Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"Safe Space"

(PSN)Rawdoginher

As a college undergrad studying Criminology/Criminal Justice, I am sickened by how many of my fellow students behave when certain subjects arise; an example being a discussion of whether or not college's should have "safe spaces". What can be seen, even in courses involving Criminology/Criminal Justice, is an unsettling number of individuals who completely break down in anger (fighting for safe space), or even hysterically crying. It's perfectly acceptable to have a difference in opinion, however, if an individual's emotional levels rise to the point where they can no longer complete a sentence, then it becomes impossible to have a sincere debate over an issue. 

So why keep "safe spaces" out of colleges if individuals won't be opposed by another with a differing opinion? Well, that answer lies within that very question. With the absence of all outside arguments we are left with only one solution to a problem. This solution could be a 100% fix, but that's highly unlikely because the only "fix" that would occur would be to the problems individuals permitted within the safe space are experiencing. For example: if a group of 3rd wave feminist extremist came together in a safe space and decided the only solution to saving humanity is to kill all men; there is in fact multiple groups that strongly believe this. What if the majority of voices within our society were made primarily within these safe spaces? It would be an absolute nightmare.

Well guess what? That nightmare is becoming reality. Many colleges throughout the U.S. and UK has developed safe spaces where the individuals are allowed to protest and voice their opinion without any opposition. It has even grown to the point where faculty members have implemented policies preventing freedom of speech; take a look at Trigger Warnings. One of these triggers even includes applause through CLAPPING due to the "potential risks" of triggering individuals with PTSD; clapping was replaced with Jazz Hands. It has gone so far as to expel factual evidence supporting an opposing argument because many individuals are unable to cope with stress brought on by the debate. I won't name any institutions or organizations in fear of having a brought against me. As I stated in the beginning I'm a college student and am pretty poor due to debt. 

So why am I writing about this in hope of grasping a readers attention? If we take a look at what has been going on in the justice departments throughout the U.S., along with public opinion, we can see that neither side is backing down from the argument and lives have been lost; both those in blue and the public. If an individual fails to maintain their composure throughout a simple argument, then that individual will more than likely make hasty decisions based on his/her overflowing emotions in the event of an emergency. An individual needs to be able to stay calm and assess a situation both quickly and thoroughly in order to make the best possible decision. By telling students (especially Criminology/Criminal Justice Majors) that it is perfectly acceptable to shut out any and all opposing views involving a major problem in society, we are preventing them from becoming open to the idea of multiple possible solutions to a problem and how a problem has impacted the lives of others in society. It's possible to come together and have a reasonable debate if both sides are able to simply let go of their emotions. 

Thank you for your time and I hope I was able to lend a hand to those who become stressed over differing opinion.

P.S. I know I stated above that I wouldn't name any college institutions or organizations, however, I will point out that a type of safe space has made it's way into the gaming world. Anita Sarkeesian has been bashing game developers by promoting 3rd wave feminist extremist logic through youtube videos. Due to some of the COMMENTS she has received, she has disabled her comment section on her videos. While she is absolutely free to do so, doing so defeats the purpose of helping others understand information being presented in her videos. In other words, all you may get from her videos is a crazy, insecure, emotional, nut-job who is possibly a sociopath.