Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Concept Idea: Vaara, The Living Electromagnet! (Original Thread)

Daihazi

Intro

VAARA is an idea I came up with after seeing a video of a guy using a magnet on iron sand. I would imagine the Tenno could find a way to control steel sand with some kind of supermagnets built into a Warframe's hands! This idea is more story-fitting, seeing that the sand could be more of a cyberpunk ninja tool than Shoop Da Whooping LASER (my old idea)

VAARA

Unlike the MAG frame, who manipulates any and all matter, VAARA manipulates sand made up of tiny steel filaments, which he both wears as armor, and attacks with, leaving him vulnerable while doing so. kind of like how the VOLT frame's lightning crackles on him. VAARA abandons all care to recklessly assault any opponent that stands against him.

Power 1

Sand Spike: VAARA forms his Steel Sand into 3/3/4/5 large spikes that seek out and strike enemies for 95/120/130/150 damage. If this results in a kill, the target will be impaled, and the spike can hit another target on the way. If the target survives, he is staggered for a brief moment.

OR

Asphyxiate: VAARA sends 3/3/4/5 Steel Sand cords through the ground to seek out and strangle enemies for 100/110/130/150

damage. If the target survives, he will be trapped momentarily by the cords.

Power 2

Steelstorm: Casting a shield of Steel Sand around his body, VAARA rotates rapidly, knocking all enemies within .2/.5/1/1.5 meters flying back 5/6/7/10 meters, and inflicting 50/75/100/130 damage to them. The shield lasts for 2/3/4/5 seconds

OR

Magnetic Slash: VAARA forms his Sand into a coating on his melee weapon, increasing it's Armor Piercing damage by 30/40/50/65% This also increases his Melee Attack Speed by 15/20/20/25% Effect lasts for 5/6/7/8 seconds.

Power 3

Paralyzing Smog: VAARA spreads a mist of fine Steel Dust through the crowd, then locks it into place with a strong magnetic jolt. Any enemy in the cloud will be unable to move for the duration of the attack. The effect lasts for 5/7/9/12 seconds, and when it ends, all survivors are hit for 70/80/90/110 damage, ignoring armor. VAARA can move at 20/30/40/50% of his base movement speed while the effect is in place. Any enemies that walk into this cloud of dust will suffer the same fate as those who were initially hit by it. The cloud covers a 4/4/4/5 meter radius in all directions.

OR

Mind Spike: VAARA creates a steel rod that he shoots at the brain of an enemy, allowing VAARA to use magnetic force to disrupt the electrical impulses in the brain. This causes the affected enemy to kill one of his comrades. Once one/one/one/two kills are made by the said individual, he dies. Bosses are not affected by this power.

Power 4

Anvil Strike: VAARA creates a massive steel block, and drops it on the crowd, dealing massive damage, over a 10 square meter area. It knocks back all enemies within 7 meters of the actual anvil 5/9/12/15 meters.

OR

Make it Rain: VAARA forms his Steel Sand into small nails, which hail down on enemies within 10/11/12/15 meters, inflicting massive damage. Anything that does not die will be knocked down.

Base Health: 250

Base Shield: 300 (150 during casting)

Base Armor: 45 (0 during casting)

Base Energy: 250

Speed: 1.0 (2.2 during casting)

Special Effect

VAARA's high power levels are offset by one tiny detail: His armor is made of suspended Steel Sand; the same sand used to execute ALL of his abilities. He shifts the plating off his body to attack, leaving himself exposed. Without the plates, he looks like a skinny warrior in a bodysuit, and his armor is lowered from it's high 210 to 1 during attacks, while his base speed is raised to 2.0, making him a fast mofojojo. Of course, he has to sit through the animation for a second, but afterward, he can head for the hills. This allows him to use a defensive power such as Steel Storm, and then escape. Of course, if he is not careful, his death will be swift. Sand return animation needs to be amazing! New update: He now suffers from his max shields dropping by 50% whenever his armor is not on.

POWER 1: Weakened for 5 seconds

POWER 2: Weakened for 7 seconds

POWER 3: Weakened for duration of power plus 3 seconds

POWER 4: Weakened for 14 seconds

WHO THINKS THIS WARFRAME WOULD BE TOTALLY AWESOME?

ANY DRAWINGS WELCOME!

Edited by Daihazi

That does sound fun. And actually unique. I like the Anvil idea, sounds hilarious. His frame could even be fairly light looking underneath, like simple magnetic nodes on a plugsuit, but covered in the powder to create the actual armor plates. Then for the abilities the powder would move off of him. If you increase the damage output, this could be balance by temporarily dropping his armor level during ability usage, making him a high risk high reward frame. Example numbers: Base armor is 100. Drop armor to 10 for 2/5/10/15 seconds while using ability 1/2/3/4. This would give him a unique playstyle as well as a unique look that changes during combat.

there is already a warframe idea with the name shard, and he's based upon shards of crystals. sooo... think of a name that compliments his abilities more.

edit: however, your idea sounds cool.

