Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Corpus Rework : Long Range Faction (WIP)

DeadScream

Hello there ! 

This topic comes from numerous discussions about Corpus being unfunny, too weak, etc. 

Observations : 

The Grineer are a polyvalent faction. What makes them strong and challenging is their heavy units and the fact we must have a look on the whole battlefield when facing them : melee units, ranged ones, heavy powerful ones... 

The Infested are more of a melee faction. What makes them challenging is their numbers, and their few ranged units which change drastically our tactics. 

The Corpus tend to... Be boring. They have guns but they lack accuracy or strangely come into melee range to use them. What makes them challenging is their Nullifiers, until more interesting units come into battle (Combas, Bursas). Without Nullies and without these units, the Corpus troops are terrifyingly weak. 

What I suggest is making them a ranged faction, and for consistency, a majoritary robotic ranged faction. 

A similar topic was made years ago, out of the same observations, but I unfortunately can't find it. 

In this one, I'll bring ideas for tweaks to some units, removal of some of them, and completely new ones. As it will take a long time and English is not my native language, I'll have to update this post several times before we can say the rework suggestion is "full". 

I - MECHANICS

Corpus units now take advantage of map configuration to engage the Tenno from a threatening distance. They tend to split into 3-4 units squads, in the heights and in the distance. 
They now avoid entering between a 20m distance from their target, making bullet jumps and surprise attacks necessary to melee them. 
Note that this distance makes them harder to hit with AoE abilities, and we'd need to be focused and fast to take them down efficiently without leaving our objectives at a certain failure. 

I'll be continuing this topic if I get the approval of the community. I know everyone doesn't feel the same about the Corpus. Some are definately OK with nullies, some want them to be removed entirely, some really enjoy fighting against Corpus... 

II - UNIT REMOVALS (to be compensated by unit concepts)

III - UNIT REWORKS

IV - UNIT CONCEPTS

Corpus Troop Guardian : 

Equipment :

half-circled great power shield : 
height : 2.5m 
width : 5m 

The power shield brings cover to numerous Corpus troops, while allowing them to shoot through it. It also keeps the nullifying ability of nullifiers, but with more fair mechanics : if a Tenno passes through the shield, he gets disrupted - empty shield, powers blocked for 3 seconds. 
The power shield can not nullify powers which work without their caster (snow globes, etc), but still deactivates your active buffs if you pass through it. 

In high level missions, when 2 Guardians come into a same limited area, one of them deploys his shield behind the troops, so that the front and the back are protected. The best tactics would be attacking from above in this situation. 

nullifier grenades : 
explosion range : 6m 
grenade type : sticky - explodes after 3 sec
Grenades can be destroyed if shot between the 3 sec 
No damage
Cooldown between grenades : 10 sec (enough time to kill them, huh ?)

The Troop Guardian throws his grenades on threatening Tenno and powers ! The explosions partially deactivate any power in range : for example, it digs a 6m wide hole in the snow globe ! 
If a Tenno is hit by the explosion, his powers are instantly canceled, but he can recast them with almost no delay. 

TL; DR : the grenade digs holes in area-duration powers like Snow Globe or Fire Blast and cancels active powers if a Tenno is hit 

Opticor : 
Instead of a Lanka sniper rifle, the Guardian brings an Opticor at war ! The targetting ray allows players to avoid the shot. (i've read this suggestion somewhere, I don't know who made it but I find it totally legit) 

Behaviour :

The Troop Guardian walks before various other enemies, who tend to stay behind the shield as much as they can. 
He comes with a 30m radius area, in which Tenno powers are detected. They become the targets of the nullifier grenades. 

When two Guardians are close to each other, they place one shield in front of them and the other behind the squad. 
Guardians are fast but their physical resistance is similar to our current Nullifiers. They use their movement speed to place themselves before the most powerful squads they can find. 

47 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

John Prodman read this post and cried.

I know, I heard him while I was tipping... :(

But all prodmen are not as powerful as him ! Most of them just die because they are far too weak to be sent into battle ! I think crewmen should be either replaced by a melee MoA (? :o) or have their role focused behind the lines, to defend other units from melee attackers. It would imply a massive buff to this unit though, so I'd suggest a big rework (how about giving them two prova ? joke)