Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Star Citizen Thread

VKhaun

Checking in with Star Citizen between WF updates. I don't know what happened recently but I'm definitely not the only one. Always 2-3 people in chat with no clue what's going on. Besides me, so 3-4 total. >.<

I had backed it for a Cutlass Black a long time ago, intending to pirate and explore, but I wasn't loving the Cutlass so I did a small upgrade to the Freelancer DUR. Apparently that's being reworked so all I have right now is a base model Freelancer which seems to use smaller size guns, but it's still a lot of fun to fly.

I found I had about 950,000 of the electronic access currency from being a subscriber for a few years so if there's anything in electronic access you would like a quick review or video of let me know.

One interesting thing in the shop are the gimbal adapters. I always preferred gimbal mounted guns (shoots at the big blue circle at your mouse point instead of the crosshair straight ahead of the ship like fixed guns.) so I was only looking at a few ships for most of the game's history. Apparently they put adapters in the shop at some point, where you go down a size in gun but it becomes a gimbal mount so you can aim it! Not every gun slot can use them, but some MISSILE ("pylon") slots can actually use them so you can get more total dakka even going down a size on individual guns. This also goes the other direction. If you like fixed guns, some ships that list gimbal mounts are actually fixed slots with adapters as standard equipment so you can use one size larger in that slot as a fixed gun if you want.

The Mustang Delta has 2x Size 2 fixed gun slots, 2xS2 pylon slots that come default with missiles and 1xS1 turret with two S1 guns on it (unmanned turret = same thing as a gimbal but larger firing arc), so swapping all four size 2 slots with adapters gives me 6xS1 guns all on gimbal controls. o.o

Edited by VKhaun

Like you I had a Cutlass black that I changed into a Freelancer, in hindsight I am sure that wasnt such a great idea. I am pretty sure the Xi'an hybrid technology in the freelancer will make it a *@##&#036; to find spare parts in outlaw space.

They are reworking the Cutlass now though so it might be a good idea for outlaws like myself to change back to it.

Have you been to the new outlaw space station, GrimHex?

The Star Citizen Gamescom 2016 presentation was pretty impressive, if you havent seen it you should.

Nah. I don't think I"m going back to the Cutlass. Didn't like it at all. Inside or out. It's not a bad ship and you're right. It's probably good for an outlaw. I just didn't like it. Had to move on to something else.

Speaking of Xi'an I did try the one Xi'an ship you can get for REC. At first it felt ultra drifty. It was handling like something tiny but at the same time drifting like it was massive and I didn't like it at first. Then I hit right strafe to dodge an asteroid and the whole thing clicked. Really strong thrusters turn it into a high skillcap fighter. You get insane maneuverability and speed with two big S3 guns, but you have to compensate for the drift constantly with the strafes and up/down thrusters. If I liked fixed guns and I was L337 I would main it for sure, but I'm a scrub and I like gimbals/unmanned turrets so... back to my Freelancer.

I woke up in GrimHex for the first time, last time I went to Crusader. Apparently accidentally turning off a relay puts me on the most wanted list, even though I turned it right back on. Sheesh. I also stopped by a... something center. Shipping center? A voice came over the coms and said they were closed so I started to leave. Just as I jumped away I heard a warning that I was trespassing and would be destroyed. Might have to go back since I'm an outlaw anyway. See if I can get in there and find anything to in there. Or maybe it's just a placeholder?

52 minutes ago, VikingoX said:

Like you I had a Cutlass black that I changed into a Freelancer, in hindsight I am sure that wasnt such a great idea. I am pretty sure the Xi'an hybrid technology in the freelancer will make it a *@##&#036; to find spare parts in outlaw space.

well this isn't good for me. one of the ships I bought is a freelancer.

im going to hope that I come across some station or something that sells freelance parts.

The Khartu Al Xi'an scout? I heard its a nice ship to fly. 

I assume the station you encountered was the covalex shipping hub. 

TBH I havent really played much, being a alfa tester is rarely fun and I dont want to get burned out on the game before its released.

1 hour ago, Agentcheese said:

im going to hope that I come across some station or something that sells freelance parts.

If you are a law abiding citizen you will have access to the UEE core worlds and there I cant imagine that spare parts will be troublesome to get. For a criminal on the fringe though... 

