Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Easy way to make Channeling viable

Epsik-kun

Rock it up to 11. As simple as that.

What I mean here, is that making Channeling completely fine and viable anywhere outside of Conclave will require not only heavy balancing, but also a rework of the mechanics itself.

Channeling currently has absolutely unsustainable cost in the actual gameplay. Even if one's willing to mod for Channeling (effectively gimping their weapon potential), it won't make the ultimate difference of being able to sustain Channeling all the time (save for Trin, I guess).

A good thing to do would be to rework that whole system. However, there are other priorities right now, and until all of those are done with, we are stuck with close to useless mechanics. Why not at least make it useful in meanwhile by simply tweaking the numbers?

There's one single mod that makes channeling currently viable, and that's Life Strike. The reason being, Life Strike is the only thing, that does Channeling right - it provides a bonus, that's hard to get otherwise. This is what every single Channeling mod has to be so that people will have a motivation to use it.

For example:

1) Corrupt Charge:
extra cost and a mod slot for 33% damage increase (+100% to Channeling damage results in multiplier going from 1.5 to 2). Name me one reason not to place a damage mod instead.

Suggestion:
Channeling penalty stays the same, damage bonus goes from +100% to +500% (resulting in multipliers going from 1.5 to 4). Given how the scaling in this game works, it isn't even a strong buff, but it would be a reason to at least consider gimping your weapon normally so when you're channeling you can burst something down.Could've been overpowered were we not to be in Blood Rush melee era, where damage doesn't get multiplied by channeling directly.

2)Quickening:
Non-existent bonus, heavy cost penalty. Good mod to transmute.

Suggestion:
Channeling penalty stays the same, attack speed bonus goes from +20% to +200%. I am being completely serious here. Attack speed is a bonus, that's counterproductive in relation to Channeling. To mod your Channeling for attack speed is like modding Synoid Gammacor for fire rate - it is fun for the first three seconds, and then you have to swap out. Having the bonus pump the attack speed to absurd rates will result in it being using selectively under specific circumstances.

3) Enduring Strike:
A bonus that's less than one that's provided by a dual-stat for a mod slot and extra Channeling cost. Isn't even rare.

Suggestion:
Increase channeling penalty to Life Strike's levels, increase status chance to flat 100%.

4) True Punishment:
Weaker True Steel (which is weak) that comes with a penalty.

Suggestion:
Increase Channeling penalty to Life Strike's levels, increase critical chance by flat amount.

Now that one would be hard to balance, as I am essentially suggesting to add a Channeling Maiming Strike, that stacks with Maiming Strike. And Maiming Strike is strong. However, provided it'll have a high cost, going for something like +50~100% flat critical chance might actually worth it.

I am not sure about mods without penalties, that provide plain damage increase or Channeling efficiency decrease, as buffing the latter would not be a good idea, and buffing the former doesn't really match that well with the whole "selective Channeling usage" thing.

However, I have to add, that Killing Blow in its current state is weak and useless as it provides only 40% damage increase during Channeling and uses up a slot. Doubling its effect won't break anything.