Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archwing (positive) feedback and few suggestions.

RadioLarity

First of all, new archwing movement system is really good (tho it doesn't mean anything from my point of view since I grew up with flying and space simulator games so I know how to maneuver in these scenarios). There is no up and down in space anymore (!!!!!!!!!!) (I should put like 10 times as much exclamation marks).

My first suggestion is to redesign the minimap for archwing.
As we all know 2D minimap is AMAZINGLY FLAWED for flying and especially in space. You don't know if enemies are below you or above you, especially if you're turned sideways to the minimap which doesn't shift along with you.

First minimap version (casual one)
GTKSSpo.jpg
This minimap is used by games like: Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2 (the one in the image), Star Conflict and Elite Dangerous.
The premise of this minimap is, it's treated as a sphere. (In this case) the square shows the whole position of a ship in 3d space inside that sphere. The thin line shows the place of a ship in vertical space (the amount of degrees your ship has to turn up or down) and the place where the line ends (not on the square but simply where line goes into the nothingness) is the place where that ship is in horizontal space.
So what you want to do if you want to acquire the ship in your reticule is to follow the ending of the line (so you are turning in the horizontal space) and then follow the line up or downwards to the square until the line is invisible- that's when the target is right in front of you.
This sounds hella hard in theory (especially that I'm writing it down) but in practice after few minutes of flying, it gets so intuitive, the ship is flying on it's own and you can't even do anything to f' things up.

The other minimap is a map that I have only seen in X-Wing series (so X-Wing; Tie-Fighter; X-wing vs Tie-Fighter and X-wing Alliance)... (or maybe I have seen it somewhere else and don't remember).
The point is that you have (actually) two minimaps, one shows what's in front of you, and the other one shows what's behind you, that's the whole premise. I'm not bothering to show it because it's really simple, but can get confusing. If you want to see it for yourself just check yt for some gameplay.
Like this:

In the top right corner you see a beacon that the player has just gone by and is right behind him. In the top left corner you see a bunch of clustered ships in one place. They shift their place along with the ship (so the front minimap is just what the player sees, it's just with really increased FOV, what it means is that if a square is right on the top of any of the two minimaps, that means the enemy is right above you).

Second suggestion is reducing the amount of momentum.
It's annoying when you speed around the corpus ships trenches and you're smacking agains every possible wall.
The current momentum doesn't carry you around, you have to literally fight it so if you want to keep your max speed, when turning you have not only turn into the way you want to go, but you have to turn even further to fight the momentum that pulls you into the wall.
I know it's space and there is no air friction and you have no wings to help steady the flight, but it would be kinda normal not to have that much momentum if you could justify it by having sideways thrusters used to turn or, reduce the amount of momentum that carries you. (Such turning thrusters can be seen in Star Conflict, which is not a space simulator game, but the visual fact of seeing those is kinda cool and gives you an idea of what I'm talking about)

Last but not least- give us an option to turn on auto horizontal leveling (or specify a button that does that).
I rebember that DE has done somthing like that and showcased it in a devstream showing the current archwing system.
I'm not saying it for sake of myself, bcs I know how to orientate in space, it's for the fact of newbies that seem to be very vocal about such a feature currently.

Thank you for sticking with me and this post, hope you guys aggree.
God Speed Tenno.

PS: ATM you can use "Hold to crouch" button to roll (default button is Ctrl).

EDIT: Fixed spoilers and order of my points.
EDIT#2: Sorry for mixing British English and American English, I'm not native English speaker, hope you understand.

Edited by RadioLarity

the maps need an entire redesign for this movement, no more trenches.

And I honestly preferred the the old movement physics where you went where you pointed. I think it's completely reasonable that these extremely advanced (more advanced that anything the grineer or corpus have by a long shot)  space flight wings would be able to compensate hugely for your turning like before.