The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Revolver Rifle/Shotgun combo (based on real-life LeMat carbine)

Arvenski

A few days ago, I was browsing the YouTube Channel Forgotten Weapons when I came across this video, featuring the LeMat centerfire pistols and carbine. My first thought upon seeing the carbine was basically "Hot damn, what a beautiful gun," but eventually I thought of Warframe, the Stradavar, and the devs' penchant for releasing weapons with unique mechanics. You see, this is the LeMat centerfire carbine:

H2672-L18518951.jpg

It's a revolving rifle whose cylinder (magazine, for the less gun-savvy :p) carries nine rounds, which are fired from the top barrel. However, it also packs an unusual surprise:

H3925-L14999663.jpg

In the center of the cylinder, there's a chamber for a single shotgun shell to be loaded and fired via the lower of the two barrels. Move a tab on the hammer, and you can go from firing rifle rounds to firing the shotgun. 

After thinking about this a bit, I was reminded a bit of the Stradavar, which can switch between full- and semi-auto firing modes. It occurred to me that, not only would a gun based on the LeMat carbine be a machanically interesting weapon to have in-game, but it wouldn't be that different from the Stradavar, so it wouldn't be something completely new for the devs to code or the players to get used to. While this would always be "semi-auto," you could go from accurate, long-range shooting at a decent rate of fire to a single, higher-damage, short-range shotgun blast. The gun could be something like the primary version of the Vasto, with a similar aesthetic and similar stats. Like the Vasto, it could have fairly good damage, high accuracy, and a high rate of fire, as well as carrying 9 rounds instead of the Vasto's 6. It's reload speed could be slower, though, and on par with the other semi-auto rifles. In shotgun mode, it could only carry one shot, which would only be effective at close- to medium-range, but would do higher damage. The damage wouldn't have to be better than that of any of the other shotguns, but it could still be respectable at close range. Basically, you could use the gun in rifle mode to score headshots at longer range, and then when somebody got too close for you to be accurate with the rifle, you could just switch to shotgun mode and blast him point-blank. However, where you'd have 9 rifle shots before you'd have to reload, you'd only get one shot with the shotgun before you'd have to reload. So, use it wisely. 

As far as modding goes, the whole gun could just be considered a rifle. Having to equip both rifle and shotgun mods would, I imagine, be a recipe for a lousy gun. The shotgun part could be upgraded with rifle mods like Serration, as with the rifle part. Basically, slotting a rifle mod in would upgrade both functions of the gun, so there wouldn't be any worries there. 

Any thoughts, guys? It's 1:30 AM as I'm posting this, lol, so I may have missed something. Feel free to tell me if I have, and I'll edit the post. 

Edited by Arvenski