Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kunai Vs Despair

SinLortuen

Those thrown sidearms are a funny subject.

The kunai is better for late game since it ignores all armor. When fighting things above level 50 their damage resistance is very annoying so you will be glad to have something that bypasses that.

The despair is better for early game with it's higher base damage.

Despair does more damage, but the kunai have full armor ignore (instead of despairs 50%) and also has a 100% stagger chance, making it awesome to stunlock the bosses and heavies.

You have it wrong, mate. Kunai does armor ignoring damage, meaning it does full damage to everything. Despair, on the other hand, does armor piercing damage which means it does 50 % bonus do grineer medium units and I assume to ancients but does 50% less to light infested units. It does full damage to everything else which means that Kunai is better against infested while Despair is better against everything else. Since light infested units are squishy anyways it doesn't matter much. High level Grineer and Ancients are a pain in the &#! to fight and while both weaposn excel against them, Despair just vaporises them even faster. 

Despair are overall better, having higher base damage and innate puncture. They deal 50% less damage to Light Infested, although the puncturing helps that somewhat. The also deal Armor Piercing damage, which gives a damage bonus to 'Armored' targets. Kunai on the other hand deal Armor Ignoring damage, which eliminates the damage reduction most enemies get, so they overtake the Despair in damage as enemy level goes up, but I'm not sure at what point that is.

despair is useless against infected though but you can use kunai in every situation. i mean if you hate changing weapons for each mission like me use kunai cuz its useful against everything. trust meah

Despair is far from useless against infested. With damage, multishot and elemental mods it one shots light infested up to level 40. How is that useless? It does less damage to them, true, but it still does quite a lot of it. I think this is a nice trade of for the insane damage it does to armored opponents such as Ancients and Grineer, which are by far the bigger threat than some squishy chargers or leapers. I have yet to see someone with kunai out damage my despair in high level defense missions even against infested. 

Despair is far from useless against infested. With damage, multishot and elemental mods it one shots light infested up to level 40. How is that useless? It does less damage to them, true, but it still does quite a lot of it. I think this is a nice trade of for the insane damage it does to armored opponents such as Ancients and Grineer, which are by far the bigger threat than some squishy chargers or leapers. I have yet to see someone with kunai out damage my despair in high level defense missions even against infested.

When playing the number games like despair vs kunai, kunai are far superior the higher the level of enemies you are fighting. Despair does armor piercing damage which is considered an elemental damage when applying to enemy resistances. At a point the enemies will have enough resistance to only take 1 damage from any type of damage even those they are known to be weak against. The kunai ignore all resistances. It is not labeled as any type of damage so it is not supbject to any type of resistances.

So either the people you are fighting with are using despair too, or poorly modded kunai.

Despair does armor piercing damage which is considered an elemental damage when applying to enemy resistances. At a point the enemies will have enough resistance to only take 1 damage from any type of damage

Armor Pierce resistance doesn't scale.

Despair is better but not by so much that it even worth upgrading if you have a Kunai 60 slot already. I have used both neither are useless, despair is pure anti-armor and suffer a little verse light units and kunai in Anti-everything but a little weaker than despair against armor.

Armor piercing weapons are different from armor ignore weapon but neither type will ever lose damage against armor. The wiki isn't perfect but its worth looking up the difference if you do not understand it.

Edited by LazyKnight