If the Cutlass rework will give it cargo capacity similar to the Freelancer then I will be changing in a instant.

11 hours ago, VikingoX said:

The Khartu Al Xi'an scout? I heard its a nice ship to fly.

Yeah. The red octopus ship. Really cool, but not enough firepower if I downgrade with gimbals. I'd have to run it fixed. Using all the thrusters while aiming fixed and trying not to black out just puts it above my skill level.

Did I mention before that the thing will make you black out VERY easily? I've tested at least one variant of all ships with ROMs plus the Cutlass and Freelancer and this thing was by far the easiest to black out in. A few ships are prone to it on a big direction change at top speed or heavy afterburner hit, but the octopus would make me black out just trying to chase drones.

11 hours ago, VikingoX said:

If you are a law abiding citizen...

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I plan to play the edge of citizen and outlaw. I want to murder strangers but also hang out on the UEE core worlds. I'm sure that won't be easy, but I hope development doesn't make it impossible or obvious. Like "Please come to the only part of town with no cameras during guard shift change and wear a signal jammer.", "Also, this is a gun free zone.".

13 hours ago, VikingoX said:

13 hours ago, Agentcheese said:

I wonder if this is also true of the Constellation Aquila. I'm wrestling with maybe upgrading but don't want to get myself stuck paying way too much insurance on a solo ship if I die a lot. If the Freelancer is going to be a pain or expensive and the Aquila is standard/cheap I may as well trade up. Probably too early to think about that. Have to see what other options show up for armament, upgrades or whole new ships.

11 hours ago, VKhaun said:

I wonder if this is also true of the Constellation Aquila. I'm wrestling with maybe upgrading but don't want to get myself stuck paying way too much insurance on a solo ship if I die a lot. If the Freelancer is going to be a pain or expensive and the Aquila is standard/cheap I may as well trade up. Probably too early to think about that. Have to see what other options show up for armament, upgrades or whole new ships.

As far as I understand RSI ships are like the "ship for the people", unlike MISC with their Xi'an hybrid technology or Aegis who is a military contractor with their new stealth ships and stuff I havent seen anything in RSI lore that suggests their ships are difficult or expensive to maintain and operate. 

They are probably not as cheap or easy as Drake ships which are designed and built to be operated and maintained on the fringe with their "you can even fix it yourself" repair.

Still though, if you only have one ship I would strongly advice against going up in ship size to the aquila unless you are dead certain you will have org members helping you with operation and crewing your ship or who let you crew their ships. The bigger the ship the bigger the crew and fuel costs. 

IMO its better to have a smaller ship you know you can operate alone and make a profit from and then earn a bigger ship in game if you want one.

43 minutes ago, VikingoX said:

IMO its better to have a smaller ship you know you can operate alone and make a profit from and then earn a bigger ship in game if you want one.

Yeah but I hate Auroras. Do you know if they're planning to make any RSI ships between the Aurora and Constellation? If they made a Cutlass / Freelancer sized ship that'd be great to have something in that range with widely available parts.

I can't do the Cutlass. Didn't like how it felt. Didn't like how it looked. Nope nope nope. Even if it was OP and free I'd leave it in the hanger collecting dust. Probably unlikely that we'll see a similar ship in that size from Drake right? My favorite ship to fly so far is the Avenger which looks to be close to the Herald in size. We might get variants on the Herald that are no just for data trafficking?

Edited by VKhaun

I hate the Aurora too. Must be the ugliest ship I've seen. 

Avenger is a good generalist starter, I have one, it was my first pledge.

They will continue to make ships for a long time so I am sure something interesting will come up and who knows, maybe MISC will have a store in one of the lawless systems after all. 

As for the Herald, that ship was designed specifially for E-War so I dont think there will be any variants for it and I havent heard of any plans for it either but CIG does change their minds sometimes.

On 9/9/2016 at 8:48 PM, VikingoX said:

I hate the Aurora too. Must be the ugliest ship I've seen. 

hehe maybe the devs made the aurora ugly on purpose so that newbies will be encouraged to get a new and better ship faster. also thanks for the info about the freelancer in your previous reply.

I don't think I'll be going against the law that much so I should be fine. and not get shot to death by space judge dread.