Edited by N4F4N

That does sound fun. And actually unique. I like the Anvil idea, sounds hilarious. His frame could even be fairly light looking underneath, like simple magnetic nodes on a plugsuit, but covered in the powder to create the actual armor plates. Then for the abilities the powder would move off of him. If you increase the damage output, this could be balance by temporarily dropping his armor level during ability usage, making him a high risk high reward frame. Example numbers: Base armor is 100. Drop armor to 10 for 2/5/10/15 seconds while using ability 1/2/3/4. This would give him a unique playstyle as well as a unique look that changes during combat.

Thats an incredible concept

I am going to add that to the description now

there is already a warframe idea with the name shard, and he's based upon shards of crystals. sooo... think of a name that compliments his abilities more.

edit: however, your idea sounds cool.

I did look at the original SHARD idea, and I honestly would get addicted to playing that thing. Thus, out of respect, i have changed the name to VAARA, meaning "Risk" in finnish. The first translation is Riski, but who would want to play as Riski? The second translation is Vaara, and it means the same thing. http://translate.google.com/#en/fi/RISK

I have done this in honor of Khaos_Zand3r's idea of a high risk high reward Warframe who uses his armor as a weapon.

Edited by Daihazi

Nice update. Though 500 shield points is ALOT. I hope that is at level 30.

Yes, that is at 30. This is to offset the fact that he loses all of his armor when he attacks. His health is only 300, as compared to the average 400. If the average is lower, please let me know, ill change that instantly

I do hope someone subbmits this onto the design council. It would make for an absolutely incredible frame. A frame that's hard to kill, but can be dropped in mere seconds when he's attacking. Definitely a frame that could survive for waves and waves, granted that the user knows how to time his attacks. Timing is everything thanks to Khaos's idea, and I really like that. I'm not sure if it would be possible to reduce the damage on all guns by like 15% for Vaara, therefore the player would be almost forced to risk his life to attack. Since 210 armor is difficult to hit through, there would have to be a system to prevent players from using Vaara only for his durability while not using powers. Maybe even a 20 or 25% gun damage reduction would be in order.

Edited by Daihazi

Yes, that is at 30. This is to offset the fact that he loses all of his armor when he attacks. His health is only 300, as compared to the average 400. If the average is lower, please let me know, ill change that instantly

Sounds good! I was worried that was at level 1!

So, I decided to start thinking about another Warframe concept to send off to the Design Council. I do think that Vaara would have a good chance of becoming the next warframe after Antimatter, with a little tweaking. So I've got VAARA, the walking electromagnet, and I'm kinda thinking of another frame idea that is based off of long range combat. Perhaps a frame that can Digiconstruct weapons other than the equipped primary/secondary? Or perhaps one based off of sheer speed. Like a lightning fast martial artist? Or maybe even like a mechanic? Building turrets and barricades?

Give me feedback on which one you think I should brainstorm about, and I'll save it to a word document along with Vaara, and we'll see if one of my frames can't make it into the real game! But it would definitely be a disappointment if Vaara never made it into Warframe.

i swear to....... this sounds like a Warframe version of Gaara from naruto, i'd freaking buy it with plat if it came out.

While I did not intend to make a Gaara knockoff, he does sort of behave like Gaara. Although, Gaara prefers to slam his enemies with his sand, rather than stab, and blast. Furthermore, if you want to compare Vaara to a... oh S#&$, you need to change one letter in his name and you have Gaara! 0.0

Totally unintentional, because Vaara means Risk in Finnish... http://translate.google.com/#en/fi/RISK it's the second translation.

While I did not intend to make a Gaara knockoff, he does sort of behave like Gaara. Although, Gaara prefers to slam his enemies with his sand, rather than stab, and blast. Furthermore, if you want to compare Vaara to a... oh S#&$, you need to change one letter in his name and you have Gaara! 0.0

Totally unintentional, because Vaara means Risk in Finnish... http://translate.google.com/#en/fi/RISK it's the second translation.

thats' the first thing that came to my mind when i read over the skills, because i remember that sand gouard gaara used to store the sand for his attacks and shielding.

Looking at his stats, no his death will not be swift even if he's not careful. Warframe armour is a pretty lame statistic and that shield value would receive huge benefits from the Redirection. Adjust it.

I like your idea of a sharpmetal manipulator Frame to be honest. Electromagnetism is too similar to Mag though. Psychokinesis would be ripping of Nyx. Electrokinesis isn't used by Volt though, so perhaps you could try something like that.

