Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[OOC Discussion] Grinning Shadows

LunarFirefly

As I looked over my character's information, I realized that he might seem too Tenno like. So I thought off a more Corpus like way that Nol could be. He would be a Jack of All Trades space-farer. His gear would consist of a Serro for scrapping ships, a Spectra for repairing ships, a Quanta for mining ores, and maybe a Atomos for smelting ores. He'd then sell the ore, scrap, and his skills to other space farers. Of course he would still have his best friend in the Void: Helios. Also, he'll continue to own the refurbished cargo ship. Now I just need to decided if I should have him as a Space Farer or a Elite Crewman.

Edited by Nobody331

41 minutes ago, Nobody331 said:

As I looked over my character's information, I realized that he might seem too Tenno like. So I thought off a more Corpus like way that Nol could be. He would be a Jack of All Trades space-farer. His gear would consist of a Serro for scrapping ships, a Spectra for repairing ships, a Quanta for mining ores, and maybe a Atomos for smelting ores. He'd then sell the ore, scrap, and his skills to other space farers. Of course he would still have his best friend in the Void: Helios. Also, he'll continue to own the refurbished cargo ship. Now I just need to decided if I should have him as a Space Farer or a Elite Crewman.

Okay just wanna make sure you understand Jack of All Trades implies being able to do pretty much everything, HOWEVER it also means that you're not very good at anything.  You do a decent job, but that's it.  You have no specializations thus you're proficient in nothing.  Being a Jack of All Trades sucks rear holes.

If you want him to be good at mining, refining and stuff, that's fine.  I don't think that falls under Jack of All Trades. I knew people who worked in making weapons (yes, real ones) and they did all kinds of different things in the shop but that didn't make them a jack of all trades.

Besides 'trades' implies multiple areas/professions, etc, not just proficiency in a specific trade.  If he's mining, refining, smelting, etc.. Those are all things he could have learned in his profession as they all work together to a degree.  Having more help with people who are trained specifically in techniques to improve different areas of the aforementioned, is beneficial but not a requirement (in my opinion).

I'm just a bit confused on what exactly he does, and how it'd fit into this story.  Being Corpus I assume trade.. So he trades in refined ore?

If he's also going to be a mechanic, you'd be better off picking one of the two trades that you're more proficient in.

Plenty of farmers carry shotguns but they aren't professional hunters.  So where does he stand in the combat realm?  Is he a farmer, or a skilled fighter?

And how did he come to learn all this stuff (gimme some of that juicy back story)?

16 hours ago, LunarFirefly said:

Y'know the first thing I thought of was --

Rhino.

And then I cringed and curled up into a tiny ball at the thought.

Edit: I suppose it might be worth mentioning I'm not wholly thinking clearly right now >.>

Y´know....

I just.... Sigh

This is the kind of thoughts we try to actively AVOID.....

On 10/6/2016 at 7:45 PM, LunarFirefly said:

Okay just wanna make sure you understand Jack of All Trades implies being able to do pretty much everything, HOWEVER it also means that you're not very good at anything.  You do a decent job, but that's it.  You have no specializations thus you're proficient in nothing.  Being a Jack of All Trades sucks rear holes.

If you want him to be good at mining, refining and stuff, that's fine.  I don't think that falls under Jack of All Trades. I knew people who worked in making weapons (yes, real ones) and they did all kinds of different things in the shop but that didn't make them a jack of all trades.

Besides 'trades' implies multiple areas/professions, etc, not just proficiency in a specific trade.  If he's mining, refining, smelting, etc.. Those are all things he could have learned in his profession as they all work together to a degree.  Having more help with people who are trained specifically in techniques to improve different areas of the aforementioned, is beneficial but not a requirement (in my opinion).

I'm just a bit confused on what exactly he does, and how it'd fit into this story.  Being Corpus I assume trade.. So he trades in refined ore?

If he's also going to be a mechanic, you'd be better off picking one of the two trades that you're more proficient in.

Plenty of farmers carry shotguns but they aren't professional hunters.  So where does he stand in the combat realm?  Is he a farmer, or a skilled fighter?

And how did he come to learn all this stuff (gimme some of that juicy back story)?

Well, I used 'Jack of all Trades' incorrectly. What I intended was for Nol to specialize as a miner,scavenger, and  ship technician. Also, the more I thought on it, I wouldn't really be sure on how he'd obtain an Atomos for smelting, so that's out of the picture. As for mining, I would have to take that out because that doesn't tie in with a scavenger or ship technician. However, I can tie a scavenger and ship technician into this story. 

Unit: Ship Scavenger and Ship Technician

Appearance: Standing at 5'11, he wears a dark grey uniform.

Nol started out as part of a Corpus ship maintenance crew. He'd work along side his fellow crewman to maintain the ship's defenses, proxies, cameras, laser barriers, and the ship itself. Whether its a coolant leak, hull breach, coolant overflow, or defective equipment, the maintenance crew were there. However, as the years dragged on and the constant hull breaches continued, Nol's greed for profit has lead him to expanding his job field to a more open area. This open area happened to be ship scavenging. Filling out an apprentice application, he prepared himself for his new field by buying a Serro, Helios, and a Scavenger Drone. With these tools and his mentor, he was able to learn which salvage would be market material and the various uses of salvage. He also learned that a scavenger could salvage a ship on his/her own or in a group. With a group, it would be safer, but the profit would be split up. And with a lone scavenger, the profit wouldn't need to be split, but it would be at a higher risk. He has spent 5 years learning under his mentor and another 5 years switching between a lone scavenger and a scavenger crew. In this time, he was able to buy his own cargo ship and Braton.  Any time he scavenged alone, he'd bring his Braton, Scavenger Drone, and Helios for self defense, comfort, and assistance. With his experience in both fields, he was able to salvage himself a few proxies from a destroyed Corpus ship. The proxies were, 2 standard Moas, a railgun Moa, and a shield Osprey.

