The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Gpu Usage Less Than 80%

Fonola

Okey.. so i bought a 660ti JUST to play this game with better FPS, it drives me crazy when i got less than 60 FPS in any game.  I can play all my games at 60 FPS except this one (batman arkam city and asylum, wow, league of legends) but somehow this game only uses 65% of the GPU, even when i got it on maximum performance, it never goes up 980 mhz (which means it doesn't use the nvidia clock boost) and no matter how, it always go to 40 FPS when i see more than 15 characters in the same screen.   I have an old 920 core i7 @3.2 ghz with 9gb rams 1310 mz 6-6-6-18 T1.  i KNOW that i can get more stability with these settings, but somehow THIS GAME gives me a headache.  

Is there something wrong with your evolution engine ? are you working on this or you are already leaving the pc version as it is, and you are working on the PS4 already ? i know i am not the only one who has this problems, people on my clan has also good computers that suddenly start to lower fps out of nowhere.  

i will love a reply to this...

So, in other words, the game doesn't know how to use all of a GPU's power? This worries me quite a bit.

Do your own test, my clock doesnt goes above 980 mhz, which is the normal GPU clock , non boosted.  Batman uses 95%-98% most of the time, it doesn't sweet a bit while is crowded.

Yeah, this game has some serious technical issues. Multicore CPU's arent supported very well, theres a RAM leak which will you crash if you play Wave Defense long enough, DX11 is buggy with Warframe (f.e Steam Overlay, TS Overlay or any other overlay will make you most likely crash in DX11 mode).

They need to fix a lot of stuff.

And here I thought it was just me. 560 Ti with factory overclock around 25-40% utilization, Phenom II 920 spiking between 50-75% on all cores, and 1-1.5GB of RAM used (8GB total). I just updated my graphics drivers and that didn't help.

I go through the Void solo at 10fps regardless of what is on the screen. Normal games hover around 40-45fps, but if I host or multiple npcs appear, my fps drops to 10-15 (but squadmates don't report any lag). The main menu and login screens run at 60fps.

I think the cpu utilization needs to addressed as well. Game uses like 10% to 15% percent of my Quad. No reason this game shouldn't run constantly over 60 fps besides internet connectivity. I put this in one of my questions for the next live stream. I hope they pick it or one similar from another user.

Post on the livestream topic, i already did.. Quote or post your problems... Man it's anoying... I can overclock and play other games, but this game just crashes when i put a little OC on the GPU !

I haven't had any issues with performance whatsoever. Admitted I'm running the game with 4770k@4.4 with GTX 680. Forced 32xAA and 16xAF and the game barely uses any resources (GPU <50% usage) If anything there should be more taxing options like tesselation and higher resolution textures. Txaa would be great aswell.

Edited by Vurtney

I haven't had any issues with performance whatsoever. Admitted I'm running the game with 4770k@4.4 with GTX 680. Forced 32xAA and 16xAF and the game barely uses any resources (GPU <50% usage) If anything there should be more taxing options like tesselation and higher resolution textures. Txaa would be great aswell.

Show off

While this was a monstrously unhelpful post designed only to stroke your own hardware-based ego, it is an interesting point of sorts. I got enormous slowdowns before putting in a CPU upgrade, and suddenly they've pretty much vanished entirely. It seems as though there are issues with CPU load, particularly if the player is hosting the game, rather than the GPU. If you're having issues with GPU load and low FPS, like in this thread, maybe take a look at some of the CPU monitoring programs and see if that's the issue?

Show off

Show off

A machine built for rendering has to have some OOMPH. Regarding the game, i'm throwing every possible taxing setting at the game, but it really doesn't use the hardware much. Since this game is more or less GPU bound (not being an mmo) and hardly using the cards mentioned in this topic (nor mine) there could be an issue with the engine. My rendering rig might just be brute forcing through this possible problem.

If the cards mentioned above are hovering below 50% usage, it's hardly a bottleneck problem.

