Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Commanders

MrHugz

I've been looking at the Grineer mainly, and I notice that their AI is rather dumb.

The AI seem to co-operate when you're playing alone, but I have noticed in situations with multiple Warframes, the AI gets incredibaly confused and does not focus at all. What I mean by this, is that you could be sitting infront of one of them, but they don't attack since they're targeting someone else. For example:

My teammate is running past various enemies, as I tail behind to kill some of them the AI doesn't even turn to me even when I'm slicing and shooting them. Instead they look at the door where my teammate ran through and sit there as I slice them. Meanwhile my teammate is running aimlessly through rooms and there is still one guy leaned against a wall waiting for him.

So what I propose for both Grineer and Corpus (I don't usually have the issue with corpus, and never with the infected) is that these factions have commanding heavy units.

The unit basically points directions and tells the AI to focus targets of key importance, giving the enemy much more resistance. In the case that this unit is present, all of his allies get minor buffs be it speed, or damage, w/e you can think of.

Mainly I feel this unit is needed, because most of the time the enemy is too random, unorganized, and easy pickings when Warframes are running in every direction. Of course sometimes this would be expected, since you catch them off guard, but it shouldn't happen nearly all the time after the ship is alerted and while you're 5-10 minutes into a level.

What do you guys think?

Giving a minor buff to all nearby allies is an easy enough thing to do. The other just sounds like adding in a filter to override the normal auto-targeting if the commanding unit orders so. That said, the commander would still need some sort of enhanced AI. I feel like though that what you're asking for is more for smarter AI, not more concerted AI. Smarter AI is achieved by adding more parameters to their threat assessments or adjusting values as they are; easy changes. Making the AI more concerted could be easy or difficult, depending. It would certainly be easy to make one unit override its allies and say, "Fire on that Volt." The trick is, why would that Volt be any better than the Rhino beside it? If you're talking about anything more advanced than that, be prepared to wait a long time for it to happen. If you really want something other than "attack formation bravo," that would be a lot more code.