Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kamikazes - Suicidal Enemies Good Or Bad?

Uyo_Of_Osaka

In areas like the Corpus where there is a huge number of robots rushing you, it makes sense that they would blatantly risk their lives because they are machines and that's what they are programmed to do. The Infested also have the animalistic drive to murder so they would rush without regard for safety either. But biological creatures with intelligence like the Grineer and Corpus engineers more often than not like to rush the Tenno to their certain doom.

Perhaps they underestimate the Tenno and so charge them to their demise merely by accident.

Perhaps they are supremely overconfident in their abilities and so charge the Tenno looking to finish a fight quickly, and get more than they bargained for.

Or perhaps its just a very aggressive AI at work that puts enemies in range for Tenno to kill them.

I'm not bashing this concept, but I do have a few topics in mind to maybe spark a discussion. Would the Grineer or Corpus engineers be more lifelike if they cautiously took cover and fired upon the Tenno? Does it seem to some people that the Grineer and Corpus goons are just enemies to be slain, and not a force to be overcome? Would the game be better off if these guys fought more like disciplined warriors? Worse?

Let me know your thoughts.

Edited by Uyo_Of_Osaka

The infested are great at being suicidal, but that wasn't really my point. I was asking if suicidal enemies like the intelligent ones was a good thing or a bad thing. And I am referencing suicidal recklessness and not the game design aspects of enemies that commit suicide to deal damage, like the runners.

After committing genocide in warframes for a few months, i'm getting really suprised that those corpus prod crewmen charges at me.

it's like. "dude, haven't you heard of the atrocity committing hammer wielding  me?"
I'm famous for swatting you prodders!
Then i remember that i probably killed all the witness from the last mission.

As far as "taking cover" goes, they either need to take cover better or not do it at all.  As it is, they take cover and end up just becoming useless since half their body (most often 90% of their head) is showing and they're not shooting.  They're actually more dangerous out in the open because they're actively doing damage, not sticking their vulnerable parts out for the world to shoot. 

As far as the aggressiveness of enemies goes, I think that it makes sense why the ones who charge do so (shockwave moa's to shock-wave, charges to... explode? grineer saw-blades and such to smack you), but the issue is, considering they're running up in the front line, you would assume they'd be more tanky to take more damage since they're directly in harms way, which they're really not, so... yeah.  Flip side is: they charge you, they smack you, and there's nothing you can do about it since they're so strong.  Food for thought. 

As far as "taking cover" goes, they either need to take cover better or not do it at all.  As it is, they take cover and end up just becoming useless since half their body (most often 90% of their head) is showing and they're not shooting.  They're actually more dangerous out in the open because they're actively doing damage, not sticking their vulnerable parts out for the world to shoot. 

As far as the aggressiveness of enemies goes, I think that it makes sense why the ones who charge do so (shockwave moa's to shock-wave, charges to... explode? grineer saw-blades and such to smack you), but the issue is, considering they're running up in the front line, you would assume they'd be more tanky to take more damage since they're directly in harms way, which they're really not, so... yeah.  Flip side is: they charge you, they smack you, and there's nothing you can do about it since they're so strong.  Food for thought. 

You make a good point here, and I agree with what you are saying. I never thought the melee wielding goons would be so lightly armored and be the first to feel my punishment. And the guys do take cover, I hadn't thought of that. But sometimes run past you to take cover in plain sight of you. It just seems silly that they would do that.

The infested are great at being suicidal, but that wasn't really my point. I was asking if suicidal enemies like the intelligent ones was a good thing or a bad thing. And I am referencing suicidal recklessness and not the game design aspects of enemies that commit suicide to deal damage, like the runners.

It's important to remember that the Grineer are cloned by the millions daily and have combat programming shoved into their young wet grey matter, and the Corpus are brainwashed slaves of nefarious Mega-corps culled from the teeming masses of the poor and desperate.

Reckless sounds about right to me.

Edited by ValhaHazred

Enemy AI is still in the baby stages. The last real big AI boost we had was for Lech Kril. I'm sure we'll see enemies improve as the game grows more and more, but it's one of those things they're just neglecting outside of bosses for some reason right now.

Here's hoping as the older suits get worked on, enemies will be changed to adapt to the new capabilities of the Tenno and actually pose a threat. Only time will tell.

It's important to remember that the Grineer are cloned by the millions daily and have combat programming shoved into their young wet grey matter, and the Corpus are brainwashed slaves of nefarious Mega-corps culled from the teeming masses of the poor and desperate.

Reckless sounds about right to me.

That just seems like narrative was used for AI that had little tactical ability. If that is the end of the matter, then that's fine, but I assume that two types of enemies with radically different stories wouldn't produce soldiers who behaved the same way. And even though the Grineer are clones and the Corpus are bonkers doesn't mean they can't create viable soldiers, especially against a threat like the Tenno. 

I am also not trying to undermine your thoughts. I like the idea of a race that can produce soldiers across the board that have powerful implications beyond their commanders. I realize however that this would just make the game harder, but still it's fun to think about.