I got enormous slowdowns before putting in a CPU upgrade, and suddenly they've pretty much vanished entirely. It seems as though there are issues with CPU load

Good point. The cpu load however seems to be really low, what i've seen so far. On the other hand, hosting a game could require more horse power. I'm not an expert on how these hosting things work so don't quote me on that. I'll keep monitoring the cpu activity on a host game and while hosting.

I'm sorry if my first post was deemed epeenish. Didn't mean that. It's a work machine first, gaming machine next :)

Edited by Vurtney

Good point. The cpu load however seems to be really low, what i've seen so far. On the other hand, hosting a game could require more horse power. I'm not an expert on how these hosting things work so don't quote me on that. I'll keep monitoring the cpu activity on a host game and hosting.

I'm sorry if my first post was deemed epeenish. Didn't mean that. It's a work machine first, gaming machine next :)

Alright, seems I misread the comment. No harm, no foul - I apologise too. For what it's worth, I'm a bit of a hardware geek and your PC really is an impressive piece of kit!

EDIT: Just from what I've observed, it seems as if a LOT of the information is required to be processed on the host computer. Enem AI, drops, ammunition and level design seems to all be running on the host CPU and being sent to the clients, with little being left to the actual client PC beyond rendering. This isn't a great system, because it hammers the host CPU with a monstrous amount of things once the ammunition drops begin piling up - pre-CPU upgrade, nearly all of my frame issues arrived during things like defense missions when I was hosting and the loot began to pile up.

Edited by MangoMonkey

Exactly, the game uses low CPU loads, and less than 65% GPU loads.  For us nvidia 6xx users, it doesn't use the BOOST clock that we can use, without any overclock, it just stay at the same 980 mhz for me, even when i got it OC'd to 1221 htz.  I hope they are not cutting this on purpose, because that will be a major let down for me.  30-40 FPS while hosting kiste, is not fun. 30-40 FPS in void runs neither

If only there were a forum where you could talk about this game's performance, and perhaps where people could have been talking about these sorts of issues for months!

I guess you're referring to "performance" forums. You're right, this is the wrong place to talk about this.

Just one last thing. Brute forcing a game engine through it's obvious performance flaws is never a solution. A game called TERA (not a stellar game mind you) had an issue with it's UI which was bound to the engine (UE3) The UI dropped the performance by 30 to 50%, just the UI. What some people did to get pass by this obvious problem was, they built rigs WAY over the recommended specs just to force the game to run the way it was meant to run on mid range machines. That's just horrible.

If hosting games takes more cpu power, then that's why people are getting the performance drops. Dedicated servers would completely fix the problem. 

I guess you're referring to "performance" forums. You're right, this is the wrong place to talk about this.

Just one last thing. Brute forcing a game engine through it's obvious performance flaws is never a solution. A game called TERA (not a stellar game mind you) had an issue with it's UI which was bound to the engine (UE3) The UI dropped the performance by 30 to 50%, just the UI. What some people did to get pass by this obvious problem was, they built rigs WAY over the recommended specs just to force the game to run the way it was meant to run on mid range machines. That's just horrible.

If hosting games takes more cpu power, then that's why people are getting the performance drops. Dedicated servers would completely fix the problem. 

But would also cost. I'd give a kidney for dedicated servers, but we've no idea how financially successful DE currently are in terms of Warframe revenue. Dedicated servers might be just too much of a cost for the game, despite the fact they'd fix a large volume of issues players currently encounter.

But would also cost. I'd give a kidney for dedicated servers, but we've no idea how financially successful DE currently are in terms of Warframe revenue. Dedicated servers might be just too much of a cost for the game, despite the fact they'd fix a large volume of issues players currently encounter.

They can afford a development license for ps4. Hopefully the income from ps4 version is enough to cover the expenses for dedicated servers.

3jwRl.png

See the number of threads being used?  There's your problem.  This also explains why the game crashes when you open contact lists that are too big, and why the stupidest of things cause lag when they really shouldn't.  Please implement more multi-threading and all of your problems will go away!