Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need Ongoing Random Specific Questions Answered

CrimsonDalekanium

This is not about Warframe. That's why it's here in off-topic. If you're looking to help a n00b out with warframe tips ,go somewhere else.

So, I'm running a RPG on a different forum, flying by the seat of my pants and not using any actual rulebook. This naturally leads to some interesting questions, where information isn't readily available on the first page of Google. Questions such as:

If I created a 16 foot tall ice statue of a man (using the average body proportions of a man who is 6'1 and weighs 190 pounds), how much would it weigh?

How large would bat-wings need to be to reasonably support a 110-pound payload, assuming the proportions of a normal bat's wing? 

What would the best metal be for creating a non-magnetic, high heat-resistant, reasonably durable, medium-weight (200-500 pound) humanoid?

What combination of metal and ceramics would be best for creating a robot able to withstand entry into the earth's atmosphere but not shatter when shot at?

These are just the ones off the top of my head, but rest assured, more will come up.

1. Average human density is 985 kg/m3 or 2171 lb/m3. Given that your person weighs 190lb, its volume would be mass/density (190/2171) = 0.0875172732 m3.

Since ice statue will just be an upscale of the average human, we can deduce that it will be 2.667 larger in volume (192in / 72in), so 2.667 x 0.875172 =0.2333793952

Density of ice is 916 kg/m3 (2015.2 lb/m3):

0.2333793952 x 2015.2 = 470.306lb

So your 16ft ice statue is approximately 470 pound.

2. Not sure on bat wings since its not just wing spam. Theres alot of stuff going on in aerodynamics.

3. Titanium or carbon fiber. Both are lightweight and extremely durable, containing melting points in the several thousands.

4. Looking at a spaceships building materials on wiki, they use something called LI-900 Silica ceramics. Looks like they were used because they were terrible conductor of heat.

11 hours ago, 321agemo said:

1. Average human density is 985 kg/m3 or 2171 lb/m3. Given that your person weighs 190lb, its volume would be mass/density (190/2171) = 0.0875172732 m3.

Since ice statue will just be an upscale of the average human, we can deduce that it will be 2.667 larger in volume (192in / 72in), so 2.667 x 0.875172 =0.2333793952

Density of ice is 916 kg/m3 (2015.2 lb/m3):

0.2333793952 x 2015.2 = 470.306lb

So your 16ft ice statue is approximately 470 pound.

That's about twice what I figured

2. Not sure on bat wings since its not just wing spam. There's alot of stuff going on in aerodynamics.

and here I am without an aeronautical engineering degree

3. Titanium or carbon fiber. Both are lightweight and extremely durable, containing melting points in the several thousands.

I went with Scandium for the specific case in point, as I'd already used Titanium and didn't want to overuse the cliche. It was for a Colossus type character fighting a magnetic character

4. Looking at a spaceships building materials on wiki, they use something called LI-900 Silica ceramics. Looks like they were used because they were terrible conductor of heat.

I'd gone with Hafnium Carbide layered in titanium and tungsten, as it has a very high melting point but can be rather brittle.

Thanks.

If a freshwater pond was found in the middle of a volcanic island roughly 50 miles off the coast of California, would it contain freshwater animal life?

According to H.P. Lovecraft's work, how large is Cthulhu?

What does the demonic power structure of Hell look like?

What is Purgatory and who rules it (pick any reference point you like)?

According to GoT or LoTR, how tough are dragon scales?

And now for the weird one...

Who is a character, real or fictional, who starts out as part of a violent group(soldiers, mercenaries, spec ops team, etc), retires to a quieter family life on friendly terms, has a family, has the original group destroy his town/family, and swears vengeance on them? The more famous/popular the better.

Edited by CrimsonDalekanium