The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Warframe freezing my system; had to forcefully shut down

HormoneChicken

System specs:

Alienware 18, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, 16GB of ram, dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M with 3GB of vram each running in a SLI configuration, 750GB HDD running in a RAID 0 configuration

This happened to me about a week ago. I was over at a friend's house playing Warframe. Everything was going well for about 30 minutes before the game stopped responding. Now, this does happen occasionally, so I opened task manager to end the task. I did not think much of it, so I clicked on the launcher (through Steam) to play again. I got past the launcher and was about to approach the login screen. I was greeted with a black screen instead of taking me to the login screen. Again, I didn't think much of it because things like this happen on occasions.

However, this scenario was different because I could not open task manager or alt + f4 out of the game. The game was frozen to the point where I could not do anything on my laptop. I decided to wait it out to see if the problem would fix itself. I waited about 10-15 minutes before checking on it again to no avail. Warframe was still stuck on the black screen, and I could not do anything on my laptop to fix this.I then had to forcefully shut down my laptop (hold down power button) since there wasn't anything I could do. Now normally, I would not do this unless if I had tried everything else that I could think of. To add to this, I had also done this with some other programs, too (if they refuse to let me do anything). I have also never done this while my system was performing an update or downloading something.

I waited a few seconds (about 10) before turning my laptop back on. Windows prompted gave me a choice as to whether I wanted to start Windows normally or to perform a startup fix. Having done this kind of thing before in the past without any issues, I proceeded to start Windows normally. The Windows boot logo was going through the animation, but about 2 seconds in, my system flashed a blue screen before rebooting. I then selected the "perform startup repair" to see if my laptop could fix this. The repair took about 30 minutes (I think) before it said that it was finished. I rebooted my system again, only to get another blue screen and forcing another reboot. Selecting the startup repair option again gave me a different response. This time, it said that Windows could not fix the problem automatically.

Booting my laptop into safe mode did not work either. I tried all three variants of safe mode (normal, command prompt, and networking), but I would get a blue screen before I even reached my desktop. Next, I tried reinstalling my OS, but the system could not do it on my main drive. I had to disable my RAID configuration in the BIOS menu before it would let me do anything. Upon checking the available drives again, my laptop couldn't even find the hard drive. It was at this point where I thought a full system restore would fix it. Well, turns out it didn't. I selected the system restore option (back to factory settings) as a last resort option. I ended up waiting 2 and a half days before the laptop blue screened again. Not knowing what was happening, I did a bit of research only to find out that my hard drive was most likely damaged beyond repair.

So I ordered a SSD to replace my hard drive and everything was working just fine (I am writing this post just about 2 hours after I got this laptop working again).

I'm not furious or anything since this was most likely a complete freak incident, but has this kind of scenario happened to anyone else? I know that Warframe has its moments where it doesn't respond, but I was not expecting something like this to happen. I am posting this as a warning/experience gone wrong of sorts, but I am genuinely curious to see if something like this has happened to anyone else or if it's just me.

TL;DR Warframe froze my laptop to the point where I had to forcefully shut down. Normally this wouldn't do anything since I have done it in the past, but I got a lot of blue screens. Found out that my hard drive was gone for good, so I ordered a SSD and replaced it. Now everything is fine.