it strong. "Duration scales with Power Duration". So with 200% Power Duration the ability would last 6 seconds and do 1050 Radiation damage and it still scales with power strength soooo yah. But I have made adjustments so the damage scales per rank of #4 and also increased the base duration.

No that was not missed and the old version dealing 1050 damage is only marginally better than an unmodded Radial Javelin (1000 damage) which also scales off of power strength mods like most damage dealing abilities.

17 hours ago, ZeroLiger said:

#4. Lucent Shower (Cost 100 Energy)

Ray conjures a massive wave of energy in his hand for 0.75 seconds then releases into the sky. After a 1.5 second delay showers of light energy rain down on the target location dealing 35/45/60 Radiation Damage at 0.25 second intervals (140/180/240 per second) for 4 seconds (560/720/960) . Duration scales with power duration.

Looking at the edits, new version is definitely better, but its still not selling me on the idea. On one hand, modding for 200% duration would extend the duration to 8 seconds and bump the total damage to 1920 radiation damage, which can then be multiplied by power strength mods. This is a significant amount of damage almost equal to Ash's Bladestorm (not counting damage typing or the fact that Ash's finisher damage ignores armor and shields).

But on the other hand, as it stands, it just deals damage over time. Most ultimates either have something that makes them really unique or provides support/utility/crowd control. Maybe add a radiation and/or heat proc chance (bonus: heat procs would deal additional damage and hold enemies in place to take the full damage of this ability) or maybe add some sort of interaction with the other abilities. Everything else seems quite detailed and unique - I especially like the Dome and Light Spear interaction - so it feels kinda odd that this ability just deals damage.

Also what is the AoE range of Lucent Shower?

33 minutes ago, GrandMAsterDan said:

No that was not missed and the old version dealing 1050 damage is only marginally better than an unmodded Radial Javelin (1000 damage) which also scales off of power strength mods like most damage dealing abilities.

Looking at the edits, new version is definitely better, but its still not selling me on the idea. On one hand, modding for 200% duration would extend the duration to 8 seconds and bump the total damage to 1920 radiation damage, which can then be multiplied by power strength mods. This is a significant amount of damage almost equal to Ash's Bladestorm (not counting damage typing or the fact that Ash's finisher damage ignores armor and shields).

But on the other hand, as it stands, it just deals damage over time. Most ultimates either have something that makes them really unique or provides support/utility/crowd control. Maybe add a radiation and/or heat proc chance (bonus: heat procs would deal additional damage and hold enemies in place to take the full damage of this ability) or maybe add some sort of interaction with the other abilities. Everything else seems quite detailed and unique - I especially like the Dome and Light Spear interaction - so it feels kinda odd that this ability just deals damage.

Lucent Shower has a 7m Radius. 14m circumference so 2 and 1/3  of a Volt shield in width. Will add that in, thanks for noting. I agree, I had this really cool Idea of a Beam bouching off walls hitting targets multiple times, that was the fanstasy I wanted to bring, giving Ray some AoE outside of his ult once he combines the powers of the 2 abilities. Flash Leap came quite easy too as I know I wanted him to be a light mage with good mobility it's energy cost is 35 to balance it, It blindind targets at the end of the dash makes for a really fun mechanic that is very thematic to this frame. Popped out of my head from nowhere and just made sense for something a Light Mage to have. As for his ult I totally ran out of inspiration when I got there :T Will see if I can make it more unique, maybe a Corrosive proc? Idk. Also I changed the Tooltip on some of other the abilities.

Edited by ZeroLiger

27 minutes ago, GrandMAsterDan said:

Lol, I just realized that Lucent Shower could maybe have some synergy with Dome. What a coincidence :D

On 6/15/2016 at 1:39 PM, GrandMAsterDan said:

I've added an explosion effect like the Combustion Beam mod. Got the idea thinking about a frog bursting from high temperatures lol. Now Enemies killed by Lucent Shower explose dealing damage and slowing nearby enemies ^_^ very thematic. So when you kill the lighter targets with your ult thier explosions would deal damage to and slow the tankier targets. I made sure the explosion damage isn't much as effect would chain react after each death. Not sure weather to make it Toxin or Viral damage tho :/

I also added a corrosive proc every 2 secs as the radiation would corrode armor :3

• 2 months later...

Just a couple of thoughts come to mind here:

The prism shield sounds a bit too close to Frost's snow-globe. Maybe make it so it only refracts energy based attacks launched from the inside. If you give Ray immunity to refracted attacks even better. Suddenly the bubble becomes Ray's personal domain. Limiting the number of refracts would hurt the ability quite a bit, but if you do, why not base it on power strength, duration, or armor like Frost's?

Light is directly associated with several elemental effects such as magnetism, and radiation. Corrosion (oxidization/rust) and fire are reactions catalyzed by light. What if the area under the dome "heats up" as more attacks are refracted and simply being caught under the dome had negative effects?

It's a fun concept that I imagine would be interesting to play.