Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Puncture And What It Should Do

Excitonex

At their starting level, they still cannot puncture the Grineer Riot Shield, and they are still not viable. Puncture mods need to have their current max value tripled in order for them to be worth anything for their prohibitive cost. 1.8 meters should be enough to get collateral kills on multiple enemies. As it stands right now, however, puncture is NOT worth the energy or the money invested in them. OR, they could be based on a multiplier.

15 mod energy max? For what? Puncturing one enemy? It should be able to punch through at least two.

First option that seems to be fairly popular is a flat value.

Rifles - 4.5 meters max

Pistols - 3.0 meters max

Shotguns - 1.5 meters max

Possible alternative (and balanced) fix I came up with below:

Puncture on a damage-based system. If the damage of a Snipetron is 115, multiplying it by the suggested formula would give it reasonable puncture. 115 x 0.030 = 3.45 meters. This would justify the prohibitive cost of the puncture mod.

Formula: damage x 0.030 = puncture rating (when maxed out)

Scaling of puncture mods: 0.005/0.010/0.015/0.020/0.025/0.030 or something along those lines as far as a multiplier goes.

That way, shotguns don't get the ridiculous puncture they had before, and sniper weapons and other high damage single-shot weapons get the puncture they need. The maximum puncture a HEK pellet could achieve (when equipped with max damage/max puncture) would be 1.083

This would be the best possible fix I can come up with. Critical damage should not modify the damage, however, as that would be disgustingly broken, but it really depends on what they think of it.

Now that shotguns have damage falloff I'm not sure you need to worry about shotgun puncture being OP. I'd much rather see puncture changed to a % chance than this because 1m puncture is literally useless. An ether sword, for example, is roughly 1.5m long. This thread is about making puncture not useless.

Edited by Excitonex

Metal Auger works fine on my Braton.  0.5 is enough to shoot through four grineers or mobs of infested. i have it on my beloved braton and it really boost damage output.

i would agree that cost for this uprgade is rather high, however you can add  polarization to your gun or five and this will solve the case. but you should also keep in mind that even if cost is high each bullet you shot have much higher efficiency. so 15 is good.

Dunno if this has been suggested already, but what if this mod scaled with damage somehow?

So basically, "sniper" weapons with high damage but low rate of fire would get the best results from this (which would make sense, since the idea is that there is far more force behind their shots than something smaller and faster).

Alternatively, strip the actual distance specifications of the mod, and replace it with a "number of enemies pierced" sorta deal.

Edited by MXXVI

Except the mod doesn't puncture things longer than my frame is tall. I don't have to send in a ticket to check something I can see with my own eyes.

Thats nice for your eyes. But my feedback was to aid in fixing this mod to make it usefull, not for someone to tell me otherwise. The devs believe it works. Not me. Your disregard of my post is nice, but far from needed to get this mod working as we all would like.

Warframe shouldn't be about realism, but balance and making every mod appealing/usable. Much easier to utilize a rifle for puncture effectively over a shotgun. Hek could be very good with puncture if buffed, strun not so much, boar not at all.

Actually I quite enjoy puncture on my strun, as it allows me to not only hit enemies that are side by side with the spread but also directly behind one another. Makes the freeze effects keep them bunched together for more shots on target and is particularly effective against shields and infested. Not to mention the strun has the matching polarity to drop the cost to1/2 without forma.

Guys, guys. Puncture can also shoot through shields and most light cover at it's unranked version. I agree that leveling it up does next to nothing, but that ability to shoot through light cover is actually pretty good.

You mean the light cover that you can almost always shoot around? Yeah, now that I think about it totally makes sense to shoot through it for 15 energy and a mod slot.