Gaara? That wuss? People would probably draw similarity between the two names, so consider changing his name, to something that fits his theme and abilities better. Looking at his current stats anyway, it's quite obvious that there's little risk involved when playing him.

Looking at his stats, no his death will not be swift even if he's not careful. Warframe armour is a pretty lame statistic and that shield value would receive huge benefits from the Redirection. Adjust it.

I like your idea of a sharpmetal manipulator Frame to be honest. Electromagnetism is too similar to Mag though. Psychokinesis would be ripping of Nyx. Electrokinesis isn't used by Volt though, so perhaps you could try something like that.

Gaara? That wuss? People would probably draw similarity between the two names, so consider changing his name, to something that fits his theme and abilities better. Looking at his current stats anyway, it's quite obvious that there's little risk involved when playing him.

Ah, I just now realized that one. Thank you, his shields shall be nerfed at once!

New changes to his stats:

His shields are now at 300 points.

His health is now at 250 points.

His shields now drop to 150 during casting.

His speed now increases to 2.2 during casting.

He is now a high risk, high reward frame. Any suggestions to make his play style more high risk, high reward? POST IT UP!

Ah, I just now realized that one. Thank you, his shields shall be nerfed at once!

EDIT: I missed your post, disregard this

450 max is fine, to be on par with Mag and Rhino. 

Compare it to the base statistics of other frames though.

Rhino has 450 shields, 300 health and 150 armour. But he has only 150 power and a low sprint speed as a drawback(OK now it's apparently 0.9, was he buffed?)

Mag too, has 450 shields but a measly 225 health. While she has standard armour and sprint values, her power is only 150.

Nyx has 300 health, 300 shields(a standard score) but only 10 armour. To compensate, she has 1.2 sprint speed(was she buffed again?) and a power capacity of 225.

Compare these examples to those of your frame.

Health at 30: 300 - this is a standard score

Shields at 30: 500 - this is higher than the frames that have the highest shields in the game, Frost, Mag and Rhino.

Base Armor: 210 - This is bordering on insane. Frost and Rhino, your designated male tanks, have 150 armour. Losing armour during abilities is not an adequate handicap. Nyx, Trinity, Banshee and Ember have only 10 armour.

Speed: 1.0 - this is a standard score

What's wrong with your frame's stat values is that there raised stats but no drawbacks to compensate. I'll let you decide on how to adjust them.

Edited by Amistyrja

New changes to his stats:

His shields are now at 300 points.

His health is now at 250 points.

His shields now drop to 150 during casting.

His speed now increases to 2.2 during casting.

He is now a high risk, high reward frame. Any suggestions to make his play style more high risk, high reward? POST IT UP!

Your new stats can be a little confusing. If his shields at Rank 30 are 300, this means that his base shield value is 100.

Health of 250 means that his base health is uh, 80 I think?

Redirection and Vitality only increase health and shield values based on base values of the frame. 40% of 100 is 40, and this is the amount increased by Redirection, so you get the idea.

So when he casts an ability, does this mean that his shields drop to 150 no matter their current value(eg. with Rank 1 Redirection mod = total 380 shields)? If it does, that actually sounds kinda appropriate, but also a pretty harsh penalty. Maybe consider halving his shields by their current capacity instead, so Redirection to provide coverage while he uses his abilities actually benefits.

Both of the first abilities don't deal much damage, but stagger/stun properties help I guess.

Ideas for his second ability are good, but Magnetic Slash is bordering on overpowered. Saryn's Poison damage from Contagion only goes up to 60%. Armor Piercing damage is resisted by light Infested, but that's a small drawback considering how effective it is on so many enemies(Grineer, Corpus, Ancients). 100% is a value that is far too high, don't forget that such a value is likely to be increased by Focus giving it a further damage boost. The buff to melee fire rate is also way too high, keep in mind that Fury can be used on weapons as well to increase their fire rate, and Focus may increase the fire rate bonus even higher. If you'd like my opinion, I find the attack speed boost quite unnecessary, adjust the Armor Piercing damage boost and lengthen the ability's duration if you plan on using Magnetic Slash.

Enemy confusion is Nyx's niche, so forget Mind Spike. Chaos is way better anyway. Paralysis is an interesting idea for a ground control move, but the paralyze duration is far too long. Keep in mind that the duration may be increased by Continuity. Unless enemies that enter the affected AoE after it is cast will still suffer from paralysis, your frame may end up getting killed while holding his targets in place. It should also inflict heavier damage so its not lame compared to Bastille.

Both the 4th abilities sound interesting. Your Anvil Strike should do something like inflict knockdown in a wide area(wider than melee weapon groundslam) while inflicting heavy damage, and have a near-instant cast time to justify its 100 power cost.

To prevent your Rain ability from losing its effectiveness against stronger enemies quickly, give it a secondary effect, like each nail having a chance to stagger enemies.

Edited by Amistyrja