Equipment: 

Primary: Braton

Secondary: Spectra

Melee: Serro

Positive Attribute: Nol will always bring Helios and a proxy with him.

Character Flaw: However, if Helios or a proxy is unable to function, he will magnetize it to the back of his suit and carry it around like a bag.

I'm open to suggestions, criticisms, and anything similar. Also, thank you Lunar for bringing these things to my attention.  :)

Edited by Nobody331

2 hours ago, Nobody331 said:

Well, I used 'Jack of all Trades' incorrectly. What I intended was for Nol to specialize as a miner,scavenger, and  ship technician. Also, the more I thought on it, I wouldn't really be sure on how he'd obtain an Atomos for smelting, so that's out of the picture. As for mining, I would have to take that out because that doesn't tie in with a scavenger or ship technician. However, I can tie a scavenger and ship technician into this story. 

Unit: Ship Scavenger and Ship Technician

Appearance: Standing at 5'11, he wears a dark grey uniform.

Nol started out as part of a Corpus ship maintenance crew. He'd work along side his fellow crewman to maintain the ship's defenses, proxies, cameras, laser barriers, and the ship itself. Whether its a coolant leak, hull breach, coolant overflow, or defective equipment, the maintenance crew were there. However, as the years dragged on and the constant hull breaches continued, Nol's greed for profit has lead him to expanding his job field to a more open area. This open area happened to be ship scavenging. Filling out an apprentice application, he prepared himself for his new field by buying a Serro, Helios, and a Scavenger Drone. With these tools and his mentor, he was able to learn which salvage would be market material and the various uses of salvage. He also learned that a scavenger could salvage a ship on his/her own or in a group. With a group, it would be safer, but the profit would be split up. And with a lone scavenger, the profit wouldn't need to be split, but it would be at a higher risk. He has spent 5 years learning under his mentor and another 5 years switching between a lone scavenger and a scavenger crew. In this time, he was able to buy his own cargo ship and Braton.  Any time he scavenged alone, he'd bring his Braton, Scavenger Drone, and Helios for self defense, comfort, and assistance. With his experience in both fields, he was able to salvage himself a few proxies from a destroyed Corpus ship. The proxies were, 2 standard Moas, a railgun Moa, and a shield Osprey.

Equipment: 

Primary: Braton

Secondary: Spectra

Melee: Serro

Positive Attribute: Nol will always bring Helios and a proxy with him.

Character Flaw: However, if Helios or a proxy is unable to function, he will magnetize it to the back of his suit and carry it around like a bag.

I'm open to suggestions, criticisms, and anything similar. Also, thank you Lunar for bringing these things to my attention.  :)

:O

:O!!!

Very nice.

Why would magnetizing his stuff to his back be a flaw though?  Seems like a typical thing to do if you don't wanna lose stuff.

6 minutes ago, LunarFirefly said:

Why would magnetizing his stuff to his back be a flaw though?

makes it easier for various metallic things to contact his back with different levels of force + slowdown

Edited by Teloch

17 minutes ago, LunarFirefly said:

LMFAO

"I'll just magnetize it to my suit." Flips the switch.. suddenly, the ground and crushing pain.

Rhino - "The hell is going on?"

Guy - "HNNNNGH... H-hit the switch!  THE SWITCH!"

>__>

On 10/9/2016 at 2:37 AM, LunarFirefly said:

LMFAO

"I'll just magnetize it to my suit." Flips the switch.. suddenly, the ground and crushing pain.

Rhino - "The hell is going on?"

Guy - "HNNNNGH... H-hit the switch!  THE SWITCH!"

D: What a way to go. Crushed by Rhino.

behold my (not) incredible limbo backstory of the warframe that i shall be using limbo!

Warframe. limbo(i shall post a pic of him later)

Equipment:

Primary:quanta. awesome sound effects, and devastating results

Secondary:His pocket sniper rifle and quick response to most things. he also equips it with a supressor in ocassions when he has to do spy missions.

Melee: The heliocor. what? were you expect ting a measly dagger? nah, the heliocor is easly portable, and gives umpleatand surprieses for the poor face the hammer meets(in case if we encounter any mission, he will have a hidden weapon(gotta think what it could be suggestions are apreciated)

bio: will upload sooner this evening

samuelx43a out!

o.o has it really been nearly a week since I saw this?  Ugh sorry.. I've been overwhelmed and distracted.. and not feeling well at all.. 

Okay so this seems peachy so far.  As much as I hate to be a 'grammar nazi' please try to capitalize and punctuate.  A few people mentioned they had a difficult time reading (not so much me, but I can see where they're  coming from.) So it'd be awesome if you could do that.  If nothing else, there's nifty grammar checkers online you can drop your post into that'll help with that stuff.  Or browser extensions.

Otherwise yus.  Looks good.  Would also like to see that bio :3